View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
visa tapani
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor:[Dave] View Post
There is some intersection in this feature request and Airon's Area Feature Request (http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=122). I'd prefer Area Selection over marquee selection because marquee needs you to watch out selecting the highest automation value pixel while area selection simply selects the entire range of values.

Ah right right, I read through Airon's feature request now. It looks pretty useful, I agree. However, it is not suitable for a few common automation editing situations, most notably when you DON'T want to select all the points on the selected area, but just e.g. the high/middle/low points. For example for me it is a very common situation that I marquee, say, only the lowest points on an envelope lane (say, start drawing the marquee selection from the middle of the lane) and then delete or amplify etc there. In this case all the other (higher) points are supposed to be left unselected and unmodified, so an "area selection" would not do the trick.

Of course there's nothing mutually exclusive in these feature requests - you could easily use one in one case and another in another, so I fully support Airon's request. But the area selection cannot supersede marquee selection simply because it doesn't fulfill all its functions.
visa tapani is offline   Reply With Quote