View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
@Steindork

Would you know if I could use a different ASIO driver with the Edirol that can produce a lower latency?

The best setting I can use with the edirol driver is comming in at 17.9 round trip and it just enough to through off my timming for vocals
I'm starting to think maybe just use the interface direct dry monitoring and forget using Reapers direct monitoring with FX.
"Monitoring with FX" is a general problem, mostly fast, expensive FW interfaces and PCI cards can provide real low roundtrip latencies. Some interfaces (EMU) have their own DSP to provide "outboard" FX for monitoring to compensate for that. If you only need some reverb/delay on the voice you can set up your stuff accordingly to add a little reverb from the DAW to the direct monitoring signal (the latency is only an additional predelay to the reverb then) but if you want to hear the signal through the whole chain you need low RT latency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
I've installed ASIO4ALL but I don't understand how to adjust the settings for the lowest latency. Using the Edirol ASIO I can only get 17.9ms usable latency and this is just enough to through timing off.
ASIO4ALL is sometimes an improvement, but I'm afraid it won't cut your RT latency in half. Basically turn the big horizontal slider in ASIO4ALL to the left until playback starts crackling and then back up a notch or 2.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote