View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #33
skipkent
Human being with feelings

Guitar and vocal jamming and songwriting is great in Live, even without a proper 'takes' feature. I'd love that, but just creating a new track is plenty easy. I love being able to taylor-make a short drum loop, put a guitar or bass passage over that of any length, add a lead line, vocal or whatever and never really have to worry about setting loop points, stretching/looping takes and so on. I love how that all happens automagically.

If, however, I'm recording a song that is already, for the most part, written, then Reaper rules the roost. I know where I'm going and Reaper stays out of the way and then helps in spades when needed.

#1 LIKE: Hard to say, but being able to make one track '80bpm' and the next one '160bpm' is great for racking up a ton of completely different guitar/musical ideas in one single project. If I later choose to expand on one, I delete the other takes and save it under a new name. Sometimes it's fun to just plug in, load up some loops or ezDrummer or whatever and jam away, keeping whatever I think might be of interest later on. I don't have to name a new project each time or anything. Just one, "Guitar ideas", "Lead practice", "hooks" or whatever. I also love the effectiveness and simplicity of some of the Ableton fx, compressor, eq and limiter especially.

#1 DISLIKE: Focus, from one area of the program to the next seems a bit flakey to me. The upshot for me is that sometimes the key-command I want works and sometimes it doesn't, and it's not always immediately clear why.

Last edited by skipkent; 11-07-2010 at 06:36 PM.
skipkent is offline   Reply With Quote