View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
zeekat
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
A hybrid system of stompbox and ampsim can work ok, takes the workload off the ampsim somewhat. I use a TM5 Ibanez [$25 ebay]pedal, its called thrashmetal but that's a misnomer, its not so high gain, really a kind of tube screamer with altered mids reminds me of old Judas Priest sound, its punchy so the pwr chrds sound good without a lot of added gain from the ampsim imo.
Yeah, AFAIK seasoned metalheads like Devin Townsend or that dude from Killswitch Engage used to split their distortions between their amps and some overdrive stompboxes like tubescreamer, setting low gain (like 3/10) on both sides. Apparently it works quite well, so maybe digital model of said setup works too. Hard to say, while I tune my guitars to B I wouldn't metal my way out of a paper bag

I have to agree about high-gain models in Line6 being reeealy high gain. Models in both POD farm and my old POD 2.0 are on average much more distorted than even the free stuff I leech from the internet. Actually I remember my old cheapo digitech RP doing the same thing - it probably sells better, will make problems when recording, but sounds great when tested in store