View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default A Golden Bandaid for Reaper's Achilles' Heel (MIDI Timebase)

Vote, please: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4530

Since recorded MIDI items only respond correctly to timebase after I have manually changed the option in Item Source Properties to ignore project tempo, why not have this as the default behavior?

It just makes sense.

If you haven't seen this problem I'll describe it:
Record a MIDI part without a click. Try changing the project tempo. You will see that regardless of timebase settings, the MIDI items are stretched. You can't align the project tempo to a MIDI item without altering it. If you go into the Item Source Properties and set the 'ignore' option on and type in whatever tempo you were at when you recorded (if you happen to remember what it was), now MIDI stretches only in Beats timebase and not Time timebase, i.e. MIDI items now respond correctly, just not by default.

That's how they should behave by default, no? Devs, please save us some confusion and make it default that items use recorded tempo instead of project tempo.

The main reason it should be default though is that if you've never noticed this problem and decide to mess with your tempo after having split the midi items many times in your project, changing the tempo anywhere will mess up your midi items all over your project and require you to enter Item Source Properties for every single one individually to regain correct behavior.

Also, using the detect tempo actions do not work correctly with MIDI items until you adjust this setting (the tempo is detected for the measure, but the MIDI item will change its length). It's an unnecessary step, IMO.

Thanks!

Proof for the skeptical:
The toolbar buttons are the SWS actions to set project timebase (Beats and Time)

Last edited by foxAsteria; 01-08-2013 at 12:30 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote