View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
Mike Pfeifer
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Well well. Color me impressed.

Reaper talks to the Digi 002 and all routing works (ins, outs, midi, etc). I couldn't detect any latency issues (beyond the latency that I had set in the 002's ASIO driver). So, mark down Reaper and Digi 002 as apparently fully compatible. (This is an 002R so no control surface to test.)

Some brief statistics --

Reaper:
Process startup time <2 sec
Dry memory footprint <20MB
Total elapsed time between downloading Reaper and first draft recording of a song with multiple audio tracks, midi virtual instruments, and processing: 10 minutes, not including performing the song

Pro Tools:
Process startup time >30sec
Dry memory footprint >250MB

This is really going to put me in a pickle. I love the concept of Reaper, I love the less-is-more design. I assume the feature set (that I care about, I don't do video etc) is basically identical between PT and Reaper, some things being easier here and others easier there. I could see running Reaper in my own studio. But I also use a few other studios in the area that all run PT, so if I commit to Reaper I will need to run a double boot partition in my brain, and I might have a stroke or something.

In any case, nice job all around. A very appealing product.
Hi,

Just getting started in Reaper, and I have a DIGI002R that I am using with it. I have gotten the ASIO driver to work, but I cannot figure out how to get Reaper to see the MIDI ports. How did you do this?

Thanks,
Mike P.
Mike Pfeifer is offline   Reply With Quote