View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #29
NAD
Human being with feelings

Here's a trick I use that works phenomenally:
I use Zebra but any synth with a sine wave oscillator will do, even the built in Reasynth.
Set up three or four tracks with each playing a steady sine wave corresponding to the harmonics of the pitch you wish to sound, e.g.:
1st track - C1
2nd track - C2
3rd track - G2
4th track - C3
You can go on for as many harmonics as you like but four is probably enough.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmoni...es_%28music%29 in case you were wondering).
The additive "SpectroBlend" osc in Zebra is perfect for this but as I said earlier any synth will do.
Next step is to automate the volume of each harmonic so that they fade in and out, the lower ones being predominant. For example, let's say if the feedback builds up over a couple of measures, first the fundamental would fade in, cross-fading into the first or second overtone briefly, then introduce just the slightest bit of the third overtone towards the end.
There's just an example. This could also be done with one or two synths with multiple oscillators being volume-automated separately.
Next, feed all those tracks into your amp-sim of choice (e.g. Amplitube for OP). The easiest way to do this in Reaper would be using a folder track.
For added authenticity try very briefly introducing a slightly detuned sine wave, I think this makes it sound great!
Mind you, I recognize that this style of "micro-editing" may seem mind numbing for some, but also great fun for those OCD among us!
NAD is offline   Reply With Quote