Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
BlessedOne72
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER on a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 733Mhz

Okay ...

is my Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 733Mhz, 1Gb RAM
at all of a decent machine to run e.g. Cockos REAPER (latest PPC-version support 4.75) or Avid / Digidesign Pro Tools LE 6.4 ?

is it worth it / reasonable to uppgrade this retrosaur at all cost-wise, etc .

I wouldn't be doing any realtime fx-processing ... just plain 16-track audio / 6-track MIDI recording on the go ... (:

The Audio-Hardware in hand is an old Digidesign DIGI-001 (specs . 8 x Analog, 1 ADAT, SPDIF + MIDI IOs) and a Roland TMC-6 - Trigger To MIDI Controller
for recording MIDI-data ;

would a normal secondary IDE-HDD succeed with this load ... or should I at least get myself a dedicated (IDE, SATA or SSD ) audio drive .

are there any legacy hardware dsp-accelerator cards (like those from UAD)
for such a "t"-rusty computer ???

Thanks for reading through ...

zergei W ;
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
serr
Human being with feelings

First, don't invest any money in that machine in upgrades. (Unless you can pick up another 1GB or so of RAM for $5). You can get into a used early generation Macbook Pro (with an Intel C2D) and put a SSD in it for $300 - $500.

But just try it (the G4). It's free to evaluate. You should at least be able to track small stuff like 16 tracks. Reaper is made to work with a wide variety of hardware (even Windows machines ).

Hardware cards for that machine that would do anything for you would be the older Protools HD system. Not a good investment here in 2014 unless someone nearly gives it away. Again, a C2D Macbook Pro with Reaper would run circles around it.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote