Old 12-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
benes
Human being with feelings

Default bugs with video window

I don't understand why but any video (.avi) work well in reaper and other don't: the video window bugs. It displays black screen or the screen freezes. Impossible to go back in history : this bug is total. The audio works but not the video. And if I try to render this video, reaper crashes.
But with other video it works well, allthought it's still ".avi" videos. I don't understand.
benes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
nofish

avi is just a container, this means it can contain different video formats in it.

I'm not much of a video guy myself but if you want help it would be useful if you can post some more info.

What's your operating system, Reaper version, go to source properties what does it say ?

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Video_Support
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
preachers

same problem here, mp4 format video.
windows XP SP2
reaper 4.30
preachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by preachers View Post
windows XP SP2
reaper 4.30
If it's possible and you want you can upload a small snippet of the video and I could check on my system if it's working here as I'm also on WinXP (SP3).

btw, do you have the FFmpeg libraries installed and checked if Reaper is using it for decoding as described in the link above ?
this usually gives better video performance than using Reaper's native decoder/encoder.

Last edited by nofish; 01-01-2013 at 09:01 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
RJHollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by preachers View Post
windows XP SP2
reaper 4.30
There is a thread on board that helped me resolve the stuttering, freezing of .mp4 video ... don't have the link off hand, but something I found within the past week or two.

It had to do with getting this file:

ffmpeg-dll-85761ef-win32.zip

dragging them into the main Reaper folder to install.

Fixed all the issues
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
benes

I've tried it. No change
Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
benes

I have already heard that avi files are "container" but I don't understand anything about it. If it's the only way to work with this videos, I would appreciate to learn more about it, and to learn how find the format which is inside this container.

I know the extensions that Reaper doesn't read : flv, mkv, mp4.But I don't know what format Reaper can read and edit correctly.

Nofish : I'm on windows 7. 64bits, and on reaper v4.3 x64.
Thanks to your proposition, but I will not send to you each video I work on it, each time I have a problem ! I prefer to know wich video formats reaper can read and hope they will grow in the next versions.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
airon

There's an easy solution to your problem.

Go to landoleet.org and grab the latest Reaper pre-release version, in this case v4.32 pre 8 x64, and install it.

Now go and grab the Video Lan Client player, also referred to as VLC here :

http://download.videolan.org/pub/vid...lc/last/win64/

Get the installer version and install it.

Start Reaper, and you should be able to play almost any video. Encoding video is a different matter, and does require those mentioned FFMPEG libraries.

What the new Reaper pre-release versions have added is making use of an installed VLC player, instead of those FFMPEG libraries for playback purposes.

Everyone who wants to try this, please post your feedback to the pre-release version in the correct thread in the Pre-Release forum(almost at the bottom of the forum section list). That's where all feedback for pre-release versions belongs.

If you have further questions about video formats, do a google search. There is a great deal of information out there.

A very nice basic introduction to video file formats and codecs can be found here:

http://www.xiph.org/video/vid1.shtml

and a WIKI text/picture version of the presentation with more links:
http://wiki.xiph.org/A_Digital_Media...28episode_1%29

Last edited by airon; 01-01-2013 at 03:41 PM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
media12

I know the extensions that Reaper doesn't read : flv, mkv, mp4.But I don't know what format Reaper can read and edit correctly.

Thanks to your proposition, but I will not send to you each video I work on it, each time I have a problem ! I prefer to know wich video formats reaper can read and hope they will grow in the next versions.
media12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Fran Guidry

Quote:
Originally Posted by media12 View Post

The formats that REAPER can handle depend on several things. First, which codecs you have installed on your computer. Windows comes with some codecs, Quicktime installs some, when you install video editing software it will often add codecs to your system. And when you install software associated with video cameras you will often add new codecs.

Beyond the system codecs, REAPER has two additional ways of opening and displaying video. Support for FFmpeg libraries has been a feature for a while now. Check this thread for information on downloading and installing the FFmpeg libraries: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=82459 These libraries provide support for a large number of video containers and streams.

As airon, the author of the thread I just posted, has mentioned in this thread, the latest development builds of REAPER have added a link to VideoLan VLC as a tool for opening and displaying video. If you follow the suggestions in his post above you will find that you can open many additional files.

For whatever reason, the REAPER team has not used the VLC extension to open FLV or MTS files, perhaps the range of files available will continue to expand.

But hopefully you can see that it's not a simple matter to specify which video files REAPER can process.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
benes

Thanks ! I will try this !