Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #201
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

No, but it's quite obvious to see that track folders and I/O system are very fundamental to Reaper's workflow. Both enable you to do busses (but you really want to use I/O (send/receive) for proper bussing), and things as fundamental as this usually aren't likely to change.

Reaper just does some things differently than other DAWs, so it takes some getting used to. There are no track types in Reaper, one track can be everything. When you grasp that, you will find that it's actually great that it's made this way. Hence, busses are already possible to do in Reaper, just not how you got used to it. Might as well get used to it, then. It's really as simple as drag and drop.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:05 AM   #202
phistermill

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Might as well get used to it, then.
Nah. I'll just stay on Sonar in my studio and upgrade that to X3. I really like the idea behind Reaper but everytime I look more deeply into the program I just come to the conclusion that it doesn't work for me all the way to make the change.

With the great pricing you would think that Reaper would be the most common DAW around. But still it isn't.

The funny thing is, I remember the discussions on the Sony Vegas forums when requests for a mixer and better audio routing came from the community. It was met by "Vegas doesn't work like that, get used to it".
Hence Reaper.
phistermill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #203
EvilDragon

So what exactly is the problem here? Busses are easily created in Reaper, as you've been shown in the other thread.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #204
Amether

Easy- Score Editor. I'd be happy with no other changes!
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #205
Mink99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I didn't mean that you could build an instrument rack, or a better instrument rack.

I meant that you might be able to create a better solution to finding your specific VSTis than an instrument rack can provide.
To take the example from cubase . The vst rack (F11) is a different way to handle vsts as reaper does. The reaper approach is to load the vst directly into a channel, like the instrument tracks in cubase.
The rack will provide a slot for a vsti that can be controlled from several midi tracks.

So for a vsti that is multi timbral and has several (midi ) inputs, the rack approach in cubase was the easiest way to handle this type of instrument. For a mono timbral instrument to play two different voices, two slots in the rack had to be filled with the same vsti. That was when the instrument tracks came in, plugging the vsti directly into a (vst) channel. This is similar to the reaper standard way of treating vstis.

To mimic the requirements of a multi input vsti in reaper, you can always create one channel with the vsti and several channels that create the midi data for the several inputs of the vsti. You can even make the channel containing the vsti the group folder for the midi tracks, which makes multi input vsti very easy to handle...
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #206
emanresu

http://www.buzzmachines.com/whatisbuzz.php

Years pass and still I occasionally look there.. This is kinda my favorite way of setting up the little plugins and stuff. It is a buggy program(at least 3-4 years ago) but still so so cool
Old 02-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #207
phistermill

Default It's not Reaper, it's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
So what exactly is the problem here? Busses are easily created in Reaper, as you've been shown in the other thread.
Well, the "problem" obviously is that it doesn't work in a way that suits me. The ways you've shown is to me a messy workaround which in no way is integrated intuitively (right click+ctrl+drag etc), and also creates a channel in the tracks lane. To me it stands out as a clumsy replacement for actual bus handling.
There are some really great features that I do like in Reaper.
To me - again - v4 won't replace my current studio setup. Maybe v5 will if some changes and features are added.
phistermill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:47 AM   #208
Philip Tyrer

Default Vertical window docking locations

Seriously, is anyone using only 4:3 monitors? Being only able to dock windows horizontally is really annoying. E.g. docking the Region/Marker Manager on a 27" iMac (fullscreen) is stupid and wastes a lot of space.

Drag-n-drop docking would be nice but I'd honestly, I'd be over the moon if it were possible to just richt-click "switch a window to dock on the right side".
Philip Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #209
DuX

I forgot to mention this little but really very bugging niggle [again]:

[img]http://***************/a/img163/7817/9f8m.png[/img]
Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #210
jimmey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Tyrer View Post
Seriously, is anyone using only 4:3 monitors? Being only able to dock windows horizontally is really annoying. E.g. docking the Region/Marker Manager on a 27" iMac (fullscreen) is stupid and wastes a lot of space.

Drag-n-drop docking would be nice but I'd honestly, I'd be over the moon if it were possible to just richt-click "switch a window to dock on the right side".
It is possible to dock per drag and drop on every side of the screen.
jimmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #211
PaulRain

in-line step sequencing
check this on the new version of Tracktion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJlZs...640&height=390
I've been a long time FLStudio user, where step sequencing is on a much higher level but something like this new feature on T5 will be cool
PaulRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #212
jimmey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRain View Post
in-line step sequencing
check this on the new version of Tracktion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJlZs...640&height=390
I've been a long time FLStudio user, where step sequencing is on a much higher level but something like this new feature on T5 will be cool
You can do that more or less. Hide all the notes you dont want in the inline editor and there you go
Old 02-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #213
foxAsteria

Default FINISH THE FUCKER :D

one word: POLISH!!!!!!!

no new features!

just get everything consistent, intuitive and finished! fix the old bugs and niggles. overhaul any core design flaws that're limiting forward progress.

(just a simple request )

i'd be more than happy to let an entire version cycle go just like that...

Last edited by foxAsteria; 02-03-2014 at 05:18 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #214
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
http://www.buzzmachines.com/whatisbuzz.php

Years pass and still I occasionally look there.. This is kinda my favorite way of setting up the little plugins and stuff. It is a buggy program(at least 3-4 years ago) but still so so cool
i started using buzz 2 decades ago... my first "daw"... *sigh*

but yea, that's a feature many of us would love (modular routing). still prefer how routing works in buzz...

it's been overhauled but still very buggy, esp. with all my old songs.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #215
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
one word: POLISH!!!!!!!

no new features!

just get everything consistent, intuitive and finished! fix the old bugs and niggles. overhaul any core design flaws that're limiting forward progress.

(just a simple request )

i'd be more than happy to let an entire version cycle go just like that...
I sort of have to agree with you Poo, things seem to happen so fast with Reaper that little gotchyas and slightly unpolished things get left behind.

On the other hand, I'm loving a lot of this new stuff even if it hasn't got some fancy GUI or simple setup.

I think you're right though, a little refining wouldn't hurt.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #216
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I sort of have to agree with you Poo, things seem to happen so fast with Reaper that little gotchyas and slightly unpolished things get left behind.

On the other hand, I'm loving a lot of this new stuff even if it hasn't got some fancy GUI or simple setup.

I think you're right though, a little refining wouldn't hurt.
yea, there's been some new one's i didn't know i'd love too. but how amazing would it be to have even one version where everything just *works?* one so refined where you might even consider not upgrading afterwards: REAPER 5, the unassailable tank.

then things can get all wacky and experimental again after that... hell let's just do that for the latter half of version 4...
Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #217
Shootkin

in general I'm also for having everything smooth and lukewarm. However, I'm afraid it'll go against the General Concept: polished fucker Reaper will be "one of ...", which should not be allowed at any cost. Apologize for posting this picture again, just love my artworks so much lol

Shootkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:27 AM   #218
PaulRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmey View Post
You can do that more or less. Hide all the notes you dont want in the inline editor and there you go
yes but is on a separate window, I ment something like that on the video, which you can modify straight from the tracks window
Old 02-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #219
jimmey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRain View Post
yes but is on a separate window, I ment something like that on the video, which you can modify straight from the tracks window
Click the midi item, activate the inline editor..... There you go: MIDI editing in arrange view. No separate window.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #220
PaulRain

what the eel... I really didn't see this.
thanks a lot.
apparently you know this function so, is any way I can have the note names displayed on the il-line editor?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:22 AM   #221
syntaxed2

Default Wishlist for Reaper 5

* FX Chain window fully customizable
* Routing window fully customizable
* Send/Receive/Master routing window fully customizable
* Right click menus fully customizable background
* Media/FX explorers & Project bay custom background images
* Region, Marker and Timeline fully customizable backgrounds
* Plugin containers -> Customizable top row toolbar
* FX Chain window -> A/B switch for all slots
* 2 MIXERS
* TCP/MCP VST preset rollout or buttons (to allow preset scrolling without opening plugin)
* Plugin preset per-file saving = 1 preset to one file (currently it saves all entries to 1 file, making it very hard to clean up without deleting the whole thing)

* Un-linked dockers (so that Alt-D minimizes focused only)

* MCP overlay command for auto-colored-faders(? based on track color)
syntaxed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #222
herzensdrang

sorry if anyone already posted this, went through 6 pages and my sight got blurry

please add (or is there anyone who can script this in walter to a theme, if possible? I would pay if necessary)

+ Binaural / HRTF implementation on each channel (like the pan-pot and midiassignable), maybe a "stereo" version too for the left and right channel (2 channel in (L/R) & 4 channel out (HRTF-L & HRTF-R), and an extra pot for wet/dry

+ something like "tokyo dawn proximity" as option for each channel

+ optional track layout mcp like the integrated comp/lim eq / saturation effect on each channel

+ optional: selectable point where to "send" from (e.g.: from inbetween the fxchain: eq-comp-saturation > send from: post-eq-comp pre-saturation)

+ something like a track mcp maker to put/remove custom buttons on mixing track for people like me without programming skills
and/or
+ more options in the standard reaper theme for tracks in tcp/mcp

Last edited by herzensdrang; 03-18-2014 at 08:45 AM.
herzensdrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:56 AM   #223
stumpbroke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phistermill View Post
Nah. I'll just stay on Sonar in my studio and upgrade that to X3. I really like the idea behind Reaper but everytime I look more deeply into the program I just come to the conclusion that it doesn't work for me all the way to make the change.

With the great pricing you would think that Reaper would be the most common DAW around. But still it isn't.

The funny thing is, I remember the discussions on the Sony Vegas forums when requests for a mixer and better audio routing came from the community. It was met by "Vegas doesn't work like that, get used to it".
Hence Reaper.
Yeah I used Sonar for since the first version, so Happy "Crashing and Rebooting"
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:25 AM   #224
Peach

Default AUDIO GHOST COPIES

Possibility to make an audio container/clip/part/item which consist of many audio items and which can be "ghost" copied, such that changes are reflected in all copies. This exist in all other DAWs and is necessary for working with sliced audio loops.
Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #225
todd_r

Session/Matrix View

PiP (Tracktion's edit clips has implemented this brilliantly)

Everything theme-able (including Cockos vsts)

Modular FX view

Menu cleanup/organisation

Built in groove tools

More creative midi tools (pretty much just copy FLStudio's)

Inline Step Sequencer

Proper Linux version

I think those additions would make my perfect DAW
todd_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #226
FnA

Make arrangement more solid. Do away with errors introduced when copying, duplicating, rippling, inserting time, tempo markers, etc.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #227
Mink99

From my last experiences :

Midi improvements (if possible)

More stable clock out , improved latency compensation
More stable external sync , reaper being clocked by an external master.

Stable means low latency and jitter free ....
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #228
chuckwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Session/Matrix View

PiP (Tracktion's edit clips has implemented this brilliantly)

Everything theme-able (including Cockos vsts)

Modular FX view

Menu cleanup/organisation

Built in groove tools

More creative midi tools (pretty much just copy FLStudio's)

Inline Step Sequencer

Proper Linux version

I think those additions would make my perfect DAW

You pretty much read my mind with everything on your list. I might perhaps add mp3 artwork/metadata support on export and m4a import. Also liveconfig with sws extensions is pretty brilliant but I think it would benefit from native integration.
chuckwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:18 AM   #229
Firedance

I'm fairly early days yet (both with Reaper & mixing etc) and have very few quiblles with Reaper .

HOWEVER one thing I would love to see addressed is the fiddly level faders and pan pots.

Too small for a start (I know this can be addressed with themes but it shouldn't need to be IMO) but more importantly far too jerky/overresponsive - if you know what I mean. I need to be able to comfortably move in increments of e.g. 0.1 db - maybe it's just me but as it is, I find that pretty awkward and you practically need a surgeons hand as far as I can see.
Firedance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:48 AM   #230
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedance View Post
I'm fairly early days yet (both with Reaper & mixing etc) and have very few quiblles with Reaper .

HOWEVER one thing I would love to see addressed is the fiddly level faders and pan pots.

Too small for a start (I know this can be addressed with themes but it shouldn't need to be IMO) but more importantly far too jerky/overresponsive - if you know what I mean. I need to be able to comfortably move in increments of e.g. 0.1 db - maybe it's just me but as it is, I find that pretty awkward and you practically need a surgeons hand as far as I can see.
I completely agree with you !
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 AM   #231
nightscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedance View Post
I need to be able to comfortably move in increments of e.g. 0.1 db - maybe it's just me but as it is, I find that pretty awkward and you practically need a surgeons hand as far as I can see.
Yes it is you. Learn how to use the program properly. Use Ctrl modifier and you can have fader resolutions of less than 0.1 db. Also fader behaviour can be modified in Preferences/Appearance/VU Meters:Faders.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:27 AM   #232
Firedance

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
Use Ctrl modifier and you can have fader resolutions of less than 0.1 db. Also fader behaviour can be modified in Preferences/Appearance/VU Meters:Faders.
OK, good to know.

I told you I was new to Reaper - what's with the attitude?

Quote:
Yes it is you. Learn how to use the program properly.
Firedance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #233
SamuelC

-Cockos Plugins in Mono version ( How was this missed?)

-1 channel tracks so we can have 1 channel busses ( yes like on a real mixing board)

-VCA group automation ( heavily requested)

-Ability for Reaper to know what is loaded on a track ( Stereo/ Mono file) .

This is why Reaper can not put the proper Stereo/Mono plugin version based on what is on the track ( many plugins come with only 1 dll plugin for mono/stereo)

-Prefader Meters ( Yes like the real desks for 30 years now)

-Automation Tracks ( aka Presonus Studio One, it's on of the main Reasons why I am on it)

-Mixer Snapshots are very messy right now, some things do not work

Overall Reaper needs to get in touch with the past on how audio work is done and is still done, there are things and workflows that can not be changed

1 channel tracks are a no brainer, this creates a mess with plugins right now as asking someone to uncheck the 2nd channel ins/outs on 30 tracks with 3-5 plugins each is very backward and a serious flaw in Reaper

-Mono Sends

Again going back to the issue of Reaper not knowing what is on the track
If a track is Mono, I load mono plugins on it then send it to a Mono bus.
That send should know that that track is mono and I should not be setting up a send when the Reaper should know to send the track on channel 1 since the track is MONO.

Overall look at a Real mixing desk and the job of Daw's was to not have the limitations that they had when in Reality this did not happened.
SamuelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:33 AM   #234
maxdis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Make arrangement more solid. Do away with errors introduced when copying, duplicating, rippling, inserting time, tempo markers, etc.
+1, definitively
maxdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:57 AM   #235
dukati

The option of more built in tools. I hate depending on third party tools (part of the reason I keep using other DAW's, but keep an eye on Reaper).
dukati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #236
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukati View Post
The option of more built in tools. I hate depending on third party tools (part of the reason I keep using other DAW's, but keep an eye on Reaper).
This is kind of a mute point (not meaning to offend) but anything the reaper devs create/add becomes a built in "tool" but we just call it part of the program and everything else made by people like SWS becomes an extension of that solely because it's made by others

I guess what I'm trying to say is..

If extensions like SWS didn't exist or you couldn't add your own scripts to reaper (via python etc) than you wouldn't even be able to ask for more built in tools to happen in the first place, instead you might simply say "I just want more stuff in reaper!"

I might have misunderstood you or that might not make much sense but to me I found it to be an amusing "chicken and egg" situation and for the sake of the 2 minutes it takes to install SWS (or the slightly longer time it takes for reascript setup) I'm totally glad they exist so that this request can even be asked for!

It means more developers us users can have a dialect with about getting features in reaper. This is one of the KEY reasons for me not to no longer use any other DAWs any more because important stuff I need will most likely be randomly put into the other DAWs without me asking and there's no point in asking as it won't get put in unless there's an on line petition and a few years wait (see most other major DAWs for examples here. I was in those forums!)

If you actually meant you think things like SWS should be brought into the fold and be part of reaper from install then the answer to why this won't happen is on these forums many times so it;s worth a search on this as it will make more sense.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #237
musicbynumbers

Quote:
The other reason is because having everything built in doesn't always make them better. They are normally more integrated yes but not normally as fully featured.

Besides, the APIs the developers have given the community allow for some impressive integration for sure.

Lastly, coming back to the first point. The developers for reaper (or most DAWS) can;t always be experts on everything and they may also have different ideas of what the DAW needs. With the APIs reaper has, users can expand on this greatly whilst still keeping the main reaper program slim and stable if the user doesn't need them.

Take Breeder's recent addition to the SWS extension for allow us to scan and normalise to the new level standard of EBU R128. This is something the devs might have not had time or the desire to add in but for me and people in media it is a massive massive plus point to the power of allowing extensions.

again.. sorry if I misunderstood you! I'm not having a go, just want to put over some valid reasons for why it is how it is so to speak.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 04-09-2014 at 06:10 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #238
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
These are rounding errors and can kind of be gotten rid off if you choose to have tempos locked to samplerate in the project settings and have snap set to samples in grid settings.

I too get annoyed at them but for someone who makes game music and SFX they are also quite useful as it allows for sample accurate looping.

I'm hoping that we can have more transparent options here though for sure
Old 04-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #239
dukati

Thanks for the response! I think we are talking about the same thing, but just have differing opinions.

I dont want to have to play with python or deal with a third party to get certain things to happen. I get that this is part of how reaper is structured, so I guess I dont expect it to change. Its just not the way I like things to happen.

If there were going to be extensions available for certain actions, I prefer to have an official Cockos solution available.

Steve
dukati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #240
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Thanks for the response! I think we are talking about the same thing, but just have differing opinions.

I dont want to have to play with python or deal with a third party to get certain things to happen. I get that this is part of how reaper is structured, so I guess I dont expect it to change. Its just not the way I like things to happen.

If there were going to be extensions available for certain actions, I prefer to have an official Cockos solution available.

Steve
I do get what you mean

Quite a few features do get created eventually by the devs at some point even though there are SWS versions if they are considered overall very useful to most users and not specialised (track manager and region manager as examples).

All that extensions are doing are allowing these things to be created faster and mostly more specific than if the devs put them in. Especially thigns that might be considered to be specialised areas.

Wouldn't you rather have something like cubase with the ability for users to create add ons for it? You would still have the exact same cubase but with more features if needed.

That's how reaper is now.

I'm curious what features you are talking about that are missing? Reaper 5 might be in development soon for all we know as it's been a while so it might get them in anyway