Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
zurek
Human being with feelings

Default Batch file overwriting

An unexpected behavior of Reaper, v. 4.32 but also noticed in earlier versions.

When the source and the target filenames are set to be the same, the Reaper is unable to produce the output file, as it is unable to overwrite the source file.

Reproduce:
choose source files for the batch.
set the output names to be exactly the same as the input names.
Run batch.
A dialog warning about overwriting files appears, offering the possibility to auto increment. This is not what we want, so we push the button "overwrite".
Files are being processed, but error message appears for each of them, stating that Reaper could not open the target file.
zurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
zetlen

Default Simple solution

Thought of working without reaper?
Have you heard about the "KrojamSoft BatchRenameFiles Tool"?
BatchRenameFiles Tool is a powerful tool, that allows you to quickly rename all the files in a specified directory. You can remove spaces, replace spaces with underscore, Uppercase/lowercase filename, add a prefix/suffix, remove/replace strings and also catalog files by adding an incremental number to the file name
Visit batchrenamefiles.org for full details
zetlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurek View Post
Files are being processed, but error message appears for each of them, stating that Reaper could not open the target file.
The first part is (kind of) to be expected since REAPER can't overwrite files it has currently opened in the project (that would only work for files not in use by an application), the second part is what worked fine here, are you sure you clicked the "Increment filename" button and not just checked the "Always silently increment...." checkbox?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
zurek

Sorry, I have just switched to WaveLab batch processor which does not have problem with overwriting a file which is being processed - this is expected behavior if the user ticks the checkbox asking the application to overwrite the file after processing.
I was proud of Reaper, but answers here make me a bit worried about the future of Reaper. Instead of trying to solve the problem for the next release, the thread tells me to switch to another program and another reply tries to suggest that Reaper is doing well its job. It is not. I still think this is a bug in Reaper: if Reaper is told to overwrite the files, then it should do it.

I was not talking at all about the auto increment function, that probably does what is necessary. I was only talking about impossibility to overwrite the files which are being processed. I would expect that Reaper would solve this by making a temporary output file while processing the source file, and when this is done, it would simply erase the original source file and save the temporary output file with the name of the original source file ... and the problem would be solved.
zurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:22 AM   #5
Anthropocide

v4.591 has the same problem. is it solved in the last version?
Anthropocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
foxAsteria

I cant comprehend the point of having a batch file converter which won't convert files in place. Wtf else would you want to do with it?? i even set the files offline first...