Old 08-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

Default Default 5.0 Nitpicky Edition

As with any new release for any piece of software, the Reaper community has all sorts of minor complaints about the new theme that will most likely never be addressed. So I figured - why not have a user-driven theme to fix it, similar to the Unofficial Patches you can download for games like Skyrim?

Ladies and gentlemen, noobs of all ages, I invite you to feast your eyes on the wonder and magnific... alright, that's a bit of an exaggeration. The easier customization and mildly enhanced useability of Default 5.0 - Nitpicky Edition:

Installation

Via ReaPack:

Copy and paste this URL in Extensions > ReaPack > Import a repository: https://github.com/ReaTeam/Themes/raw/master/index.xml. "Default 5.0 Nitpicky Edition" should show up as a search result, or if you filter the category by Themes.

Manually:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqkb6kv8qo...rThemeZip?dl=1
Note: Due to file size limits I can't use stash.reaper.fm anymore. The above link is to my Dropbox - please let me know if it goes dead.

Changes

v15 - 06/23/18:

- Added dots to indicate the depth of tracks in folders

- Theme is now available on ReaPack, which will allow for auto-updating if and when there's another release.

v14 - 04/29/17:

- Fixed some image resizing issues with the new untinted layouts. Whoopsie.

v13 - 04/28/17:

- Added untinted versions of the Large and Small TCP/MCP layouts

v12 - 04/17/17:

- Gave the transport elements from v11 a smooth gradient rather than matching the toolbars' harder two-color appearance.

- Fixed an issue from v11; the dark grey line at the top and bottom of the transport bar are gone, pending a better solution.

v11 - 04/16/17:

- Restyled the transport status, time signature, bpm, playrate, and selection boxes to match the toolbar buttons' appearance, rather than the flat, undefined grey they had before.

v10 - 10/31/16:

- Added a Strip Minimal layout in the mixer for chrisdodge.

v9 - 10/27/16:

- Added images for Latch Preview mode on envelopes.

- Now includes the additional Master Mixer Panel layouts that were added to the default theme a few months back.

v8 - 03/27/16:

- Monitoring buttons in the Session Mixer layout now light up blue just like the other layouts. Cheers to some guy named Brad who emailed me the new image.

- On the track panel, the FX and FX On buttons now look like two separate buttons instead of a strange flat mishmash. I'd like to tweak them more, but it seems like a lot of work.

- Changed my mind on the centered text thing from the previous version.

v7 - 01/16/16:

- Fixed the position of folder icons in the TCP Separator layout.

- Folder tracks using the Minimal layout in the TCP now have their label text centered because I think it looks nice, goddamn it.

v6 - 10/17/15:

- Added proper images for the monitoring buttons in Small and Standard-sized layouts, so we don't have to rely on Reaper's ugly automatic resizing for them. Cheers to timothys_monster for the images.

v5 - 10/03/15:

- Changed the colors for dual pan sliders to match the RCA color standard (left = white, right = red) because I guess some people get REALLY cranky about that sort of thing. *shrug*

v4 - 09/10/15:

- Added Minimal layouts for the track panel and master track panel. These remove everything except the track names and the track number ribbon, so people like me who don't use anything on the TCP can make it extra small.

- Added a wider Separator layout to the mixer.

- Tried to make the MIDI editor match the rest of the theme a little more. It ended up looking a bit like Ableton Live, but it's closer than it was before.

v3 - 08/23/15:

- Meter backgrounds are now invisible, and don't inherit your custom coloring. (Tracks with a lot of channels will break this if they get too small, due to how Reaper handles their meters)

- Added blank separator layouts to both the TCP and MCP. They do show a small strip when selected for ease of working with them. For bonus points, you can use the Track Manager to decide if you want each separator visible in the TCP, MCP, or both.
Be aware that these separators are still normal, fully-functional tracks. I'd recommend making yourself a track template with Recording disabled (right-click the record arm button), Master/Parent Send turned off (track I/O window), and controls Locked.

- Added an example untinted Standard layout. Could do this easily for all of them, but the menu would get insanely cluttered.

- Added a Session Mixer Sidebar layout, courtesy of xpander.

v2:

- Replaced the odd-looking glossy volume knob on the track panel with the same image as the pan knob, for now. I'm open to better ideas.

- Replaced the somewhat-invisible track monitoring button on the track panel with a nicer version, courtesy of Sexan. Also adjusted all of the layouts so the monitoring button attaches to the track input, giving it the same appearance as the envelope button next to it.

v1 highlights include (okay, this is literally all I did):

- Restored the color tinting options in the Preferences menu. You still have to set colors for your tracks or they'll remain that sad, lifeless, concrete gray, just sitting there, sapping the life and energy from your mix.
Apparently v5 themes override your choices for tinting on media items and just use the images included in the theme. If item tinting is really important for you, you'll have to unpack the theme and delete "item_bg.png" and "item_bg_sel.png" from the image folder.[/i]

- Removed the solid green meter images, so the meters can be colored in Reaper's theme editor. The meters are also set to my own personal color preference, so if you don't like them... well, that's why there's a theme editor. Duh.

- Empty effect, parameter, and send slots in the mixer are a little darker so they stand out better from the background.

On the to-do list:

- Matching monitoring buttons for some of the different layouts. This would be a bit time-consuming, so don't get your hopes up.
- Better contrast on the various scroll bars and things like that.

---

Feel free to make requests if there's something about the Default 5.0 theme bothering you. Do be aware that this theme is NOT meant to be a complete overhaul, since the 5.0 theme is honestly pretty sexy as is - all I want to do is tidy things up, sand down the rough edges, and try to deal with the complaints that seem to be the most common. You know, like when someone puts out a new guitar amp without a master volume and all the power-tube-saturation guys are screaming "WHYYYYYYYYYYYY???!"

Last edited by Lokasenna; 06-24-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
timothys_monster

Woohoo! Thanks for trying to get your hands dirty

Nice ideas so far! I already have a request, actually. You may have heard about this ridiculous volume knob in the TCP.

The user sergy172 had a good idea by just making it black:
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1576/De...ReaperThemeZip

But unfortunately you can't just copy the png's, because the image won't fit to the 5.0 theme. It's not glued to the label and a bit too small...

So that would be a nice advantage
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
Lokasenna

I've been fiddling with it for half an hour and I just can't make a dark knob look good while still being attached to the label - and personally, I think having it attached to the label is the only thing that even suggests it might be a volume knob.

Cut/pasting from the pan knob image is really easy though, so I can do that and at least we'd be rid of the stupid shiny part:

Old 08-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
EpicSounds

I'd like to use the session mixer black fader layout for the mixer but need a fixed height (520 pixels?) on the fader section. I only want the top part to expand.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
EpicSounds

also, the monitor enable button needs to be "not invisible" too.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:21 AM   #6
Sexan

The black vol knob was in early stages of V5 theme you can extract it from first alphas.
Regarding monitoring button I've done this

I used Master Track Mono/Stereo button and modified it a little

Last edited by Sexan; 08-16-2015 at 02:36 AM.
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:28 AM   #7
timothys_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
The black vol knob was in early stages of V5 theme you can extract it from first alphas.
Regarding monitoring button I've done this

I used Master Track Mono/Stereo button and modified it a little
This looks beautiful! Would you mind sharing the png's and Walter code snippets?
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:36 AM   #8
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
This looks beautiful! Would you mind sharing the png's and Walter code snippets?
Yes no problem,but I didn't finished (I'm not very graphical) the third state (auto monitoring) so if anyone want's to do that it would be cool.

https://stash.reaper.fm/24832/MonitoringPNG.zip

This is for large layout,
Walter (order only):
Code:
; order of controls (1-15)
def order_recarm     1
def order_label      2
def order_volume     4
def order_io         3
def order_pan_width  5
def order_mute       6
def order_solo       7
def order_fx         8
def order_fxbyp      9
def order_phase      13
def order_env        10
def order_recmode    12
def order_recmon     11
def order_fxin       14
def order_recinput   15

set pad              [5 5]
set n_border         [10 10]
set e_size           [0 0 23 23]

;            element          w   h  pad glu  sf  
variance     order_recarm     0   0   0   0   0      
variance     order_label      80  0   -5  0   0         
variance     order_volume     0   0   -1  0   0          
variance     order_io         7   0   -5  0   0            
variance     order_pan_width  28  0   0   0   0
variance     order_mute       0   0   0   0   0             
variance     order_solo       0   0   -6  1   0             
variance     order_fx         -5  0   0   0   0            
variance     order_fxbyp      -9  0   -5  1   0          
variance     order_phase      -6  0   0   0   0          
variance     order_env        28  0   0   0   0            
variance     order_recmode    16  0   -5  0   0          
variance     order_recmon     1   0   0   0   0           
variance     order_fxin       -1  0   0   0   0            
variance     order_recinput   70  0   -5  1   0

Btw I'm using Large Media layout right now,but in that picture I was using standard Large

Edit : I've created Auto monitoring button so the zip is replaced with new one with all PNGs (there are 2 AutoMonitoring buttons,one same light blue and second light green)

Last edited by Sexan; 08-16-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
Lokasenna

Cool, I'll add those when I get a chance.

As for the black volume knob, the theme timothys_monster linked to has the same knob as the old prerelease theme. The problem was that, if we're keeping the knob "glued" to the label rather than seeing space between them, a black knob + almost-black label makes it almost invisible.

EpicSounds - I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how to edit the layout to do what you want. It's also a little more of a personal preference than what I want to do with this theme.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #10
EpicSounds

Every theme I touch breaks. I give up.

I can tell you the theme Alternate 4.61 has a fixed-height mixer. When you extend the height of the dock the fader section stays the same height.
Doing that with 5.0 default layout everything scales evenly. That doesn't work with the session mixer layouts, it's a mess.

Another request - Master mixer layout with no fader.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:58 PM   #11
StuartMcBurneySounds

Is there any way to get the Mute and Solo buttons to show in the TCP? I almost always work with all tracks minimised so the lack of controls on the new interface is pretty annoying.

compared to

This new interface just seems so much less usable.
Attached Images
File Type: png R4.PNG (25.9 KB, 27997 views)
File Type: png R5.PNG (13.7 KB, 27881 views)
StuartMcBurneySounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:03 AM   #12
edkilp

I always wonder why track separators aren't just a given.....I'm amazed at how many themes don't have them in the layouts. Can I be the only one who likes to have some blank space between groups of tracks? I think not!
I messed with the default theme for about 3 minutes, until I saw no separators, especially for the MCP. That was a deal-breaker for me...even more thankful for Default Commala! Has to be version 3 though. Can't stand those staggered tracks in the folders.
Nice idea to ask for modifications here in one thread. I'll keep an eye on the progress!
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
EpicSounds

I don't think most users use different layouts, other than maybe globally.

Instead of separators I've sometimes used a sidebar layout for my folders or top-level tracks so they're blatantly obvious.

I have a cycle-action assigned to MCP Double-Click.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ycleaction.png
Old 08-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
Scir

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartMcBurneySounds View Post
Is there any way to get the Mute and Solo buttons to show in the TCP? I almost always work with all tracks minimised so the lack of controls on the new interface is pretty annoying.
You may want to modify the "flow" order in the rtconfig file. I modified mine because I had the exact same reaction as you (where did my tcp Mute and Solo buttons go?). See copy/paste lines below (not pretty, but look at the numbers assigned to the order_mute and order_solo parameters).

#>---------------------------- TRACK CONTROL PANELS -----------------------------------

clear tcp.*

; ---------------------------- USER : mess with these:----------------------------

; order of controls (1-15)
def order_recarm 1
def order_label 2
def order_volume 3
def order_io 10
def order_pan_width 9
def order_mute 4
def order_solo 5
def order_fx 11
def order_fxbyp 12
def order_phase 13
def order_env 6
def order_recmode 14
def order_recmon 15
def order_fxin 7
def order_recinput 8
Scir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #15
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartMcBurneySounds View Post
If you stretch to the right they appear. But I guess you want them showing in very small footprint. We'll need long name and short name TCP I guess.

Agree for separators they are very practicle makes viewing a breeze.

Also when Master out is disable I think red is more obvious then nothing (black).
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #16
henge1

Can the track panels be tinted with this theme. I have the tint option ticked in preferences but the panels stay that nasty grey!
Old 08-19-2015, 04:31 AM   #17
Lokasenna

Tinting hasn't been changed at all, so tracks and items should be colored exactly the same as if you were running the stock v5 theme. That is, they should be colored the same as the mixer panel in the picture up top.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:22 AM   #18
Pinknoise

I too have grey panels and thought I'd get them like in the picture on top.Also the meters are still green. Basically no real change at all.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #19
Lokasenna

I suppose I should ask, do you guys have track colors set? Reaper defaults to grey for everything, so... yeah. Other than that, I have no idea what would cause that problem - this theme is literally Default 5.0 with a couple of images deleted and a couple of images altered.

As for the meters, that's more of a behind-the-scenes change. In previous version of Reaper, you could pick your own meter colors from Reaper's theme editor - v4 and v5's default themes disable this. I re-enabled it, and I actually had changed it to a green/yellow/orange but it reset that for some reason. Regardless, if you open the Theme Editor and scroll down a bit you'll find color settings for VU meters. Have fun.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #20
Lokasenna

v2! See the top post for changes.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:19 PM   #21
Barksy

appreciate your work here mate, subtle but effective, however i am sure time consuming to do. The meters are great!

is it just me, or are sliding volume faders more easily accessible than a volume knob?
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:31 AM   #22
Sexan

Can somebody make VU background transparent?It is explained here but I don't know how to do it
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=130398
Old 08-20-2015, 04:14 AM   #23
Lokasenna

Hmm... I had a look and I vaguely understand what's going on, but it'll take some reading. I'll see what I can do.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:42 AM   #24
Sexan

Thanks!
Btw 2 small errors regarding Large layouts (monitoring button)
Code:
;            element          w   h  pad glu  sf  
variance     order_recmode    16  0   -5  1   0          
variance     order_recmon     1   0   0   1   0
w on recmon needs to be 1 (its 1 pixel less now),and pad on recmon needs to be -5.
After that Icon will look sharper and it wont have that line from recmode
Old 08-20-2015, 05:58 AM   #25
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I suppose I should ask, do you guys have track colors set?
I'm not sure I understand here...I have a colorset loaded for my color toolbar...??
Old 08-20-2015, 06:00 AM   #26
Sexan

Got it for MCP ,with the help of X-Raym and his theme!

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/24884/mcp_vu.png
This file needs to be in theme (I've modified it for this)

and this is how it looks like in theme:
Old 08-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #27
unions8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
I always wonder why track separators aren't just a given.....I'm amazed at how many themes don't have them in the layouts. Can I be the only one who likes to have some blank space between groups of tracks? I think not!
I messed with the default theme for about 3 minutes, until I saw no separators, especially for the MCP. That was a deal-breaker for me...even more thankful for Default Commala! Has to be version 3 though. Can't stand those staggered tracks in the folders.
Nice idea to ask for modifications here in one thread. I'll keep an eye on the progress!
There are separators in R5. They are named ee --- Strip Just the track name. You can see it on tracks 11 and 16...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snímek obrazovky 2015-08-20 v*16.36.25.jpg (60.5 KB, 1200 views)
unions8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #28
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
I'm not sure I understand here...I have a colorset loaded for my color toolbar...??
Theme editor, set VU colors. These are unlocked in this theme.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #29
Pinknoise

Already done ! I was talking about TCP color.

Last edited by Pinknoise; 08-21-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #30
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unions8 View Post
There are separators in R5. They are named ee --- Strip Just the track name. You can see it on tracks 11 and 16...
Ok well I guess I skipped right over those. But I thought I tried them all. Anyway, thanks for that. Still not as pleasing to look at as my current theme. But good to know they are there.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #31
Mercado_Negro

Adding my grain of sand here:

Sidebar layout ala REAPER v4

Copy and replace this in the rtconfig.txt:

Quote:
macro make_sidebar sbar_w lp tp rp bp ; make a sidebar of defined width, with padding (left top right bottom)
set w_plus_pads + + [sbar_w] [lp] [rp]
set mcp.size + w_plus_pads
set mcp.fxbyp + +
set mcp.fx + +
set mcp.fxin + +
set mcp.io + +
set mcp.recinput + +
set mcp.label + + [0 -38 -2 -22]
set mcp.pan + +
set mcp.pan.label + +
set mcp.width + +
set mcp.width.label + +
set mcp.mute + +
set mcp.solo + +
set mcp.env + +
set mcp.phase + +
set mcp.volume.label + +
set mcp.volume + +
set mcp.recarm + +
set mcp.recmon + +
set mcp.recmode + +
set mcp.meter + +
set mcp.extmixer.mode [1]
set mcp.extmixer.position - - [83 66 75 h] [0 0 0 mcp.trackidx{h}] + [0 0 0 0] [0 0 0 73]
set mcp.trackidx + * [w_plus_pads] [0.5]
set mcp.folder folderstate<0 + [w_plus_pads] . .
endmacro

macro variance loc v2 v3 v4 v5 sf
set e##loc##_variance [loc 0 v2 v3 v4 v5 sf]
set e##order_pan_width##_variance trackpanmode==3 [loc] .
endmacro
Then search for Layout "ab --- Standard Sidebar" "sidebar" and copy/replace this:

Quote:
make_sidebar 67 7 60 7 7
This is how it looks like:

NOTE: This only works for the Standard layouts and BREAKS the small and large sidebar layouts.
Attached Images
File Type: png standardsidebar.png (6.8 KB, 27699 views)
Old 08-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #32
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Btw 2 small errors regarding Large layouts (monitoring button)
w on recmon needs to be 1 (its 1 pixel less now),and pad on recmon needs to be -5.
After that Icon will look sharper and it wont have that line from recmode
padding - yeah, I noticed that after I uploaded it. I had set it to -6 to reduce the gap between the button and the label a bit more, but obviously that doesn't look nice now.

width on recmon - Good catch, cheers.

mcp_vu - I'll throw it in there, thanks. Any idea how to do that for the master, TCP, and multichannel tracks?

Quote:
At some point you have actually set the track to a color. There are a number of ways to do it, but you can just right-click on the track, and look for Set Track Colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Adding my grain of sand here:

Sidebar layout ala REAPER v4
Neat. Couple of questions for you:
- Is there anything productive that could be done with the blank space at the top-right?
- I'd rather not break layouts if necessary. Would you be able to rewrite the small and large ones to work with that?
- Is it possible to have v4 sidebars as a separate set of layouts (standard, small, large) so users can have the choice?

Last edited by Lokasenna; 08-20-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #33
Lokasenna

Question for everyone: While working on a separator strip, I just discovered that having the command "set tcp.trackidx [0]" makes the track numbers disappear. Just to be sure, am I going to break anything by doing that?
Old 08-21-2015, 02:02 AM   #34
Sexan

Quote:
Any idea how to do that for the master, TCP, and multichannel tracks?
Sry can't figure out how to do it for TCP (I've tried).Multichannel works but at some point (6ch+) background returns (as I've understood that is the common problem)

Master :
https://stash.reaper.fm/24890/mcp_master_vu.png

Last edited by Sexan; 08-21-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:53 AM   #35
Pinknoise

Quote:
At some point you have actually set the track to a color. There are a number of ways to do it, but you can just right-click on the track, and look for Set Track Colors.
I thought the colors on the first pic you uploaded was the main color for all tracks. Like analog default or something. There is the confusion...
Old 08-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #36
xpander

Here's an additional Session Mixer sidebar layout I did some time ago.

The new MCP images below in the link. Drop the whole unpacked "sidebar" folder inside the session folder.
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1624/Se...%20sidebar.zip

And the new WALTER code (in blue). I inserted it right after the other Session Mixer layouts. If doing so, please note how the EndLayout lines go, also for the previous layout.

Code:
Layout "dd --- Session Mixer Blue Fader" "session/blue"
set mcp.volume .
EndLayout

Layout "de --- Session Mixer Sidebar" "session/sidebar"
set mcp.size 				[163 501 0 340]
set mcp.extmixer.mode 			[1]
	set mcp.extmixer.position 	[87 0 75 475 0 0 0 1]
set mcp.trackidx 			[74 483 20 18 0 1 0 1]
EndLayout
EndLayout
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #37
Lokasenna

Quote:
I thought the colors on the first pic you uploaded was the main color for all tracks. Like analog default or something. There is the confusion...
Oh, I see. Nope, I use SWS to automatically color everything, so I never have to touch them.

xpander - what's the second EndLayout for?
Old 08-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #38
xpander

Quote:
xpander - what's the second EndLayout for?
First ends the given layout and the second the first Session Mixer layout which didn't have its own EndLayout line earlier. Layout parsing DarkStar and cubic13 were discussing in here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=165332

It's really handy when you have most of the settings same for several different layouts; Set all the parameters for the first layout and not closing it before the next ones (no EndLayout line after it), the following layouts will get the same settings except where they have specified something else.

Last edited by xpander; 08-21-2015 at 01:12 PM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #39
Lokasenna

v3! Again, see the top post for changes and an updated picture.

You'll find a couple of untinted layouts for the Standard panels. It would be really easy to add them for all of the layouts, but it would make the layout folder absolutely huge. Alternatively, I could get rid of the tinted ones. Thoughts?

Last edited by Lokasenna; 08-23-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:05 AM   #40
Sexan

One nitpick ON the nitpick ,I've forgot to remove the shadow on the "ON" states of monitoring button (to be consistent with other buttons,there are no shadows when active).
If you want I can upload them or just remove the shadows on Monitoring_on and Auto

Btw, on Tcp VU one left channel seems to be 1px wider than right one ?

Last edited by Sexan; 08-24-2015 at 03:28 AM.