Old 02-08-2017, 11:32 PM   #721
soundchaser59
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I assume you have tried reaper in wine. Most stuff really just works, just a few warts here and there. Once we have a good WDL port, native reaper will be very good in linux with just the builtin fx + stuff like u-he and the other native plugs.

If the wine bridges for vst plugins don't work for all plugins, it's just a matter of elbow grease (open source). Same goes for WDL, if someone who knows how to program graphics in linux applies himself, the port could probably advance very quickly.

Cockos has given us users all we need to have to make it happen (like the macros and scripting), but am not sure how long it will take if we expect Cockos to do it..
I am getting there, slowly but surely, one way or another I will be trying to get Reaper to run in WINE soon, hopefully in the next day or so. (starting with AVLinux) I can program a nice user interface in C# for my office workers to talk to a database, but Microshaft stuff is not really full fledged development, thanks to the developers crutch we know as Visual Studio. My skills are not on a level needed to do anything custom or dazzling with Linux, although the last few days trying to get audio production up and running in Linux has made me surf the local community college listings for Linux oriented class offerings.

I'm 99% sure I can get Reaper to work with WINE, esp with all the existing forum posts and support. The show stopper for me will be if my vst instrument plugins won't load or install or whatever it is they need to do to work inside of Linux Reaper. I still don't fully understand how that will happen, but if I can't use Superior Drummer under reaper Linux then I may have to back down for a while. Pianoteq has a Linux version of their plugin available, but I also need the drums and, hopefully, Sonik Synth and SampleTank as well. The last thing I want to do is convert my music work over to a different daw program like Ardour. I do not want to learn another daw software. I am hopelessly hooked on Reaper.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #722
sonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumfix View Post
I'll try to translate:

"I don't know nothing about linux other than there seem to be a lot of different distributions that one can download for free. I also don't know nothing about development on linux, so, being a mediocre developer struggling with VST development for Windows and OSX i don't think i'm competent enough to start development for another platform where the possibility of financial return is pretty low.

I'm already plagued by all those Windows users that want to use my plugins for free, pirated inside a pirated Ableton Live on their pirated copy of Windows.

Now, these Linux people are smart, damn smart, a lot less susceptical to advertising than the Windows and OSX sheep. They compare every commercial VST against similar free alternatives and only spend money if there is a real benefit over the free ones. This makes making an income from sales of my mediocre plugins even harder if not impossible. So sorry, no market for me."

Eh, IIRC 2% of all desktop users are using Linux, pro audio users even less. Then there are different structures or pakage systems (apt, pacman, blahbla) you maybe need to support, if a linuxVST runs with for example Ardour, it might not work with other DAWs like tracktion or Bitwig ... are there other close-to-major DAWs? Like the U-HE plug-ins.

Why struggeling with Linux support, when you can make your plug-in great again for rond about 98% of the potential market? If you want to live from your work, you'll have to make such decitions.

Last edited by sonnie; 02-09-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #723
FKAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser59 View Post
I am getting there, slowly but surely, one way or another I will be trying to get Reaper to run in WINE soon, hopefully in the next day or so. (starting with AVLinux)
Just last night I was trying to decide between Ubuntu Studio and AVLinux to overwrite my Mint Partition, then I saw *AVLinux Architecture: x86*. Ubuntu Studio it is then! Haha, as I wrote this Ubuntu just finished.

https://livecdlist.com/av-linux/
Old 02-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #724
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKAB View Post
Just last night I was trying to decide between Ubuntu Studio and AVLinux to overwrite my Mint Partition, then I saw *AVLinux Architecture: x86*. Ubuntu Studio it is then! Haha, as I wrote this Ubuntu just finished.

What's wrong with Mint?
Old 02-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #725
FKAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
What's wrong with Mint?
Did I say there was anything wrong with it?

edit/ More correct to say - did I infer that there was something wrong with it?

I still have Mint on another machine, and Slacko64 on another and SuSe on a flash and DAW PUP on DVD with Reaper 3.x.

Last edited by FKAB; 02-09-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #726
soundchaser59

Quote:

I'm fine with everything in 32 bit. I'm more interested in getting my existing VST instruments to work. 64 bit wont' do me much good if my instruments won't load and I have to learn a new DAW program. I've been barely pushing the envelope with 32 bit so far, and everything I read says it is more than adequate for my home gig. Someday I will try to move up in the world......
Old 02-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #727
FKAB

Quote:
I'm fine with everything in 32 bit. I'm more interested in getting my existing VST instruments to work. 64 bit wont' do me much good if my instruments won't load and I have to learn a new DAW program. I've been barely pushing the envelope with 32 bit so far, and everything I read says it is more than adequate for my home gig. Someday I will try to move up in the world......
No probs, just thought I'd let you know! I'm off to install Ubuntu Studio now. Mint sux0r :rollseyes:
Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #728
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Did I say there was anything wrong with it?

edit/ More correct to say - did I infer that there was something wrong with it?

I still have Mint on another machine, and Slacko64 on another and SuSe on a flash and DAW PUP on DVD with Reaper 3.x.
Just thought you might know something I don't and it would encourage me to try another distro
Old 02-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #729
FKAB

Quote:
Just thought you might know something I don't and it would encourage me to try another distro
No, Mint is an excellent Distro...also.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #730
Jack Winter

Quote:
No, Mint is an excellent Distro...also.
For debian users, I'd reccomend giving the kxstudio addon repos a look: http://kxstudio.net/

It will add a normally well working and flexible audio setup to most debians. Some even say it's the best solution
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #731
michael diemer

Quote:
Will they run in Carla? Personally I'd never load a large VI template into Reaper, either on Windows or Linux, I always use some kind of separate VST host and Linux Reaper offers 64 virtual MIDI ports which makes things easier.
I have no problem running 40 virtual instruments in Reaper. I'm using two instances of Aria for GPO, three of Play for EWSO, one each for Vienna Sp. Ed. and Kontakt (which hosts Cinematic Strings), plus several Dimension Pro instances with one instrument per synth. No problems at all, but I have 16 GB of Ram and an i7 CPU; this may not work on smaller systems.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #732
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
Eh, IIRC 2% of all desktop users are using Linux, pro audio users even less. Then there are different structures or pakage systems (apt, pacman, blahbla) you maybe need to support, if a linuxVST runs with for example Ardour, it might not work with other DAWs like tracktion or Bitwig ... are there other close-to-major DAWs? Like the U-HE plug-ins.

Why struggeling with Linux support, when you can make your plug-in great again for rond about 98% of the potential market? If you want to live from your work, you'll have to make such decitions.
IMO, there is no need for all this. Build a linux dll, and let the distro's packagers deal with packaging, it's what they are there for. I'll admit that if you want to use some kind of copy protection, things could get more complicated.

But on the other hand and provided that you want to provide some kind of executable or internet challenge/response copy protection scheme, you can always statically link your executable, which will lead to a bigger file, but it will run on any linux system.. Again let the packagers deal with packaging..
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #733
Jack Winter

Quote:
I'm 99% sure I can get Reaper to work with WINE, esp with all the existing forum posts and support. The show stopper for me will be if my vst instrument plugins won't load or install or whatever it is they need to do to work inside of Linux Reaper. I still don't fully understand how that will happen, but if I can't use Superior Drummer under reaper Linux then I may have to back down for a while. Pianoteq has a Linux version of their plugin available, but I also need the drums and, hopefully, Sonik Synth and SampleTank as well. The last thing I want to do is convert my music work over to a different daw program like Ardour. I do not want to learn another daw software. I am hopelessly hooked on Reaper.
FWIW, if you use reaper in wine, it's probably easier to keep all your audio software in the reaper environment, using linux components will mean patching apps into jack, having to start them, etc. IMO unneeded hassle

I've used superior drummer in reaper/wine before, so chances are good it will work, unless superior has started using some newer windows components that wine still doesn't implement. I have 64b IK products like amplitube, t-racks, and the registration centre working with no problems. I also have an older Komplete installed and working, but there have been some issues with newer versions, don't know if they are fixed or not. The vast majority of plugins and instruments ought to work. No waves though
Old 02-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #734
soundchaser59

Quote:
FWIW, if you use reaper in wine, it's probably easier to keep all your audio software in the reaper environment, using linux components will mean patching apps into jack, having to start them, etc. IMO unneeded hassle

I've used superior drummer in reaper/wine before, so chances are good it will work, unless superior has started using some newer windows components that wine still doesn't implement. I have 64b IK products like amplitube, t-racks, and the registration centre working with no problems. I also have an older Komplete installed and working, but there have been some issues with newer versions, don't know if they are fixed or not. The vast majority of plugins and instruments ought to work. No waves though
Thanks, I am hopeful. An ideal outcome will be that I run Reaper under Linux (WINE if that's what it takes) with Superior Drummer, Pianoteq, Sonik Synth II as my staples, and hopefully SampleTank, and I forgot to mention Ueberschall Elastik Sax (fka Liquid Sax) would be a nice touch as well.

I'm trying to install the AVLinux custom wineasio package now.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #735
osxmidi

Quote:

Do you mean it's 32 bits?

AVLinux has had a 64 bit version for quite a while now.

Processor Architecture i386, x86_64

Default Desktop Xfce

AvLinux is pretty fast with Xfce.

Some of the things I didn't really like were the strange password install and dvd's don't automount but that can be fixed at startup if someone wants.

AVLinux has a low latency kernel and distros like Mint don't.

----------------------------------

AVLinux automount dvds

Edit /etc/fstab

The UUID will be different.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# /
UUID=b2265342-7eb6-4473-8117-d4be7f931f1f / ext4 noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-09-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:05 PM   #736
soundchaser59

I have succeeded in getting my latest version of (Windows 32 bit) Reaper to install under (32 bit) AVLinux WINE, and it imported my existing license key and all of my themes, layouts, configs, etc. So my old look and feel is there. So far so good....

Next step tomorrow evening will be the attempt to install Superior Drummer. This is huge. If I get my drums working that's more than half the battle.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:33 AM   #737
danboid

osxmidi:

Cool hack! It sounds like it goes some way to fixing one of Linux REAPERS biggest missing features at the moment.

Its great that people are doing cool stuff like this with Linux REAPER before its even gone beta.

soundchaser59:

This is the wrong thread for discussing REAPER under wine. This is the Linux REAPER native thread. There are countless other threads on here discussing REAPER under wine.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:18 AM   #738
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by danboid View Post
osxmidi:

Cool hack! It sounds like it goes some way to fixing one of Linux REAPERS biggest missing features at the moment.

Its great that people are doing cool stuff like this with Linux REAPER before its even gone beta.

soundchaser59:

This is the wrong thread for discussing REAPER under wine. This is the Linux REAPER native thread. There are countless other threads on here discussing REAPER under wine.
Thanks.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:51 AM   #739
osxmidi

I've managed to get a windows vst running in a Linux NATIVE Reaper track.

I'm using the windows TPA-1 vst for the test http://www.igniteamps.com/en/audio-plug-ins

Old 02-10-2017, 06:06 AM   #740
FKAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post

I'm using the windows TPA-1 vst for the test http://www.igniteamps.com/en/audio-plug-ins

Hey thanks for pointing that out re-AV Linux, was going by the Live-CD info page. Obviously needs updating.

I installed Ubuntu Studio over Mint yesterday. Nice work, did you use the Reaper version listed above?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:16 AM   #741
osxmidi

Quote:
Hey thanks for pointing that out re-AV Linux, was going by the Live-CD info page. Obviously needs updating.

I installed Ubuntu Studio over Mint yesterday. Nice work, did you use the Reaper version listed above?
I'm using 64 bit AV Linux and also 64 bit Ubuntu Studio on multiple computers.

I mainly use OSX though.

I've also got Windows but I don't like to use it much.

In the images above I'm actually using Ubuntu Studio 64 bits with a Snow Leopard wallpaper and I have reversed the terminal colours (black and white) to mirror the OSX terminal, so it looks a bit like a Mac lol.

What I'm doing with Reaper is using the latest Linux NATIVE version and running a Windows vst on a track using vst and wine programming code that I have been playing around with.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #742
FKAB

Quote:
I'm using 64 bit AV Linux and also 64 bit Ubuntu Studio on multiple computers.

I mainly use OSX though.

I've also got Windows but I don't like to use it much.

In the images above I'm actually using Ubuntu Studio 64 bits with a Snow Leopard wallpaper and I have reversed the terminal colours (black and white) to mirror the OSX terminal, so it looks a bit like a Mac lol.

What I'm doing with Reaper is using the latest Linux NATIVE version and running a Windows vst on a track using vst and wine programming code that I have been playing around with.
I don't want to kill Mint on my other machine, but I'll get around to getting an AV install done too...and possibly try what Jack suggests on Mint!

Is this the latest http://landoleet.org/dev/ ?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #743
osxmidi

Quote:
I don't want to kill Mint on my other machine, but I'll get around to getting an AV install done too...and possibly try what Jack suggests on Mint!

Is this the latest http://landoleet.org/dev/ ?

Yeah.

reaper_529_developer_linux_x86_64.tar.xz and libSwell-x86_64-debian-stretch-gtk3.tar.xz

then copy the libswell.so file to where reaper5 is.

It doesn't have vst UI capabilities.

It can load Linux native vst's but they have no UI.

The vst wrapper that I've been talking about puts the UI back.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #744
clepsydrae

Quote:
then copy the libswell.so file to where reaper5 is.
This never works for me; I get the "./reaper5: symbol lookup error: /path/to/REAPER/libSwell.so: undefined symbol: gdk_init_check" and I have to build my own libSwell. In case you do, too, here are the cliff notes:

apt-get install git build-essential libgtk-3-dev
git clone http://www-dev.cockos.com/wdl/WDL.git WDL/
cd WDL/WDL/swell
via here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=342
...move the $^ one term in on the line: $(CXX) -shared -o $@ $(CFLAGS) $(LFLAGS) $(LINKEXTRA) $^
...so that it becomes: $(CXX) -shared -o $@ $(CFLAGS) $(LFLAGS) $^ $(LINKEXTRA)
make
then softlink to libSwell.so from inside REAPER/:
ln -s /path/to/libSwell.so libSwell.so
Old 02-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #745
FKAB

Amazing work guys, went in no problem. Took me a moment to figure out Jack!

I love the CPU silence, unlike Windows.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:06 AM   #746
Finnish

Wow! Could you elaborate how? There are some win vsts that I need (basically free ones) and native linux is my way to go, it's been ages since I've booted to windows..

Quote:

Old 02-11-2017, 02:58 AM   #747
danboid

osxmidi:

You big tease!
Old 02-11-2017, 03:14 AM   #748
Drumfix

Note: Some native linux VST plugins use gtk2 for GUIs. The libSwell in binary format is gtk3, which makes these plugins crash.

You can compile a gtk2 libSwell using the steps provided by clepsydrae above
with following changes:

"libgtk-2-dev" instead of "libgtk-3-dev"
"make GDK2=1" instead of "make"
Old 02-11-2017, 04:38 AM   #749
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
Wow! Could you elaborate how? There are some win vsts that I need (basically free ones) and native linux is my way to go, it's been ages since I've booted to windows..

It's a Linux NATIVE vst that loads a windows vst dll internally and then Linux NATIVE Reaper just sees it all as a regular Linux Native vst.

From Linux NATIVE Reaper's point of view, it's just a Linux Native vst.

So, the windows vst can be used on a Linux NATIVE Reaper track(s).

Testing still needs to be done.

So far I've got everything working, the audio etc.

I'll probably test it with the Kontakt vst once I install Kontakt and the dlls it wants.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:00 AM   #750
FKAB

Quote:
For debian users, I'd reccomend giving the kxstudio addon repos a look: http://kxstudio.net/

It will add a normally well working and flexible audio setup to most debians. Some even say it's the best solution
Hi Jack, I'm going to try this approach too. Would that reason be the rolling updates in Mint?
Old 02-11-2017, 05:56 AM   #751
Jack Winter

Quote:
Hi Jack, I'm going to try this approach too. Would that reason be the rolling updates in Mint?
I'm an archlinux user, so don't know all that much about the situation on debian (used it many years ago). kxstudio is the work of one guy, who made extra repos to add audio software on top of debian.

It's all designed to work well together on top of most debian distros, and has a wide selection of audio software and comes with it's own utilities to control jack, create bridges betwen alsa/pulseaudio/jack, linux plugins, etc. It even has wineasio and a patched wine which may help achieve lower latency.

So in essence it will turn most any debian into an audio distro, and if I understand what the users are saying, many times it does a better job at it..

AFAIK, it doesn't contain any linux kernels, so you'd probably want to install at the least what often is called a low latency kernel from your normal distro (or possibly a realtime patched kernel if you can find it).

The kernel is situation is a little confusing, many so called studio distros don't have a rt kernel and make do with a low lat one. Mostly this works fine, except for people wanting really low latency without any xruns at all. To see what kind of kernel you have, the output of "uname -a" ought to contain at least PREEMPT. PREEMPT RT would indicate a realtime patched kernel.

Last edited by Jack Winter; 02-11-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #752
osxmidi

Kontakt running under Carla patchbay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_2PaBmCCU

I have not tested Kontakt with my Carla patchbay (patchbay16) Linux native vst wrappers but it's possible to do it (see the Carla wrappers I posted), how stable it would be would depend on a few things.

The Carla patchbay vst needs to include (or be compiled for) windows vst support.

The hardest part might be trying to install Kontakt in the first place.

I've tried installing the Kontakt 5 demo and wine puts the VC Runtime 64 bit dlls in the wrong directory during the Kontakt install and everything is a total mess and wine and winetricks don't want to install the standalone VC Runtime 64 bit packages either so it's workaround time but I ran into missing VC Runtime dll problems doing the workaround below and I think a manual copying workaround seems to be the only way at the moment on my system.

-------------

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...estingId=81310

During installation Wine needs to be configured to Windows 7, but the application will not run unless Wine is running under Windows XP mode after installation.

Native versions of MSVCP120.DLL and MSVCR120.DLL need to be installed in the appropriate system directories as installation of the Visual C++ 2013 packages do not install the .dll's properly. Configure overrides for both of these .dll's to "native".

1. Use the Wine Configuration tool "winecfg" to set the Windows Edition to Windows 7
2. Install Kontakt
3. Obtain the .dll's from an existing Windows installation, or from a dll site such as www.dll-files.com
4. Place the .dll's in the following directories:
a. 64 bit .dlls go into /home/username/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
b. 32 bit .dlls go into /home/username/.wine/drive_c/windows/syswow64
5. Use the Wine Configuration tool "winecfg" to set the override for the .dll's to be set as "native"
6. Use the Wine Configuration tool "winecfg" to set the Windows Edition to Windows XP
7. Run Kontakt

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-11-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #753
FKAB

Quote:
I'm an archlinux user, so don't know all that much about the situation on debian (used it many years ago). kxstudio is the work of one guy, who made extra repos to add audio software on top of debian...
Well I got KXStudio installed on Mint, what do you reckon on this for the RT side? https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/linux-image-rt-amd64
Old 02-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #754
Jack Winter

Quote:
Well I got KXStudio installed on Mint, what do you reckon on this for the RT side? https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/linux-image-rt-amd64
I really don't know what to recommend. If wheezy is ok for your mint, then I suppose that kernel is worth a try. There is also http://pengutronix.de/software/linux-rt/debian_en.html which you could check out.

My recommendation would probably be to get everything else working first and tackle the -rt kernel last.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #755
mschnell

Quote:
7. Run Kontakt
What about the necessary license install ? "Kontakt" (not "Kontakt player") does not run without an installed license (using the appropriate Internet aware software by NI such as "Native Access 1.x"). And "Kontakt Player" only runs libraries that need to be installed using a similar license (e.g. via Native Access).

-Michael
Old 02-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #756
soundchaser59

Quote:
soundchaser59:

ok......
Old 02-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #757
FKAB

Quote:
I really don't know what to recommend. If wheezy is ok for your mint, then I suppose that kernel is worth a try. There is also http://pengutronix.de/software/linux-rt/debian_en.html which you could check out.

My recommendation would probably be to get everything else working first and tackle the -rt kernel last.
Thanks Jack. One or two hiccups but all done now. I went with the Mint Low Latency Kernel and all the KXStudio packages appear to be working.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #758
soundchaser59

Quote:
soundchaser59:

Doesn't matter for me now at this point.....a message from the AVLinux guru says he is no longer supporting or developing anything for AVLinux. So I'm out of that game now......
Old 02-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #759
osxmidi

I don't think I'm going to get the Kontakt 5 demo installed on my system that uses wine 1.6.

This person did get it going with wine 1.9 https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=16524 but with some possible performance latencies and maybe the vst would perform better as it doesn't bring in the wine audio layer and when/if I eventually install the thing I might be able to tell.

Edit: Wine 2.1 installed the Kontakt5 Demo ok.

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-12-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #760
osxmidi

From what I can make out, the WDL libswell can translate Reaper windows based calls to Osx and Linux Gtk/Gdk calls.

The mouse pan knob bug seems to have been introduced into the WDL Gtk/Gdk code somewhere along the line, maybe not too far back.

I tried some earlier Linux Native Reaper versions and the mouse pan knob bug wasn't there, so someone could track down the bug in libswell.

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-11-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Closed Thread