Old 02-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
BlindFish
Human being with feelings

Default Unexpected delay / latency issue

Hi there,

i am a complete newbie to Reaper and have installed it onto my new DAW PC to try it out. I am absolutely blown away about all the customizations and features but also have a little issue which i couldn't solve myself so far.

My setup includes a I7-6700k with 32 GB RAM and various SSD and HDD drives. Right now i am testing a Behringer UMC404HD audio device that features direct monitoring. My master keyboard is a NI Komplete S88 and i use it to send MIDI data out to my Korg Kronos and my Yamaha Motif workstations. But when doing this within Reaper, a noticible delay can be heared when pressing a key on the NI keyboard to trigger the Korg, for example. As this also happens when the direct monitoring with zero latency feature is turned on, this seems to be a MIDI issue as there is no latency when a key is pressed directly on the Korg's keyboard. Does anyone have an idea why this happens and how it could be eliminated?
BlindFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
Amack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFish View Post
Hi there,

i am a complete newbie to Reaper and have installed it onto my new DAW PC to try it out. I am absolutely blown away about all the customizations and features but also have a little issue which i couldn't solve myself so far.

My setup includes a I7-6700k with 32 GB RAM and various SSD and HDD drives. Right now i am testing a Behringer UMC404HD audio device that features direct monitoring. My master keyboard is a NI Komplete S88 and i use it to send MIDI data out to my Korg Kronos and my Yamaha Motif workstations. But when doing this within Reaper, a noticible delay can be heared when pressing a key on the NI keyboard to trigger the Korg, for example. As this also happens when the direct monitoring with zero latency feature is turned on, this seems to be a MIDI issue as there is no latency when a key is pressed directly on the Korg's keyboard. Does anyone have an idea why this happens and how it could be eliminated?
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=63 might
Old 02-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I've also noticed a similar issue when playing hardware synths from my Yamaha KX8 with its MIDI routed through REAPER to other hardware synths. I posted a more detailed reply in the thread Amack linked to above.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
RezaYazdi604

I'm having a similar problem. I'm using the ReaSamplOmatic5000 VSTi and import my recorded wav file but when I play the note on my MIDI, it seems there's a delay before playing the wav file. Can someone help?

Thx
RezaYazdi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:19 AM   #5
BlindFish

@Amack & Readave: Thanks, i will read through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezaYazdi604 View Post
I'm having a similar problem. I'm using the ReaSamplOmatic5000 VSTi and import my recorded wav file but when I play the note on my MIDI, it seems there's a delay before playing the wav file. Can someone help?

Thx
Actually, this sounds more like an audio latency related issue depending on Audio I/O devices or setup. You should tell something more about your specific setup to receive helpful advice.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:36 AM   #6
RezaYazdi604

I have a homemade MIDI keyboard that just sends MIDI Notes to my laptop through USB. Then I recorded a sample wave file from my instrument (dulcimer) and used ReaSamplOmatic5000 plugin to play back that wave file through my laptop speakers. I tried carefully to start the wav file with no delay. That's where I hear 0.3-0.5 sec delay from the time I hit the key on my keyboard until I hear the wav play back.

I tried a different SW, SynthFont on the same Setup and I don't hear any delays.

Do I have to do any specific setting to minimize the delay?

Thanks again for the help
Old 02-17-2017, 02:21 AM   #7
BlindFish

For me it sounds like the delay you would expect from running DAW processed audio from a platform without the necessary support for doing so. I am not familiar with this sampler plugin you are using within Reaper but would assume that it will also offer audio processing features that will bring in the latency but you may also be limited by your general hardware (cpu, ram) within your setup.
Maybe the use of something like ASIO4ALL (http://www.asio4all.com/) could help here but i've never used it and have no experience at all and i am not sure if you will have any benefit from it when there is no audio input signal to be processed.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
RezaYazdi604

Thank you. I'll look it up. Really appreciate it.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
Fergler

What do you your numbers top right look like?

(Those are mediocre numbers, using WASAPI, because I'm not at my interface atm)
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
Amack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
What do you your numbers top right look like?

(Those are mediocre numbers, using WASAPI, because I'm not at my interface atm)
You might want to try ASIO4ALL with your computer's internal sound "card". You should be able to get much lower latencies than WASAPI.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:10 PM   #11
RezaYazdi604

thanks everyone. With your help I resolved my latency problem.

Originally the audio device was WavOUT which had ~200mSec.
I switched it to WASAPI and I was able to reduce it to ~40mSec.

I downloaded and installed ASIO4ALL and with a couple of teaks, I was able to get it down to 8mSec! which is perfect.

Really appreciate it.

Is there anything even faster than ASIO??? Just curious.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #12
Amack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezaYazdi604 View Post
thanks everyone. With your help I resolved my latency problem.

Originally the audio device was WavOUT which had ~200mSec.
I switched it to WASAPI and I was able to reduce it to ~40mSec.

I downloaded and installed ASIO4ALL and with a couple of teaks, I was able to get it down to 8mSec! which is perfect.

Really appreciate it.

Is there anything even faster than ASIO??? Just curious.

As far as I know, ASIO4ALL is the fastest option for PCs. Macs use core audio instead of ASIO - which may or may not be faster than ASIO4ALL. A lot depends on the audio interface used with them. Note that if you don't want audio "colored" by your computer's sound "card", you should turn off all of its audio "effects" (via its Windows control panel.)

Good Background Info and Interface Data Base

Some audio interfaces don’t report their latencies properly. But it’s easy to measure. You’ll probably need to run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode on Windows 10.

Gearslutz’s Audio Interface Low Latency Performance Data Base

Last edited by Amack; 02-18-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Amack is offline   Reply With Quote