Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
Woods1
Human being with feelings

Default More I get in the More I fear The Reaper

This thing is like a maze. It seems like the more I get into it the more confusing it seems.

For example - A few days ago I spent a fair amount of time going over the metronome and pre roll settings. And also project start time, project start measure and sett zero to edit cursor (all in project settings). Then another day I spent a fair amount of time figuring out how to fade in and out the entire song so I could upload a copy to mmy SoundClick page. I did this by viewing the master track and fading that. But I don't think I saved that change after I rendered the song I closed reaper without saving. And I don't see the fade graphics now when I view the master track.

But now Weird things are happening. Such as when I press record I can't hear anything until I hit the beginning of bar 1. And when I press play I can't hear my drum track until it hits the beginning of bar 1.

can you tell me what you think is going on?

I am starting to think Reaper is a complicated little beast.

Ciao,
Woods

Last edited by Woods1; 03-07-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Woods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:19 AM   #2
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods1 View Post
This thing is like a maze. It seems like the more I get into it the more confusing it seems.

For example - A few days ago I spent a fair amount of time going over the metronome and pre roll settings. And also project start time, project start measure and sett zero to edit cursor (all in project settings). Then another day I spent a fair amount of time figuring out how to fade in and out the entire song so I could upload a copy to mmy SoundClick page. I did this by viewing the master track and fading that. But I don't think I saved that change after I rendered the song I closed reaper without saving. And I don't see the fade graphics now when I view the master track.

But now Weird things are happening. Such as when I press record I can't hear anything until I hit the beginning of bar 1. And when I press play I can't hear my drum track until it hits the beginning of bar 1.

can you tell me what you think is going on?

I am starting to think Reaper is a complicated little beast.

Ciao,
Woods
re: the master track fade, bring up the master track in Track view (usually Ctrl-Alt-M) if it's not already visible and press 'V' to show the master track volume envelope. You would see, and be able to edit, the master fade there
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:32 AM   #3
barrymk

I came to Reaper after a couple of years of n-Track crashing on me hourly. Yes there is a steep learning curve to Reaper but it's very stable and full featured and very customisable. I don't get far into the custom side as I'm a non-tech recorder but the more you use it the more you will appreciate it. Stick with it. Cheers
Old 03-08-2017, 04:02 AM   #4
atza

Don't fear the Reaper

(sorry just coudln't resist )
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:32 AM   #5
Coachz

Do you need to right click arm and turn on monitoring live media? Reaper is so deep and flexible it can be a lot to take in. Try to watch some videos when you have a spare 10 minutes to get exposure

http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

Metronome explained
http://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187860
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #6
Woods1

When I bring up the master track I can not see any envelopes. So I think they were removed.

The problem must be related to metronome, pre roll etc settings.

If you have the metronome set for 2 bars and a count in and a pre roll all tangled up in there - and then you hit record - is it possible that you do not hear anything in your headphones until you reach a certain bar?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
Coachz

Quote:
When I bring up the master track I can not see any envelopes. So I think they were removed.

The problem must be related to metronome, pre roll etc settings.

If you have the metronome set for 2 bars and a count in and a pre roll all tangled up in there - and then you hit record - is it possible that you do not hear anything in your headphones until you reach a certain bar?

They are not tangled up. You can have either or both. Sound starts after count in and at pre-roll.

This should explain it
Old 03-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
They are not tangled up. You can have either or both. Sound starts after count in and at pre-roll.

This should explain it
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, I looks as if you're starting you songs at 1.1.00? I always leave 2 bars for count-in, and give the intro a chance to breathe. In other words I start the song on bar 3.1.00.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
Woods1

I am sure that when I finally see the light on this "minor detail" I will smack myself for not getting it sooner.

But so far it just lies beyond my comprehension. I have downloaded every single Video that Kenny has done in MP4 format. So that I do not have to strream them repeatedly as bandwidth around here is like horse and buggy days.

So what are your settings for click count in, Metronome, pre roll and track start time etc.? Do you have a negative number in any of those?
Old 03-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #10
Greedy

Quote:

I'm a little confused here - wouldn't your project start on bar 1? Why would you hear anything prior (unless you're just talking about hearing the metronome preroll)? Maybe post a screenshot of your track view and one of your metronome settings.
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #11
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, I looks as if you're starting you songs at 1.1.00? I always leave 2 bars for count-in, and give the intro a chance to breathe. In other words I start the song on bar 3.1.00.
If you set it in project settings you can start at 1.1.00 and have two bars too! Project Settings / Project start measure -1.

To me sheet music starts at 1.1.00 so I like my songs to start on bar one, beat one and still get 8 count in. This does it. Pre-roll during record let's you catch any grace notes that might fall before the beat.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
bob

The thing about Reaper is there are many ways to do the same thing.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #13
Tod

Quote:
If you set it in project settings you can start at 1.1.00 and have two bars too! Project Settings / Project start measure -1.

To me sheet music starts at 1.1.00 so I like my songs to start on bar one, beat one and still get 8 count in. This does it.
Yeah, I know Coachz, but like I said it seems to breathe a little better. Plus I've been doing it that way for nearly 30 years.

Quote:
Pre-roll during record let's you catch any grace notes that might fall before the beat.
Although I've known about the minus count-in, I actually never tried it because I wan't sure you could record over that section. To be honest I've been to lazy to try it, so it's good to know. I'll have to try that.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #14
RDBOIS
Banned

I also a former N-Track user, but needless to say after discovering Reaper I would never go back. Ohhh wait,..., I just said it?! Oh well :/

I also find all the functionalities of Reaper overwhelming, but I enjoy knowing that there's always more for me to discover, or that it probably can do what I'm wondering if it can do. If that makes any sense.

I'm seeing my compositions and song arrangements complexify as my knowledge of Reaper grows. The same thing is happening to me with my house renovation/building skills; the more tools I get the nicer the homes become.

Just to let you know how overwhelmed I am, I still haven't upgraded to the newest Reaper version. In some strange way I feel like my plate is already full, contains more than I can eat, so why get a bigger plate?! But I know I eventually will as I keep growing...
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #15
Woods1

Default Hey Greedy --- to your question

I have never done a screen shot I will look into how to do it.

But regarding my dazed and confusion ...

What is happening is this: I arm mytrack and press record but I do not hear any thing in my cans until the cursor gets to bar one. I am talking about through y mics. But when the cursor funally gets to bar one then I can hear myself (gut and vox)

Even the drum track that is already laid down does not start hearing it until the cursor gets to bar one. Even though the drum wave form starts at the very beginning.

Am I losing my mind or what?
Old 03-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #16
lowerbout

It is amazing that this thread has gone this far with no mention of more...
lowerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #17
Coachz

What record mode does the Options menu show?
Old 03-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #18
Woods1

Record Mode is Normal/

In lieu of screen shots -
Here are all the settings in Metronome:

Count in measures: 2
count in before recording has a check mark
Start count in at start of measure has a check mark.
Pre-roll before recording has a check mark.
Start pre-roll at start of measure has a check mark

And settings in project Settings:
Timebase for items is et to: beats (position,, length, rate)
Timebase for tempo is set to Beats
Project start time is set to: -0.04.000
Project start measure is set to: 0

when looking at the ruler the first number at the far left of the ruler is 0.1.00 and the time underneath it says -0.04.000.
Then the first bar shows 1.1.00 and time underneath it says 0.00.000

When I press play even though the drum file shows a graphic starting at 0.1.00 -- you do not hear the drums until the cursor reaches the 1.1.00 mark on the ruler. This is also when I can begin to monitor signal from my mics. (the mic channels are in record armed)

can anyone digest this problem?
Old 03-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #19
Woods1

I have just set everything to 0 and disabled the metronome and set the project start time to 0.

But still the drum track is not heard until it gets to the 1.1.000 mark on the ruler. And can not monitor until then either.

Although the meters show signal as soon as play or record is pressed.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:11 AM   #20
Coachz

Try copying the drum track to a new track. Can you post the project? Audio should play all the time in play mode except during count in.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #21
Woods1

Default Coachz

I have read your piece on Count in and Pre Roll a few times.

My situation is similar in that I can not hear the drums or begin to hear (monitor) from my mics until the cursor gets to 1.1.000.

But I have turned all count in and Pre roll off (zero) and the situation is still the same.

Unless you have to close reaper for the changes to become active ??

I will try opening Reaper again to see if anything has changed.

What do you mean "can I Post The Project?"
Old 03-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #22
Coachz

By posting I mean that you zip up your project and audio files and put them on google drive or dropbox so we can look at it. I just tried mine and had no problems hearing at bar -1.1.00. I have count in and pre-roll off.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #23
Tod

Quote:
By posting I mean that you zip up your project and audio files and put them on google drive or dropbox so we can look at it. I just tried mine and had no problems hearing at bar -1.1.00. I have count in and pre-roll off.
Yeah, I tested to, and it works fine.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #24
lowerbout

You might want to check the section "Troubleshooting Record Modes and Monitoring" in the User Guide. There are many possible configurations, though none that I know of that would cause your problem.
lowerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #25
Woods1

Default Total Frustration with this DAW

Not easy to to get up and running with this thing getting tired of reading manuals and listening to tutorials and still having problems.

My problem must have to do with the master track fades that I did. Even though I have removed the master track the drum track does not come in until the first bar (which is where I set the fade in to when the master track was up) And the drums fade out at the place that I had set the fade out on the masster track before. so now even though the drum track goes on for several ore bars you can not hear it after where the initial fade out was. But I have removed the aster track sop why are the darn fades still active?

Last edited by Woods1; 03-20-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 PM   #26
Woods1

I finally figured out the problem on my own after two freaking weeks.

I removed the master track. But every time I brought it back to check and see if the fades were there I could not see any fades.

But then just now I hit "v" and the volume envelope came up and the fades are still there.

That is why in the holy cursed time that I could not hear the drum tracks or hear my mics on the other tracks when i tried to record until the curser got to the 1 bar mark. Because the cursed fades were still active.

Thanks for your help folks.

Woods
Old 03-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #27
Greedy

Default Keep at it

Glad you figured it out. I understand the frustration- Reaper (or really any other professional DAW) is a complex piece of software that allows you to do complex things, but I usually don't need to do complex things. It is way more DAW than I need for about 95% of stuff I do, but glad the functionality and flexibility is there when I need it. I've certainly had plenty of frustration trying to figure out what box to uncheck in some sub menu to get things working the way were the day before. For me, it can be rewarding - hey I learned something new!
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #28
Woods1

So now I have finished my absolute final set of scratch tracks.
Here it is:

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/p...&q=hi&newref=1

so I am still using the M/S technique for these scratch tracks.

Can you tell me why the three tracks with the gut and vox on them -- have 3 sets of wave forms. I dleted the Scratch 4 tracks before I started this final scratch track and there was no wave forms in the three tracks before I started.

But I did record 3 times before I got the one I liked. But I thought every tie I stopped recording the dialog box asked me if I wanted to save all or delete all -- and I think I chose to delete all. But there is 3 sets of wave forms in each track.

Could this be a copy of each take that I did?

Woods
Old 03-21-2017, 07:11 PM   #29
zappsunzorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or go to project settings and set the starting measure to -2, that way you do not have to translate your measures in your head all the time.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:37 AM   #30
Coachz

-1 gives two bars of count in I believe
Old 03-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #31
Woods1

Another frustrated reaper evening.

Last edited by Woods1; 03-27-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #32
grinder

Don't mean to burst your bubble Woods1
The answer with the V in it was given to you via the first reply to your question you ever got!
A quiet word, read and digest the answers, slow down.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #33
Tod

Quote:
How do you remove the volume envelope?
Just select the envelope so that it becomes bold and then right click on it. At the bottom of the drop down menu, you'll see see a way to "Clear" or "Remove" it.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:07 AM   #34
funkydrummer1966

Default Editing

I'm new to daw and reaper... so I wondering am I the only one that finds editing live drums in reaper incredibly hard?? I follow along with the videos... but it never works . Getting frustrated and ready to try pro tools!
funkydrummer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #35
Woods1

It is an incredibly complex thing for me. I too am new to it all and I am not naturally inclined to learn software like this. I too have been extremely frustrated but I don't think that I would find Pro Tools or any other DAW any less complex. I have just put the manual on my tablet and I have audio tutorials on my mp3 player. But there is no substitute for playing with it. I am not able to spend enough hours per day or week playing with it. But I think that regardless of your time commitment -- It is not for the faint of heart.
But we will never surrender.

What (specifically) are you finding hard?