Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #161
msundh
Human being with feelings

drag and drop
Old 03-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #162
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
drag and drop
Fucking nice! Man, that's going to be useful. Thank you, and nevermind for my last comment.
REAmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #163
ashcat_lt

Man, that was kind of tough! And not just because I had to listen to that chick sing that song 16 times.

I really tried to put aside any ideas of "that's not how I would have done it" and just listen to the pieces as presented. There were several that were really close, and almost just splitting hairs to pick between them. There were several that were really bad. I really don't want to be mean. I know we're all at different stages and it's at least as much about learning and just having fun than anything else, but there were a number of them that I didn't bother listening through because they were obviously way out whack to begin with. I think even the best of them could have been better at what they are and none of them really went the direction I thought would work best. Easy to say when I didn't submit anything, I know. Overall, it really was interesting to kind of see different people's interpretations of this thing, the subtle and not-so-subtle differences.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #164
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Yes I think I know which one is orange based on my votes. xD
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #165
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I think even the best of them could have been better at what they are and none of them really went the direction I thought would work best. Easy to say when I didn't submit anything, I know.
Yeah, heh heh, I don't think anybody knows how they would do it until they've done it, especially having not heard any of the other submissions yet. After I've heard all the submissions, there's always something I wish I'd done a little differently.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #166
msundh

For me there were three that distinguished from the others.
Two that was better than the rest and mine that was worse than the rest
Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #167
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Man, that was kind of tough! And not just because I had to listen to that chick sing that song 16 times.

Imagine the number of times if you'd mixed the song? lol

Quote:
...almost just splitting hairs to pick between them.

Agreed.

Quote:
... not-so-subtle differences.
That would be me. Sorry about inflicting that on the group. Was kind of the only way I could enjoy mixing this song :s
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #168
cnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yeah, heh heh, I don't think anybody knows how they would do it until they've done it, especially having not heard any of the other submissions yet. After I've heard all the submissions, there's always something I wish I'd done a little differently.
Aint that the truth! I wish I'd spent more time trying to bring the drums out... Admittedly, I "went with" the assumption that if they were more important to the vision of the song, they'd have been miked better... But now that I hear a few of your mixes, I realize I maybe should have given them more attention.

It's interesting to see the pie chart. Wow, whoever is in first, it clearly isn't very close!
cnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:08 AM   #169
DaveKeehl

Interesting...

Old 03-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #170
REAmix

Quote:
Interesting...

I guess we don't all have the same taste lol. It's pretty close for first it looks like. I think just one point difference.

What's interesting about the results, is that it doesn't look like there are 4 or 5 top choices which take turns in their top 3 depending on preference, there are 9 of them, and 11 votes.

Normally, you'd expect the usual suspects in the top 3, but it isn't really that way.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #171
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAmix View Post
I guess we don't all have the same taste lol. It's pretty close for first it looks like. I think just one point difference.

What's interesting about the results, is that it doesn't look like there are 4 or 5 top choices which take turns in their top 3 depending on preference, there are 9 of them, and 11 votes.

Normally, you'd expect the usual suspects in the top 3, but it isn't really that way.
I think the fact that mostly only contestants are voting runs the risk of widely varying results. Not because they aren't honestly trying to vote accurately but because they/we are already so close to the tracks/mix/song.

Since I didn't mix or even hear these tracks, I'll try to vote before the voting ends.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #172
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I think the fact that mostly only contestants are voting runs the risk of widely varying results. Not because they aren't honestly trying to vote accurately but because they/we are already so close to the tracks/mix/song.
Also there is a huge disparity between listening environments. I think the only way to make it work right is to have everybody listen in the same good room, using the same monitors.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #173
thunderbroom

Quote:
Also there is a huge disparity between listening environments. I think the only way to make it work right is to have everybody listen in the same good room, using the same monitors.
And that's practical (*snicker*). Seriously, though, I don't think we should be losing sleep over this. A good mix should, in theory, sound good almost anywhere. That said, "good" is relative. Based on the differences in even just these mixes, everyone submitting has their own perception of good, as I'm sure the artists did when they had their track originally mixed.

I'm more looking forward to the after-contest feedback, as I find that the most useful and helpful overall. Good luck all!
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #174
karbomusic

Quote:
I think it would even out more if there were enough people voting (and more who aren't familiar with the mix) because a better mix should sound better in general.

I see where you are going (such as two mixes that are very close) but I think our being too close to the mixes is a bigger hindrance than say 50 end-users listening to pick what they like better. Could be wrong but still think more voters might give a smoother curve for lack of a better term.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-22-2017 at 01:45 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #175
REAmix

Quote:
I think it would even out more if there were enough people voting (and more who aren't familiar with the mix) because a better mix should sound better in general.

I see where you are going (such as two mixes that are very close) but I think our being too close to the mixes is a bigger hindrance than say 50 end-users listening to pick what they like better. Could be wrong but still think more voters might give a smoother curve for lack of a better term.
I think you might be right here. I mean, we can take reverb as an example. Say we all had the same mix, and all we did was control the volume of one reverb buss. We would each set it where we think is right. Then when we go to vote, we would think that everything more wet than we set is bad, and anything less is bad, and the closest to us, is good.

I think our personal setups do also make a difference though, because although a good mix should sound good everywhere, we are often mixing with a bias to our system, and what we think sounds good on our system, and that might not translate well.

But, to your point, if we had a huge number of voters, then it would average out to what people think sound good on their systems, which should find the best overall mixes on an average setup.

So, I think it's a bit of both.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #176
karbomusic

Quote:
We would each set it where we think is right. Then when we go to vote, we would think that everything more wet than we set is bad, and anything less is bad, and the closest to us, is good.
That's an excellent way of putting it, I wish I had worded it that way. That's why I wish lots of users who come here (by default being a little more pro than random people) might help too because they would be far enough away to not be biased but experienced enough to notice poor decisions that might get past that random non-engineer. Or it could all be a wash, just thinking out loud here.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #177
DaveKeehl

Hehehe we should meet and discuss audio in front of a nice beer
Old 03-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #178
karbomusic

Quote:
Hehehe we should meet and discuss audio in front of a nice beer
Best advice ever.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #179
Tod

Quote:
Best advice ever.
Heh heh, how about mooses saloon.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #180
karbomusic

Quote:
Heh heh, how about mooses saloon.

Man that is so 70s ish.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #181
Tod

Quote:
Man that is so 70s ish.
Yah, and wow, you got it, it was one of my best bands back in the 70s.

EDIT: I should say it was a great band and by far the most successful.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #182
karbomusic

Quote:
Yah, and wow, you got it, it was one of my best bands back in the 70s.

EDIT: I should say it was a great band and by far the most successful.
So that's you on the left? I'm guessing it is. I'm 53 and wasn't even playing yet by then but I was already long-hooked on music hence my 70s influences etc.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #183
Tod

Quote:
So that's you on the left? I'm guessing it is. I'm 53 and wasn't even playing yet by then but I was already long-hooked on music hence my 70s influences etc.
Yeah, it is. I played music most of my life starting in the early 60s. I think of those days as the good old days, but I guess that just shows my age.

Mooses Saloon is a great old place, actually pretty well known in the western part of the US. It's got sawdust and peanuts on the floor, and only serves beer and pizza.

We recorded a song for it back in the early 70s and I think it's still on the jute box. Hence the drawing.

Heh heh, just think if we could all meet at Mooses Saloon in Cowsbell, Montana. Be sure and wear your cowboy boots.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #184
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah, it is. I played music most of my life starting in the early 60s. I think of those days as the good old days, but I guess that just shows my age.
Hehe, same here just add 20 years to the decades. I grew up on late 60s and all of the 70's music though. The acoustic duo I played in up until two years ago played mostly 70's tunes. On a side note I'm also a big fan of most of the midwestern bands that were really hitting it in the mid-70s.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #185
DaveKeehl

Still 4-5 days to vote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:25 AM   #186
DaveKeehl

2 days people
Old 03-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #187
DaveKeehl

Tomorrow is the last day, so vote now or never again
Old 03-30-2017, 02:43 AM   #188
DaveKeehl

Results are coming out tomorrow. We have 2 winners for this month!
Old 03-31-2017, 02:35 AM   #189
DaveKeehl

There you go folks. REAmix and CNYK are the winners!

Both of you have the right to choose a song from here.

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 03-31-2017 at 03:51 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:20 AM   #190
Fergler

Congratz! Whats next... maybe bluegrass? :P
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:37 AM   #191
karbomusic

Nice job guys, congrats ReaMix and CNYK! Also, another set of kudos to Dave for doing such a great job managing the contests. Also shouts to martin and uncleswede.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:31 AM   #192
cnyk

Woah! Thanks! So many great mixes I'm kind of surprised!
So what next, I pick any song from that site? If so, I pick The Black Crown -- 'Flames'.
cnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #193
REAmix

Victory is mine! lol. Congrats CNYK, and uncleswede and martinmadero for 2nd and 3rd.

Not only did we tie for first, but we tied for points in the exact same way, with same number votes for first second and third.

I will assume that CNYK and I will probably not select the same track out of that extensive list, so I don't know how we could do the tie-breaker, maybe just Dave could pick out of the two, or Uncleswede? Or maybe more of a collective thing, idk, but I came across this one, and thought it might be cool to do.

The link directs a sort of "mix" of the stems that were thrown together and leveled, but no EQ or FX or anything like that.

Thanks Dave, for setting it all up.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:37 AM   #194
uncleswede

Well done ReaMix and CNYK. Pretty pleased with 2nd place, especially as it was my first contest entry :-)
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #195
msundh

I was right about the first and the last
Old 03-31-2017, 12:23 PM   #196
thunderbroom

Default Congratulations all!

Really cool to see how things break down. I wonder if anyone has noticed any patterns occurring with the voting either as a mixer receiving votes or someone voting. Not implying anything at all - just morbidly curious to see if someone is getting more or less votes each time, or if someone notices more votes coming in at certain times versus another. I'm always fascinated by this stuff so just asking for fun.
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:33 PM   #197
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbroom View Post
Really cool to see how things break down. I wonder if anyone has noticed any patterns occurring with the voting either as a mixer receiving votes or someone voting. Not implying anything at all - just morbidly curious to see if someone is getting more or less votes each time, or if someone notices more votes coming in at certain times versus another. I'm always fascinated by this stuff so just asking for fun.
Not really sure what you're getting at, but there were 14 votes for first, and 16 of us, and some people said they would try to vote even though they didn't participate. So, at least 2 people that mixed didn't vote, and maybe more.

the winners in past contests have been pretty consistent. Other than that, I only really pay attention to my own votes, to be honest, and I can say that I've been in all rankings, from middle of the pack, to first this week, to literally getting 0 votes.

This is my third month as well.. maybe 4th, but I think 3rd. So, I've been all over the place.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #198
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbroom View Post
I think they come out pretty well. I have previously thought having a larger voting base might be of value but can't precisely say I can back that up.

I've either listened or participated since the first one and the winners seem to have winning mixes overall. If several submit great mixes comparatively, then it starts getting close but that is always the case if one mix doesn't blow all the others away. I can say it seems easier for me to judge when I'm not participating vs when I am and so close to the mix because my own decisions start sounding like the best one because I've heard them so much while mixing, anything different sounds out of place even if technically superior.

What I do like is how well participating in these shows just how important the source material is - including the musicianship as well as tracking and engineering abilities. Meaning once mixing skills get a certain distance over the bar of acceptance it gets harder and harder for the mixer to be the determining factor. This is why when you are good at anything, all the other stuff (how you handle conflict, working with people, quick on your feet, general expertise) starts making the bigger difference.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-31-2017 at 12:56 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #199
msundh

There were at least three that didn't vote on their own mix
Old 03-31-2017, 03:15 PM   #200
DaveKeehl

It might be a little of a contradiction but I didn't vote. I'm running this contest for your amusement and I want to keep things separate (even though sometimes I like submitting my take on the mix hehe).

Regarding the song for the next month, I am more keen towards the jazzy tune that REAmix proposed. Not to avoid cnyk to choose what he likes, but simply because metal-ish songs on that websites are not that great. What do you guys think we should do? Rock, paper, scissors?

(the minigame was made by a good friend of mine! check him out if you're interested in really cool web design stuff!)

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 03-31-2017 at 03:25 PM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote