Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 06-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER Contest - June 2017 (RESULTS)

REAPER CONTEST - JUNE 2017
(ONLY REAPER PLUGINS ALLOWED)

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

MIXING: 1-20 June
VOTING: 21-28 June
RESULTS: 30 June

June 2017 winner: Reno.thestraws

Download all the submissions

This month the song to mix is called Go Go Go from the band Nick Bluhm and the Gramblers, chosen by the user martinmadero who won last month

Enjoy!

As you might notice, I didn't write the usual guidelines. This is not because the rules have changed but because from this month all the info about the contest can easily be found on the website. So! please use the website as the main resource for the contest now!
I've structured the menus in a way that follows the order of the stages of the contest, so it should be really really easy to understand how it works

In a nutshell:
  • New users: go to the website and you'll find all the infos
  • Regular users: nothing's changed. Go to the website and proceed as usual

PS: Check out the facebook page if you still haven't!

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 11-03-2018 at 10:41 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
DaveKeehl

How you guys doing? Who's partecipating?
Old 06-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
trevlyns

I'm in - two other big projects on the go but I'll make the time
Old 06-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
martinmadero

Im in!
The drums... mmmmm.....
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmadero View Post
Im in!
The drums... mmmmm.....
hehehe
Old 06-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
Fergler

I'll be in this one, just not for a few days. Btw, you should post this in the Reaper non-English forums. Il y a plusieurs de Français qui on peut trouver seulement là.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
mawi

Unfortunately again a telefunken live recording like the April contest. Boring. I started today and I'm already finished with my mix. I may submit tomorrow. The kick track is really shit. I wish replacing would be allowed. I also noticed today that the ReaEQ sounds thin and uncontrolled when you raise the high shelf. It's really hard just to mix with internal reaper stuff. They are so ugly and awkward.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
martinmadero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
Unfortunately again a telefunken live recording like the April contest. Boring. I started today and I'm already finished with my mix. I may submit tomorrow. The kick track is really shit. I wish replacing would be allowed. I also noticed today that the ReaEQ sounds thin and uncontrolled when you raise the high shelf. It's really hard just to mix with internal reaper stuff. They are so ugly and awkward.
I agree with the Reaper FX plugins.
I just can´t find a plugin that let the control perfect in the mix, a master that can be level tight, a well limiter or exciter..

Will Reaper 6 come with nice and well stock plugins?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #9
germano

Im in!
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #10
trevlyns

Re: The drums... why do people still bother to record separate rack and floor toms when they just produce 98 percent bleed and 2 percent actual hits... 'beats' me
Old 06-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #11
martinmadero

If anyone achieves an excellent mix of this ... has my congratulations and admiration forever haha

I can not find the way the drums sound good ..

Much overhead everywhere
Old 06-03-2017, 01:58 AM   #12
bezusheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
I also noticed today that the ReaEQ sounds thin and uncontrolled when you raise the high shelf.
ReaEQ does not sound like anything, it is very transparent.
What kind of shelf filter do you like ?
Are you allowed to use JSFX from the stash in the contest ?

Last edited by bezusheist; 06-03-2017 at 04:41 AM.
bezusheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:30 AM   #13
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezusheist View Post
Are you allowed to use JSFX from the stash in the contest ?
of course! just make sure to include it in the zip
Old 06-04-2017, 06:02 AM   #14
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Will Reaper 6 come with nice and well stock plugins?
I doubt so. But the plugins are nice though! It's just the gui in my opinion that needs desperately something fresh. We're not in the windows 2000 era
Old 06-04-2017, 06:04 AM   #15
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevlyns View Post
Re: The drums... why do people still bother to record separate rack and floor toms when they just produce 98 percent bleed and 2 percent actual hits... 'beats' me
haha right
Old 06-04-2017, 06:04 AM   #16
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by germano View Post
Im in!
yeah!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #17
martinmadero

mix almost done...
cheking the mixes in the cambridge forum saw -8 LUFS and more...
finish the loudness war!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #18
martinmadero

Regarding the plugins I think they are not properly classified, there are no specific plugin packages, in my case the JS plugins you have to be guessing what there is and what can be done, I think a deeper organization is missing and a graphical interface according To the theme that comes by default.
A compressor, or an eq with a graphical interface would make it more professional and more pleasant to "play" and test sounds

its sunday.. im bored
Old 06-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #19
Tod

Quote:
Regarding the plugins I think they are not properly classified, there are no specific plugin packages, in my case the JS plugins you have to be guessing what there is and what can be done, I think a deeper organization is missing and a graphical interface according To the theme that comes by default.
A compressor, or an eq with a graphical interface would make it more professional and more pleasant to "play" and test sounds

its sunday.. im bored
Hey martinmadero, I can imagine that there are many who are somewhat confused with Reapers plugins, especially the younger folks, but I have no problem with Reapers plugs. They might look Plane-Jane to some, but they have all the controls you need to do the job, and I think they do that very well. Really and trully, the GUI does not make the plugin.

I think ReaEQ is a great EQ, I don't know of any other regular EQ that has all that ReaEQ has. Some may exist, but I know of no other EQ that offers you all the various EQ types in any configuration. I recently made a 27 band, 3rd octave graphic EQ out of ReaEQ, and I don't know of any other EQ you can do that with.

Even the JS plunins work well for what they do.

As a test, it might be beneficial if some of the participants who think they can do a better job with other plugins, make a separate mix with their favorite plugins, just to compare them with what they and others accomplished in the contest.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #20
martinmadero

Hey tod, I think like you that the plugins are very good, you miss the interface and some plugins that come by default in other daws, which help the finalization of the mix
Anyway, for my reaper is the best daw that exists, and through this contest I have been very familiar with the plugins as reaEQ, and reaComp, and I sincerely use them in all my recordings as a basis for the channels, I have become accustomed to And in fact I have no complaints about it
Are you going to participate this month?
Old 06-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #21
Tod

Quote:
Hey tod, I think like you that the plugins are very good, you miss the interface and some plugins that come by default in other daws, which help the finalization of the mix
Anyway, for my reaper is the best daw that exists, and through this contest I have been very familiar with the plugins as reaEQ, and reaComp, and I sincerely use them in all my recordings as a basis for the channels, I have become accustomed to And in fact I have no complaints about it
Are you going to participate this month?
Hi mrtinmadero, okay I think I misunderstood you, and I'm sorry for that so please forgive me.

Regarding the contest, no I don't think I will be able to participate. I'm totally retired now but I still have a few clients that I work with and they keep me pretty busy. Don't rule me out though, if I find a little time I might jump in.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #22
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I'll be in this one, just not for a few days. Btw, you should post this in the Reaper non-English forums. Il y a plusieurs de Français qui on peut trouver seulement là.
if you speak French you're more than welcome to do it
Old 06-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #23
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post

I think ReaEQ is a great EQ, I don't know of any other regular EQ that has all that ReaEQ has. Some may exist, but I know of no other EQ that offers you all the various EQ types in any configuration. I recently made a 27 band, 3rd octave graphic EQ out of ReaEQ, and I don't know of any other EQ you can do that with.
I know what you mean about the REAplugs, but Fabfilter Pro-Q2, is definitely a much more full featured EQ than ReaQ is. ReaQ is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but Pro-Q2 has a few tricks up its sleeve that ReaQ can't match.

I know for sure that I could do a "better" mix with different plugs. It would be better in somewhat subtle ways, and more in a sort of character way, but definitely better. All the Fabfilter plugins are incredible, and really fully featured, with great interfaces. I'm always excited to see what they come up with next. Saturn sounds great and is another great example of what you just can't do with reaper plugs.

REAcomp is a great compressor, but other compressors are different and sound different, and Fabfilter again has a great compressor with fabfilter Pro-C and Pro-C2 especially. But for compressors some will have a different character than others. Although REAcomp is very good, and very flexible and full featured for a compressor, it doesn't sound the same as all other compressors, and again Pro-C2 is more fully featured than REAcomp, believe it or not. Not by a whole lot, but if you consider the interface, then it's a pretty big difference, imo. It sounds great too. But REAcomp is really good also. I can't think of another compressor as fully featured, but like I said, other compressors sound differently.

All the FX sorts of things, like Vocalign, and Vocoder typed things, or Melodyne. Reaper has a tuning app, and it's pretty good, but it's not as good as melodyne 4 is.

That said, to your point, a lot is more *what* you do, and not so much what tool you do it with. Sometimes a better plug is more just convenience and speed than a better result. So, with just REAplugs you should be able to get a good mix, but if you had all the stems of a top 40 song, and the same room it was mixed in, and the same engineer, but nothing but REAplugs, the mix they get wouldn't be the same. They would get a really good mix, it would sound great, but not the same. The top 40 version would be better.
REAmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #24
Fergler

I put something in the French forum. May get to some mixing tonight! Excited
Old 06-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #25
martinmadero

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAmix View Post
I know what you mean about the REAplugs, but Fabfilter Pro-Q2, is definitely a much more full featured EQ than ReaQ is. ReaQ is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but Pro-Q2 has a few tricks up its sleeve that ReaQ can't match.

I know for sure that I could do a "better" mix with different plugs. It would be better in somewhat subtle ways, and more in a sort of character way, but definitely better. All the Fabfilter plugins are incredible, and really fully featured, with great interfaces. I'm always excited to see what they come up with next. Saturn sounds great and is another great example of what you just can't do with reaper plugs.

REAcomp is a great compressor, but other compressors are different and sound different, and Fabfilter again has a great compressor with fabfilter Pro-C and Pro-C2 especially. But for compressors some will have a different character than others. Although REAcomp is very good, and very flexible and full featured for a compressor, it doesn't sound the same as all other compressors, and again Pro-C2 is more fully featured than REAcomp, believe it or not. Not by a whole lot, but if you consider the interface, then it's a pretty big difference, imo. It sounds great too. But REAcomp is really good also. I can't think of another compressor as fully featured, but like I said, other compressors sound differently.

All the FX sorts of things, like Vocalign, and Vocoder typed things, or Melodyne. Reaper has a tuning app, and it's pretty good, but it's not as good as melodyne 4 is.

That said, to your point, a lot is more *what* you do, and not so much what tool you do it with. Sometimes a better plug is more just convenience and speed than a better result. So, with just REAplugs you should be able to get a good mix, but if you had all the stems of a top 40 song, and the same room it was mixed in, and the same engineer, but nothing but REAplugs, the mix they get wouldn't be the same. They would get a really good mix, it would sound great, but not the same. The top 40 version would be better.
I agreed.
In the stock plugins line, i like very much the finalizing and mastering plugins that comes with Studio One 3. The Multiband Dynamics and Pro-Eq are amazing.
I realize some test in this contest mix, and compared to the stock that comes with reaper, makes a big diference. In another words: it´s really difficult to find some plugins "in the pocket" to deal with good results.

So, i open the discussion:
¿what do you using to enhance and optimize the levels on any mix?
I mean, a chain to put in the master channel.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #26
Fergler

Quote:
That is a can of worms that is not relevant for this thread.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #27
REAmix

Quote:

You can see what I do with REAplugs in the projects I submitted. On a normal mix I would do basically the same things, except with different plugs, and I might put some saturation on there as well. I don't really like the JS staruation, personally. It might depend though as well. It depends on what the mix is, and what tools you have.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:59 AM   #28
martinmadero

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAmix View Post
You can see what I do with REAplugs in the projects I submitted. On a normal mix I would do basically the same things, except with different plugs, and I might put some saturation on there as well. I don't really like the JS staruation, personally. It might depend though as well. It depends on what the mix is, and what tools you have.
Thanx for the feedback, REAMix
I see reaEQ -> reaXcomp -> Stereo Width -> reaComp -> Master Limiter, basically in the most of submissions. It´s a balanced chain.

I use the MGA JS Limiter instead of Master Limiter, works fine to me.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #29
Tod

Quote:
I've not tried the MGA JS Limiter, I'll have to check it out. I tried the Master Limiter a couple of years ago and liked it so that's what I've been using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Quote:
That is a can of worms that is not relevant for this thread.
Humm, could you explain why you say this Fergler. Considering what this thread and contest is about, at least the way I understand it, I would think discussing plugins and mastering would be one of the main topics.

At least that's what I thought.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #30
REAmix

Quote:
Thanx for the feedback, REAMix
I see reaEQ -> reaXcomp -> Stereo Width -> reaComp -> Master Limiter, basically in the most of submissions. It´s a balanced chain.

Ya. For me it depends on the project though also. If you look at plugins like Ozone, you can see all the sorts of things they have there as well. I think iZotope has a great mastering tutorial for Ozone too. I think it's 2 EQs one pre and one post, multiband compression, saturation, stereo field, reverb, limiting, and I think that's it. But they aren't standard in that order. You can change the order to your liking though if you want, also.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #31
Reno.thestraws

I'm In

Phase was definitely not the sound guy's friend

One hour mix, can't do more at the moment

Need a lot of edit but not enough time
Old 06-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #32
DaveKeehl

Quick update:

I'm translating the website in other languages, so that more people can have access to it
Old 06-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #33
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Another french mixing inline
Old 06-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #34
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

The link for listen offline doesn't work. The web site seem to have somes problems, isnt'it ?
Old 06-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #35
DaveKeehl

Nope we're simply still in the mixing phase (take a look at the first post) after the 20th of June I will upload all the submissions I've received and you'll be able to listen to them offline if you want
Old 06-07-2017, 06:05 AM   #36
MacFizz

Default Can't upload !!!

Hello
I've tried to upload my mix twice and each times, after reaching 100%, it says upload failed, please try again.
Is there a problem or is it at my end ?
MacFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:09 AM   #37
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFizz View Post
Hello
I've tried to upload my mix twice and each times, after reaching 100%, it says upload failed, please try again.
Is there a problem or is it at my end ?
I had this problem initially when I uploaded yesterday. try restarting your browser and make sure you don't have the zip file open in your file explorer or something.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:37 AM   #38
DaveKeehl

I have no control over that. Try again
Old 06-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #39
DaveKeehl

By the way, if you send me files using the dropbox plugin on the website, please upload a zip folder (renamed with you username) instead of single files
Old 06-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #40
martinmadero

hello dave, i sent my mix a few days ago, to the reaper.contest(at)gmail
is this a valid way to send, or i may upload in the contest site?