Old 06-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #1
Composer
Human being with feelings

Default How to reduce Gain?

Hello,

I have Cubase on another of my Computers, but I purchased Reaper to see what it does?

I like it very much, but am still a beginner with it!

Many things I can already do with it; but I am stuck on ' How do I reduce the ' Gain ' of the entire WAV file or MP3 File?'.

I Downloaded a heap of helpful Videos yday, but haven't yet started to study them?

Thanks
Composer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
Outboarder

Hi

Drag the top of the media item.
Shift drag to go higher than 0db

Or you can change Item volume control behavior (Handle or Knob)
Preferences > Media > Item volume control

Old 06-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
bobobo

maybe you missed this
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/videos.php#pUpGaSYYadw

you'll find many more at http://www.cockos.com/reaper/videos.php

and there is a manual
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
Outboarder

If you want to automate volume, press V to show track volume envelope.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboarder View Post
Hi

Drag the top of the media item.
Shift drag to go higher than 0db

Or you can change Item volume control behavior (Handle or Knob)
Preferences > Media > Item volume control
Yep, I always use the knob, it's always visible and don't get in the way of any other automation. I think it's also easier to adjust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboarder View Post
If you want to automate volume, press V to show track volume envelope.
Yes, and that works great for automating each item, leaving the track volume automation for the final leveling.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
Composer

Default How to Reduce Gain?

My sincere thanks to all for your most helpful & prompt replies!
Composer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
leaving the track volume automation for the final leveling.
For this, there is "Trim Volume", too.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
Twangothan

I wonder does pulling the top line down change the input gain of the track, or the output gain? Volume automation is surely the output. If the problem is that the source file was recorded too hot then you need to reduce the input gain. I do pull down the top but I also use the HornetVU meter which has auto gain reduction so you don't overload / clip any plug ins you have inserted. Mmm, I will do an experiment when I'm in front of Reaper.

EDIT looking around there are a few old threads on this....

Last edited by Twangothan; 06-19-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangothan View Post
I wonder does pulling the top line down change the input gain of the track, or the output gain?
Any item automation or settings will be output to the main track controls. In other words it will be before any track controls or automation.

I don't know any way to actually control the recording level of the tracks input other than something on the input FX.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
Twangothan

Quote:
Any item automation or settings will be output to the main track controls. In other words it will be before any track controls or automation.

I don't know any way to actually control the recording level of the tracks input other than something on the input FX.
I learned from the video you can change the pre FX volume - right click on the envelope button. Checking with a VU meter it is adjusting the input gain.

Of course the right answer is don't record too hat to start with but I have a bunch of .wav files which are what they are and you just have to cope. The Hornet thing works too. The interesting point boing, if they are too hot, volume automation won't help as most plug ins expect an input of -18 so if you hit them with +2 or something they will clip.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
I wonder does pulling the top line down change the input gain of the track,
Quote:
Of course the right answer is don't record too hot
If you mean the top line which is the same thing Tod turned into a button via options (item volume), it is before pretty much anything in the chain, it is the volume of the source itself so to speak. So if someone wants to adjust 'recording levels' after the fact (using the assumption they aren't clipped), that's the place to do it.

On an unrelated note if you ever want to know what the original recording levels were, set the track fader @ zero, item volume @ +/- 0 and what you see on the meters will be the exact same levels it was originally recorded at coming in from the ADC.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #12
Tod

Quote:
I learned from the video you can change the pre FX volume - right click on the envelope button. Checking with a VU meter it is adjusting the input gain.
I'm afraid you've got me here Twangothan, are you talking about the "track envelope button"?

If you're talking about the "Volume (Pre-FX)", all that does is put the FX after the main track volume instead of before it.

You'll have to explain a little more, what your setup is and how you're manipulating it?

Quote:
Of course the right answer is don't record too hat to start with but I have a bunch of .wav files which are what they are and you just have to cope. The Hornet thing works too. The interesting point boing, if they are too hot, volume automation won't help as most plug ins expect an input of -18 so if you hit them with +2 or something they will clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If you mean the top line which is the same thing Tod turned into a button via options (item volume), it is before pretty much anything in the chain, it is the volume of the source itself so to speak. So if someone wants to adjust 'recording levels' after the fact (using the assumption they aren't clipped), that's the place to do it.
Actually I turned it into a knob, but Karbo's right, this is where you really want to make your audio files adjusment, it only affects the output volume of the audio file and supersedes any other FX or controls on that track.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:

Actually I turned it into a knob
Oops, brain said knob, hands typed button. I changed it to a knob years ago because the 'knob' is so much better and accessible.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
ashcat_lt

Quote:
If you're talking about the "Volume (Pre-FX)", all that does is put the FX after the main track volume instead of before it.
No. Unless I'm completely mistaken about what you're talking about, these are two completely separate envelopes. One before the FX and one after.

There's about nineteen different controls for volume from the take level up to the actual fader. I'm pretty sure the guide has a nice, fancy signal-flow chart in there somewhere.

Edit -
I suppose it's important to say here than NONE of those things will affect the level that Reaper gets from your interface. If everything in Reaper is at unity, and you're clipping anyway, you have to adjust things at the interface or source itself.

Reaper itself won't clip anything unless you ask it to by rendering to a fixed point file format. Modern plugins won't clip unless they're specifically designed to.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 06-19-2017 at 03:01 PM.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #15
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
No. Unless I'm completely mistaken about what you're talking about, these are two completely separate envelopes. One before the FX and one after.

There's about nineteen different controls for volume from the take level up to the actual fader. I'm pretty sure the guide has a nice, fancy signal-flow chart in there somewhere.
Yes ashcat, whether they are positioned differently (2 dif envelopes) or the same envelope (just placed differently), they still wont affect the recording input will they?