Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-22-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
amagalma
Human being with feelings

Default Faderport XT 2017 (Win only)

This is the Nimaj's driver as of February 13, 2016 but with the following abilities added:

1) Pressing Write button toggles between Write and Latch modes.
2) Pressing the Touch button toggles between Touch and Latch Preview modes.
3) New Pan mode set in the .ini (PAN_MODE=3): use the pan knob to cycle/navigate through the FX loaded on track. The FX will open centered on screen and floating, all other FX and track's will close. No undo points are created when cycling. If no FX is present on track then the dialog to add an FX opens.
Instead of PAN_MODE=3 you can use PAN_MODE=2 and assign the following improved actions from Reapack:
- amagalma_Float centered exclusively the next FX for the current track
- amagalma_Float centered exclusively the previous FX for the current track

Faderport XT 2017
Faderport XT 2017 (x64)

Hope you like the additions

Many thanks to cfillion and Xenakios for their help with C++

Last edited by amagalma; 01-26-2020 at 03:53 AM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:54 AM   #2
G-Sun

Nice one
Thanks!
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
orbiterred

any idea how to get the xt to stop following the faders on another control surface (faderport 8). If i'm trying to ride two faders at once on the 8, the xt goes nuts because it's trying to do both, can't be good for the hardware i assume.
orbiterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
JHughes
Banned

Thanks for keeping the XT driver alive amagalma.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
The_Nimaj

Thanks for keeping this alive. I don't have my Faderport anymore (and don't actually use REAPER as much anymore) so I couldn't continue. I wish there were some way to consolidate the posts though. Now there will be 3 fairly long threads for new users to sift through.

I'll link to this post in my thread as karbo did in his before. Thanks again.

Last edited by The_Nimaj; 10-11-2017 at 03:34 PM.
The_Nimaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:41 AM   #6
studer58

Will this work with Faderport 16 too ? https://www.presonus.com/products/Fa...-16/tech-specs
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #7
BobF

Just saw this ... big Thank You for keeping it alive and up to date.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
Vollgerd

Hallo amagalma,
thank you amagalma for keeping the faderport alive,
an early Christmas present.

Greetings from Germany
Gerd
Vollgerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Renoized

Yeah Amagalma, echoing the others here, thank you very much for keeping this alive.
Renoized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
tompad

GREAT!

Thanks for keeping this alive.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #11
tompad

Oooh no the problem is back!

I wrote in another post about a problem with Faderport XT 2017 (x64)
and thought it was fixed on my computer but now its back:

"Never in my life have I seen this before in Reaper!(see picture)
The Faderport is working, the fader moves in mixer
until I reconnect.

The real problem is that there are NO WAY to close
this window. No X, no button...
I have tried to reconnect the Faderport - no change.

Cant even close down Reaper!

My system is W10, Reaper 5.70."

Anyone know how to fix this?
Should I go back to original driver?

Last edited by tompad; 11-12-2019 at 12:00 PM.
tompad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
Should I go back to original driver?
It's very easy to test, so I would try it but it sounds to me like there is another issue (communication with the device in general) as I hinted in the other thread. To be clear the Reaper drivers for Faderport and Faderport XT don't deal with communication, they only send commands over an existing connection to the device - hence my doubting it's specifically the control surface driver and more likely getting a stable USB connection to the device - which begs the question, which "Firmware" are you on? 1.3.5 has known issues and still comes on the CD in some units...

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-u...-my-FaderPort-
Old 12-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
tompad

karbomusic - I bought it 2016 so it should have the latest firmware,
I couldn´t find a way to see what firmware my Faderport have...

Anyway I downloaded the firmware update and run it although, but it
couldn´t finish. Windows could tell my Faderport was in Faderport
Update Mode but the updateapplication told me it could not finish the procedure.

Well, well..at last I uninstalled Faderport XT and got back to the original
driver. Let see what happens now...
Old 01-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #14
inertia

I can't get this to work.

If I load the standard Mackie Control it works fine but when I select the Faderport XT control nothing happens.

I have put the dll and the ini file in the correct locations.

Firmware 1.10. x64 version.

Last edited by inertia; 01-05-2018 at 08:56 AM.
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #15
billbk

Default Volume/dynamics recording slider control

Ok, horribly newbie question here, as I'm learning how to a slew of new components simultaneously, including Reaper (it's a bit overwhelming). Got Reaper loaded, got my keyboard hooked up to my computer with a Presonus Audiobox interface, Picked up a Faderport, installed it using Nimaj's driver.
So it appears I have everything installed and working, so I'm going to start with baby steps and experimenting my way through until I learn all of this. So you'll have to excuse my initial questions.

Withinn the folder that is in Nimaj's download https://stash.reaper.fm/26189/Faderp...%20Release.zip the Word doc starts with the following:
Installation:
1. Locate the Reaper Resource Directory. You can find it by starting Reaper and clicking Options > Show Reaper Resource Path in explorer/finder.
2. Copy the reaper_csurf_fpxt library file (dll for windows; dylib for mac) to the UserPlugins folder. If it doesn’t exist, create it.
3. Restart Reaper.............

However, elsewhere in this long thread I've seen mention to also: "Copy reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini to the Resource folder". Nimaj's download doesn't mention this, and there isn't any .ini file in his download. Can I assume that .ini file is no longer necessary, and Nimaj's download/instructions are complete? If it matters I have windows 7.

Second question: When recording a MIDI (not Audio) track (I've set up that template where each track has an Audio component and a separate MIDI component), can I get I get FP slider to control the velocity/volume of the track I'm recording - basically replicate what the Mod Wheel does on my keyboard? (I have figured out how to change the control setup on my keyboard to have one of the keyboard's slider mimic the function of the mod wheel, so I do have a work around, but the FP slider is really sweet and has a very nice feel to it). I'd have thought this function would be basic in Nimaj's setup (and it very well might be & I'm too dense to see it). I can get Reaper to record an 'Audio' track with the FP slider controlling the velocity/volume, but not for just the MIDI track like I can with my synth's mod wheel. Using the FP slider when within a MIDI track "shows" the volume "knob" on the Reaper track responding to velocity/volume, but nothing is registering/recording, plus I can't hear the changes in real time anyway. Am I missing something obvious?

Last edited by billbk; 01-28-2018 at 07:38 AM. Reason: added info
billbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #16
billbk

Default Nimaj files

Guess I got too long winded in my last post to warrant a response. I just need to know if Nimaj's post
https://stash.reaper.fm/26189/Faderp...%20Release.zip includes all the files I need (even though it doesn't include an ".ini" file).
Other posts say to "Copy reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini to the Resource folder". But it doesn't exist in his download.
I have windows 7, 64 bit, so I assume I was supposed to load this file: reaper_csurf_fpxt64.dll
What about all of the other non-mac files? Ignore them?

help.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #17
TheMaartian

I have a file called:reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini.

It's in: C:\Users\Primary\AppData\Roaming\REAPER (replace Primary with your user name).

You need to download the original, full FaderPort XT distro, plus the updated .DLL. The .INI file is in the other package.

You need it.

Download Faderport XT Release.zip (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036) and amagalma's updated .DLL (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193222).

Not sure what you're looking at, but the Faderport XT Release.zip file I just redownloaded contains the .INI file. That's the ONLY file you need from that .ZIP. Use the updated .DLL.
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #18
billbk

Default faderport

Ok, I'm sorry, but I'm obviously quite dense.

You say to Download Faderport XT Release.zip (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036). That link takes me to another page headed by Nimaj's 12-15-2015 post where he posts this link: https://stash.reaper.fm/26189/Faderp...%20Release.zip . This is the download I've been using. In that download there are 2 files, Build and MACOS. I go to build folder and there are 7 files:

.DS_Store
README
reaper_csurf_fpxt.dylib
reaper_csurf_fpxt
reaper_csurf_fpxt32.dll
reaper_csurf_fpxt32.dylib
reaper_csurf_fpxt64.dll

I don't see a .ini file in there (or am I reading them incorrectly). Where is this "original" full FaderPort XT distro? Is there a different link besides Nimaj's post (on the page that you linked to) that I should have clicked to get to this "original" folder that has the ini file?
Is it the "This is karbomusic's original thread on the topic" link?
I do definitely see Amagalma's .dll file.

Sorry, but with so many link possibilities on every page it gets quite confusing.
thanks, bill
Old 01-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #19
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbk View Post
Ok, I'm sorry, but I'm obviously quite dense.

You say to Download Faderport XT Release.zip (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036). That link takes me to another page headed by Nimaj's 12-15-2015 post where he posts this link: https://stash.reaper.fm/26189/Faderp...%20Release.zip . This is the download I've been using. In that download there are 2 files, Build and MACOS. I go to build folder and there are 7 files:

.DS_Store
README
reaper_csurf_fpxt.dylib
reaper_csurf_fpxt
reaper_csurf_fpxt32.dll
reaper_csurf_fpxt32.dylib
reaper_csurf_fpxt64.dll

I don't see a .ini file in there (or am I reading them incorrectly). Where is this "original" full FaderPort XT distro? Is there a different link besides Nimaj's post (on the page that you linked to) that I should have clicked to get to this "original" folder that has the ini file?
Is it the "This is karbomusic's original thread on the topic" link?
I do definitely see Amagalma's .dll file.

Sorry, but with so many link possibilities on every page it gets quite confusing.
thanks, bill
The second one in that list above is the .ini file (try dragging it into Notepad). I'm not sure why your system doesn't show ".ini" it unless it is just hiding the extension. Assuming Windows and 64 bit reaper you only need that .ini file and reaper_csurf_fpxt64.dll

I was a little afraid the various spin-offs of the code might create confusion. The one by the_nimaj is the "official" unofficial eXTended version that I handed off to him (if there is such a thing). The one in this thread is fine but since it is a fork in the code, I don't know much about and they may have assumed prior knowledge and omitted the INI from this thread (I think amagalma just added a couple things for personal use then shared that out for anyone interested). That being said the INI file format is the same, the same one should work for all versions for the most part.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #20
karbomusic

A little info on the ini file. It is broken down into three sections: Settings, Pan Actions and Button Actions.

Settings are varying settings we've added that control how certain things behave, think of those as options. The only exception is there are a couple pan related settings that are sitting in the Pan Actions section, the remaining 4 items in that section are for actions that can fire based on pan knob movements. Those and everything under Button Actions uses Reaper actions and are laid out in the following format:

ACTION_BUTTONNAME=ActionID

If I wanted the record button to record I'd change the ACTION_REC setting to ACTION_REC=1013 since 1013 is the ActionID for transport: record in reaper. Where do we get the ActionID? Open Reapers Actions window, right click in the whitepace and there is an option to display the ActionID column. That number is the ActionID for the corresponding action in the actions list.

Caveat: Looking at the INI, I don't think anyone has added support for custom actions (could be wrong). If that is the still the case, then custom actions probably won't work because the faderport driver sends numbers not strings. Double check in case nimaj added this after the fact as I've not reviewed that portion of his code to see. Also, if you make changes to the INI and save them you will either need to restart Reaper or open the properties of the FaderPortXT control surface in Prefs > Control surfaces and click OK so that it causes the driver to reload the INI.

Here is the base INI file. You can just paste this into notepad and save it as "reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini" including the quotes to force it to use .ini instead of doing something like .ini.txt which would drive one crazy if they didn't notice that happened.

Code:
[FPCSURF]

;settings
MCP_VIEW=1
SHIFT_LATCH=1
AUTO_SCROLL=1
SELECT_IS_TOUCHED=0
MTP_OVERRIDE=0
PAN_SCROLLS_TRACKS=1
FADER_CONTROLS_FX=1
PAN_TOUCH_RESET_TIME=250
PAN_SCROLL_FADER_TIME=250
PAN_MIN_TURNS=2
PAN_RESOLUTION=128 ;
SELECT_TOUCHED_PARAM=1
ENABLE_INTRO=0
INTRO_STRING=FPXT

;pan actions
;0=pan, 1=scroll tracks, 2=custom actions
PAN_MODE=1
PAN_MODE_SHIFT=0
ACTION_PAN_LEFT=40104
ACTION_PAN_RIGHT=40105
ACTION_PAN_LEFT_SHIFT=41666
ACTION_PAN_RIGHT_SHIFT=41667

;button actions
ACTION_MUTE=
ACTION_MUTE_SHIFT=
ACTION_SOLO=
ACTION_SOLO_SHIFT=
ACTION_REC_ARM=
ACTION_REC_ARM_SHIFT=
ACTION_CH_PREV=
ACTION_CH_PREV_SHIFT=
ACTION_BANK=
ACTION_BANK_SHIFT=
ACTION_OUTPUT=41209
ACTION_OUTPUT_SHIFT=0
ACTION_READ=
ACTION_READ_SHIFT=
ACTION_WRITE=
ACTION_WRITE_SHIFT=
ACTION_TOUCH=
ACTION_TOUCH_SHIFT
ACTION_OFF=
ACTION_OFF_SHIFT=
ACTION_MIX=40078
ACTION_MIX_SHIFT=41077
ACTION_PROJECT=40861
ACTION_PROJECT_SHIFT=40295
ACTION_TRANS=40259
ACTION_TRANS_SHIFT=1134
ACTION_UNDO=
ACTION_UNDO_SHIFT=
ACTION_PUNCH=40222 		
ACTION_PUNCH_SHIFT=40172
ACTION_USER=_db5d9421e754499e8aaa4d9f4044529b  		
ACTION_USER_SHIFT=40178
ACTION_LOOP=1068        
ACTION_LOOP_SHIFT=40020
ACTION_REW=
ACTION_REW_SHIFT=
ACTION_FWD=
ACTION_FWD_SHIFT=
ACTION_STOP=
ACTION_STOP_SHIFT=
ACTION_PLAY=
ACTION_PLAY_SHIFT=
ACTION_REC=
ACTION_REC_SHIFT=
ACTION_FOOTSWITCH=40073 
ACTION_FOOTSWITCH_SHIFT=1013

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-30-2018 at 07:12 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:04 AM   #21
billbk

Default faderport

Ahh, the old ghost in the machine hiding text. Thank you very much.....thought I was losing my faculties.
And a huge thanks for the explanation of how it works. I'm sure for most of the people here, this is old news and obvious. But seeing this list of codes for the first time, it's more of a huh??? especially if you're just learning a DAW and don't even know what kind of commands are possible.

Last edited by billbk; 01-31-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #22
billbk

Default faderport

Assuming my system continues to read that 2nd file as reaper_csurf_fpxt, am I correct in assuming that when I move that file to the Resource folder that I should rename it with the .ini for it to function properly:

reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini

correct?
Old 02-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #23
karbomusic

Quote:
Assuming my system continues to read that 2nd file as reaper_csurf_fpxt, am I correct in assuming that when I move that file to the Resource folder that I should rename it with the .ini for it to function properly:

reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini

correct?
Only if the .ini is actually missing and not just hidden. In the list you showed above, is that view from within the zip file or after you extracted them?
Old 02-01-2018, 05:24 PM   #24
billbk

Default faderport

The seven names are the actual extracted file names.

What's weird is that TheMaartian says he can see the file with the .ini

I tried opening it on my other non music related computer. Same result when I extracted the files (no .ini)

Would be interesting to see if others can see the .ini file in Nimaj's download, because it doesn't make sense that it's not visible on both of my computers.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #25
karbomusic

Quote:
The seven names are the actual extracted file names.

What's weird is that TheMaartian says he can see the file with the .ini

I tried opening it on my other non music related computer. Same result when I extracted the files (no .ini)

Would be interesting to see if others can see the .ini file in Nimaj's download, because it doesn't make sense that it's not visible on both of my computers.
See if you can attach it to a reply, that should answer it.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #26
billbk

I can't attach the individual file (the one of the seven) that you think is the .ini file - called: reaper_csurf_fpx but when I try to attach that file using this site's Manage Attachments, it does shows it as an .ini file. So my guess is that if it doesn't read the ini file extension when I move it to my Resources folder, I should add the extension.
When anybody else here downloads and opens Nimaj's "Build" folder, are you all seeing the .ini extension on one of the files? I just can't understand why both of my computers won't show the ini extensiom (and one computer runs windows 7, one windows 10). Super weird.....unless others are seeing the same thing.
Attached Files
File Type: ini reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini (1.4 KB, 347 views)
Old 02-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #27
billbk

Default faderport

Oops, my mistake. Looks like I was able to upload that .ini to my last post, and obviously it is indeed an ini file. Still, why the extension doesn't read is weird.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #28
karbomusic

Quote:
Oops, my mistake. Looks like I was able to upload that .ini to my last post, and obviously it is indeed an ini file. Still, why the extension doesn't read is weird.
Cool, that was the reason for the test. The only reason it should normally be hidden is that "hide extensions for known file types" is enabled in the OS but that should have hidden .dll as well. Either way if it is named correctly, Reaper/FaderportXT should be able to see it.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #29
billbk

Default Faderport

Thanks. Ok, hopefully last question for a while - about where to put this ini file. (this gets to your comment Karbo about confusion happening with all of the spin offs).

One source on this site says to put the .ini file in the \Reaper\Plugins folder along with the .dll file.

Another says to find the Reaper Resource Directory and put it in the Resource "folder". There is no Resource "folder" within the "Directory", so are they using the terms Directory and folder interchangably, and I should just drop the ini file into the directory (or am I supposed to create a "Resource folder" within the directory.

Sorry for these questions, but with this stuff I need to follow the instructions literally.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #30
karbomusic

It's all good. It should be the UserPlugins folder inside the Resources folder (the resources folder isn't a folder name but a description of where reaper resources live - I'll explain why later). To find the resources folder go to...

Options > Show reaper resource path in explorer/finder

Place both the DLL and the INI in the UserPlugins folder that the above option takes you to.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #31
billbk

Default faderport

wonderful. Thanks for all your help
Old 02-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #32
brianblaskim

Hello!

I've downloaded the INI file from the previous update and downloaded the new DLL from this thread. I put them into the UserPlugins folder and not the Plugins folder, yet Reaper is not reading of my customizations to the actions.

Any help here? It seems like support for custom actions was not included in this new update.

Thanks very much. Glad to see this thread is still alive and well.
brianblaskim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #33
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianblaskim View Post
Hello!

I've downloaded the INI file from the previous update and downloaded the new DLL from this thread. I put them into the UserPlugins folder and not the Plugins folder, yet Reaper is not reading of my customizations to the actions.

Any help here? It seems like support for custom actions was not included in this new update.

Thanks very much. Glad to see this thread is still alive and well.
Just to confirm you loaded FaderportXT as your control surface not FaderPort?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #34
brianblaskim

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Just to confirm you loaded FaderportXT as your control surface not FaderPort?
Yes. Sorry, I posted this and gave up on using my Faderport shortly afterwards because it was just so useless to me like this. It seemed like none of the settings in the configuration file were working actually.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #35
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianblaskim View Post
Yes. Sorry, I posted this and gave up on using my Faderport shortly afterwards because it was just so useless to me like this. It seemed like none of the settings in the configuration file were working actually.
Well we know it works, hate we don't know what it was with yours.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #36
brianblaskim

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Well we know it works, hate we don't know what it was with yours.
Hmmmm. Okay. Guess I'll just try again. Will update you guys if I figure it out. Maybe it'll be helpful to someone else.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #37
kenm

Hi All,

A little late to this thread but I stubbled upon it while trying to find a solution to another problem. For me, if I put the .ini file into the UserPlugins directory, none of the changes I make to the .ini file work. If I move the .ini file up one directory to the "Resources" location (i.e C:\User\ken\AppData\Roaming\REAPER) then the customizations work. I get the same behavior on a Mac.

But...(under Windows only)

The track Mute, Solo, and Rec buttons don't do anything once I get the customized .ini file working. Well, that's not entirely correct. They do show up under Actions->Show recent actions as "Track: Toggle mute|solo|record arm for selected tracks" but they don't actually do the action. They work fine on the Mac. Exact .ini file copied from Mac to PC.

Any ideas? Let me know if I should start a new thread on this.

Thanks,
Ken
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:01 AM   #38
kenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenm View Post
Hi All,

But...(under Windows only)

The track Mute, Solo, and Rec buttons don't do anything once I get the customized .ini file working. Well, that's not entirely correct. They do show up under Actions->Show recent actions as "Track: Toggle mute|solo|record arm for selected tracks" but they don't actually do the action. They work fine on the Mac. Exact .ini file copied from Mac to PC.
This issue went away when I installed the SWS extensions that were already installed on my Mac.

Ken
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #39
Smiechu

Hi guys!

It seems, I have the same problem as @brianblaskim...
I've copied the files in the right place, and lunched Faderport XT in Reaper preferences.
Unfortunately it only works partially, it seems like Reaper fails to find and load the customization ini file.
Mix, Proj, Trns buttons are not working, FX mode is not working, pan knob works in pan mode (with shift it toggles the active track). The blinking play button on pause works.
I have all the latest updates of Reaper and SWS... Windows 10.
Please help! Without working extension the controller is a little bit poor.
Smiechu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #40
karbomusic

Is it possible that something was missed and Reaper is using the built in version which is limited in functionality and won't observe the INI?