Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 12-21-2018, 05:09 AM   #1
Winfield
Human being with feelings

Default Can track (video) fx only affect one track?

Hi, is it possible to have track-fx only affect items on the one track (that the effect is on) and not all the 'lower' video tacks?

The use-case here is, that I have a lot of video-text-items (on one track) that needs the same xy adjustment, that is different from the rest of video tracks.

I guess there are workarounds with rendering, or item fx, but that would loose some (much needed) flexibility later on - so I don't see that a an option here.

Thank you
W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:19 AM   #2
Eliseat

Yes, that's a big problem in my opinion. wwwmaze also posted some thought about it as this seems just not logical.
The workaround would be to lay such a track at the end of the track stack but that doesn't work for all situations. An example would be if you want blur only on one track while other tracks also are visible. This blurry track has to be the last in the stack if not everything below also will be blurred. But if one of the other track also has something special which affects the whole stack you get stuck here.

The best thing would be, if only folders would be mixing everything together while separate tracks keep their effects on their own. Or this needs kind of an divider/separator. Or there must be a separate input definition in the programming language which only allows one track input without blend possibility. For blur or something like that it would be a great option. But I have no idea how this could be done.

for the moment I can't find where wwwmaze wrote his thought about that. Will edit the post if I have found it.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Yes, some of the presets implement this, but here's a preset which, if you put it last on a track, will only make the track FX used when the track has video items:
Code:
// makes track FX only used where track has video items
input = input_track(0);
input > input_next_item(0) ? input=0;

input_info(input,project_w,project_h);
gfx_blit(input);
If you're using the latest +dev builds, this can be optimized slightly:
Code:
// makes track FX only used where track has video items
input = input_track(0);
input <= input_next_item(0) ? (
  input_info(input,project_w,project_h);
  gfx_blit(input);
);
Also, you can of course put video FX on video items, or on MIDI items if you want them to operate only for that time period (they can still read video from tracks upstream etc).

Caveat: this doesn't handle being the only FX on a track properly (will figure out a workaround for that -- not that it's useful as the only FX on a track).

Last edited by Justin; 12-21-2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: updated with helper presets
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
EpicSounds

what would I need if I wanted the rotation part of "// Track opacity/zoom/pan"
to only apply to images, text, or lines/shapes draw by a video processor?
need some easy way to apply processing only to the output of previous video processor in same chain.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
what would I need if I wanted the rotation part of "// Track opacity/zoom/pan"
to only apply to images, text, or lines/shapes draw by a video processor?
need some easy way to apply processing only to the output of previous video processor in same chain.
Put it on a track by itself (with the previous processor), then blend it with whatever else as you like from another track?
Old 12-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Put it on a track by itself (with the previous processor), then blend it with whatever else as you like from another track?
it rotates the background video as well.
the text and lines are made in video processor. its even worse if you want the drawing to rotate different from the text.

Works differently with image files, pretty much fine.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

I think the problem is that you want to make a mask, transform it, then combine it with something else. You can definitely do this, but it takes a bit more work.

(these all require a recent +dev build, though most of the techniques can be used in 5.965 too)

Here's one way to do it:

https://1014.org/_/overlaytransform.rpp

Track 2 has a video.
Track 1 has a green background generator => text overlay => track opacity/zoom/pan (modified to fill background with green rather than black, see comment inside it) => Chroma-key, which combines track 2 with track 1.

This is pretty fast but doesn't allow partial transparency.

Here's another way, which is probably about as fast but requires going to RGBA:

https://1014.org/_/overlaytransform2.rpp

Track 2 has a video
Track 1 has a black background generator => text overlay => track opacity/zoom/pan => custom RGBA red to alpha channel converter => image overlay

This allows partial transparency, but because red is copied to alpha, you are limited in what colors are available to you in your overlay image. You could tweak which channel is used in order to allow some different combinations, but it's not ideal either.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Edit: extending RGBA mode to give more control over RGBA alpha channel writing. This will give the best performance for RGBA and also full color.

In today's build you will be able to use:

https://1014.org/_/overlaytransform3.rpp

Some of the various presets may need to be extended to be alpha-channel aware though...

Last edited by Justin; 12-21-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #9
EpicSounds

thanks for looking into this so quickly.

btw for text I usually have the fx chain on MIDI items
Old 05-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
urednik

Justin, any news on disabling one FX to influence all video items?
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:30 AM   #11
SonicAxiom

oh yes, please! This is SOOOO essential!!!

Old 06-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #12
EpicSounds

Hey guys this is already fixed. this thread predates the inclusion of the preset "Apply track FX only where track has video item"

Put it last in the track chain, should solve the issue.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #13
urednik

Jon, for some instances of official presets it does not work yet.
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:11 PM   #14
AaronGrooves

Default I have the same problem!

Hi, has anyone found a solution to this? I'm having the same problem as the OP, and I haven't made any progress.

I have hundreds of midi items with text for captions, and I need to scale them all and slightly adjust their positioning. Unfortunately, "Apply track FX only where track has video item" still impacts the background videos any time a caption displays.

Is it possible to "Apply track FX only to items on this track, without effecting items on other tracks?"

Thanks in advance for any help!
AaronGrooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:58 AM   #15
ashcat_lt

Well sort of, but it gets weird. The issue really is that, from the perspective of the video processor, any video that would be showing at this time is on this track as long as this track is above wherever that video comes from. That is, if you use it as standard and normal, it kind of can’t work. What you end up having to do is not let any video show through any other in that sort of native automatic way, and find some other way to combine whatever you want via more direct and discrete reference to individual video tracks. There aren’t too many presets that do that natively, so it would probably require some coding to get what you want.

I’m not super sure that actually transparencies can work with this, though, because you need to have some solid background to keep whatever is below the transparent things from showing through on that transparent track, so that by the time the mixing preset sees that transparent track, it has no transparent parts, just the solid background. So you end up having to do chroma key, cropping, or more sophisticated masking.

My cropped overlay preset does the discrete mixing by referencing the two tracks directly, and as long as neither of them are letting things below them show through, you can put whatever other effects you want on each. I’m posting the link not because I think it is the preset you need, but as an example of how that sort of thing gets done in the code.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=245490
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:24 AM   #16
jak352

If you select a video item and then go to "Item>Take>Show FX chain for active take" (default shortcut is shift E) then you can add "Video Processor" as an effect and select a preset etc. and it will only apply while that item exists and won't double videos or apply the effect to the wrogn video etc. when the item stops. You can also drag the Video Processor effect name from the FX list for the item onto other items too and that will copy across the effect.
jak352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:55 AM   #17
Tagirijus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak352 View Post
If you select a video item and then go to "Item>Take>Show FX chain for active take" (default shortcut is shift E) then you can add "Video Processor" as an effect and select a preset etc. and it will only apply while that item exists and won't double videos or apply the effect to the wrogn video etc. when the item stops. You can also drag the Video Processor effect name from the FX list for the item onto other items too and that will copy across the effect.
This does not solve the problem that underlying videos still gets the effect, while the item exists.

To me the Apply track FX only where track has video items preset won't work. If I e.g. put a text preset on one item, then a blur effect and then the Apply track FX only ... preset, the whole output will just be black. I attached a sample project. You will have to replace the BG png with any image or video.

My background / issue and how/why I found this thread:
I was thinking about making some kind of "shadow" effect with items or images with transparency, so that I can e.g. put a shadow effect on any PNG image or text or both. I would combine blur, brightness/contrast etc. and try to add the original input back. But with this behaviour of the vieo processor affecting every underlying source, I do not even have to start this. Unfortunatley such an effect would probably not be able to distinguish between the part I want to have shadow and all the underlying sources then, I guess ...
Attached Files
File Type: rpp video_apply_only_not_working.rpp (20.8 KB, 100 views)
Old 01-17-2023, 07:09 PM   #18
papagirafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagirijus View Post
This does not solve the problem that underlying videos still gets the effect, while the item exists.

To me the Apply track FX only where track has video items preset won't work. If I e.g. put a text preset on one item, then a blur effect and then the Apply track FX only ... preset, the whole output will just be black. I attached a sample project. You will have to replace the BG png with any image or video.

My background / issue and how/why I found this thread:
I was thinking about making some kind of "shadow" effect with items or images with transparency, so that I can e.g. put a shadow effect on any PNG image or text or both. I would combine blur, brightness/contrast etc. and try to add the original input back. But with this behaviour of the vieo processor affecting every underlying source, I do not even have to start this. Unfortunatley such an effect would probably not be able to distinguish between the part I want to have shadow and all the underlying sources then, I guess ...
I am not sure exactly of what you are trying to acheive even when loading the project but If i am guessing right you are trying to add a shadow to foreground elements that will be added on top of a background video/image. In that case your foreground needs to be in 'RGBA' color space with an alpha plane that specifies the transparency level for each part of your image. You then can combine with the background using the "overlay image" preset.

I have made a text overlay preset that adds good quality shadows (0if you are interested, see additional preset sticky). For images elements you need to generate a png with transparency info in external tools or use special presets like my gfx_polygons.
papagirafe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:11 AM   #19
Tagirijus

Thanks, papagirafe, for taking time looking into the project and answering me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papagirafe View Post
I am not sure exactly of what you are trying to acheive even when loading the project
In the sample project I simply tried to apply a blur effect on just the text.

Quote:
but If i am guessing right you are trying to add a shadow to foreground elements that will be added on top of a background video/image.
That's the case for my overall goal, but not the uploaded project file.

Quote:
In that case your foreground needs to be in 'RGBA' color space with an alpha plane that specifies the transparency level for each part of your image. You then can combine with the background using the "overlay image" preset.
I did another try with my previously uploaded sample project. I was not able to accomplish applying blur only to the text, though.

Quote:
I have made a text overlay preset that adds good quality shadows (0if you are interested, see additional preset sticky). For images elements you need to generate a png with transparency info in external tools or use special presets like my gfx_polygons.
I did try your Overlay: text w/adjustable ol/sh/rot/pos. Did you mean this? I will browse your mentioned thread again to see, if I might have missed something. Thank you for your help!! (=
Attached Files
File Type: rpp video_apply_only_not_working_2.RPP (22.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 01-18-2023, 01:03 PM   #20
papagirafe

Quote:
Thanks, papagirafe, for taking time looking into the project and answering me!

In the sample project I simply tried to apply a blur effect on just the text.
That's the case for my overall goal, but not the uploaded project file.

I did another try with my previously uploaded sample project. I was not able to accomplish applying blur only to the text, though.

I did try your Overlay: text w/adjustable ol/sh/rot/pos. Did you mean this? I will browse your mentioned thread again to see, if I might have missed something. Thank you for your help!! (=
Ah! Working with Overley/text is notoriously tricky. It directly writes text on the current bitmap (video) layer and any fx added on the chain will apply to both background and text as they are one "mix". To defeat that I wrote a small vp preset that creates from scratch a transparent black background on which you can write text and then apply any other chain of effects of your choice. You can then use this track to overlay on your background like you did. Here is the code to put as the first fx on your item:
Code:
//make transparent bg for text
!project_wh_valid?(project_w=1280;project_h=720);
colorspace='RGBA';
gfx_set(0,0,0,1,0,-1,0); //last '0' = alpha 2 = alpha plane opacity
gfx_fillrect(0,0,project_w,project_h);
As for "Overlay: text w/adjustable ol/sh/rot/pos", yes it's the one :-) It should work for bluring but I never tested it in this condition. Beware that "blur" ignores the alpha plane so you need a semi tranparent bg.

Last edited by papagirafe; 01-18-2023 at 09:18 PM. Reason: code typo
Old 01-19-2023, 04:19 AM   #21
Tagirijus

Quote:
I wrote a small vp preset that creates from scratch a transparent black background on which you can write text and then apply any other chain of effects of your choice. You can then use this track to overlay on your background like you did. Here is the code to put as the first fx on your item:
Code:
//make transparent bg for text
!project_wh_valid?(project_w=1280;project_h=720);
colorspace='RGBA';
gfx_set(0,0,0,1,0,-1,0); //last '0' = alpha 2 = alpha plane opacity
gfx_fillrect(0,0,project_w,project_h);
Uhh, thanks for that info and especially the script. Interesting!

Quote:
As for "Overlay: text w/adjustable ol/sh/rot/pos", yes it's the one :-) It should work for bluring but I never tested it in this condition. Beware that "blur" ignores the alpha plane so you need a semi tranparent bg.
Yeah, I just tested it and indeed the blured text now looks not as intended when I use overlay for this whole track, hehe. But I guess you helped me a lot already. I'll think about just coming up with something like non-blured shadow effect then. Or at least I will do further testing with what I can up from here now. Thanks again! (=

Further info about my goal: The idea is that I want be able to have some kind of video processor effect (e.g. a chain or a combined script I would write), which I can use to make either PNG with alpha channel or the text video processor preset get a shadow so that I do not have to pre-render the text with shadow beforehand. I want to have a workflow where I will have some little overlay (little icon + text) in my video, where I can change the text in Reaper quickly without the need of an external program (like Affinity Designer or Photo) for every time I want to change only the text.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:41 PM   #22
papagirafe

Quote:
<snip>

Further info about my goal: The idea is that I want be able to have some kind of video processor effect (e.g. a chain or a combined script I would write), which I can use to make either PNG with alpha channel or the text video processor preset get a shadow so that I do not have to pre-render the text with shadow beforehand. I want to have a workflow where I will have some little overlay (little icon + text) in my video, where I can change the text in Reaper quickly without the need of an external program (like Affinity Designer or Photo) for every time I want to change only the text.
For text, it's already solved: just use my improved version of text overlay on an empty midi item for each new text. For static images like logos, you can extract them easily from the background with an iphone/ipad or even with MS paint 3d; just save it as png with transparency enabled.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:09 AM   #23
Tagirijus

Quote:
For text, it's already solved: just use my improved version of text overlay on an empty midi item for each new text.
Actually I did and it did not look as intended. E.g. the shadow is no smooth shadow after all.

Quote:
For static images like logos, you can extract them easily from the background with an iphone/ipad or even with MS paint 3d; just save it as png with transparency enabled.
I know how to come up with transparent PNG and more. That's not the problem. The problem mainly is on how to add smooth shadow with Reaper while being able to overlay it with a live rendered smooth shadow.

But in the end I am going to come up with another solution for now: I do not use text for the sections like I first wanted to. Instead I am just using icons with pre-rendered smooth shadow into the PNG (working with Affinity Designer here). I guess this will do it for now. Still thanks for your help! (=
Old 01-22-2023, 08:16 PM   #24
papagirafe

Quote:
Actually I did and it did not look as intended. E.g. the shadow is no smooth shadow after all.

I know how to come up with transparent PNG and more. That's not the problem. The problem mainly is on how to add smooth shadow with Reaper while being able to overlay it with a live rendered smooth shadow.

But in the end I am going to come up with another solution for now: I do not use text for the sections like I first wanted to. Instead I am just using icons with pre-rendered smooth shadow into the PNG (working with Affinity Designer here). I guess this will do it for now. Still thanks for your help! (=
text shadow: for good quality you have to enable HQ mode parameter in my preset
For shadows on icons: double the image with offset, once with reduced chromacity + half transparent, once normal then overlay
Old 01-23-2023, 03:14 AM   #25
Tagirijus

Quote:
text shadow: for good quality you have to enable HQ mode parameter in my preset
Sorry, if I have to ask again: you are talking about this script fo yours, right?

1. I cannot see any HQ parameter there.
2. The script seems to be a bit buggy here. Like some issue with caching or so. Like such a thing happens:

Quote:
For shadows on icons: double the image with offset, once with reduced chromacity + half transparent, once normal then overlay
I thought of something with a better workflow, after all. Like "being able to load an image asset once, apply an effect and just be lucky", hehe. Thanks anyway! (=
Old 01-23-2023, 02:23 PM   #26
papagirafe

Quote:
Sorry, if I have to ask again: you are talking about this script fo yours, right?

1. I cannot see any HQ parameter there.
2. The script seems to be a bit buggy here. Like some issue with caching or so. Like such a thing happens:

I thought of something with a better workflow, after all. Like "being able to load an image asset once, apply an effect and just be lucky", hehe. Thanks anyway! (=
Okdok. I have an upcoming library of presets that addresses precisely this type of problem and I intend to publish it in the upcoming weeks when I'm off the road...
Old 01-24-2023, 02:40 AM   #27
Tagirijus

Wow, cool. Looking forward to it! Thank you. (=