Old 12-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v6.01+dev1209 - December 9 2019

v6.01+dev1209 - December 9 2019
  • + ARA: add per-plugin menu item to force reanalysis of media (for example, after using external editor)
  • + Media items: optimize display of text notes in media items [t=228372]
  • + Mouse modifiers: support editing loop source length by dragging loop divider notch when media item edge mouse modifier is set to edit loop source
  • + Windows: auto-lower pinned windows while modal window is present
  • # Windows: fix another topmost pin z-order bug
  • # Windows: option to ignore alt-key presses affects everything
  • # Windows: topmost pin behavior cleanups
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
Edgemeal

Getting better!
Now the pins disappear when I restore REAPER from minimized state, if I then switch to say Notepad and back the floating plugins showed their pins, but I had to move the fxchain window for it to reshow its pin.

Win 10 (1909)
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
xpander

v6.01+dev1209a

+ ReaSamplomatic5k: improve voice-reuse logic in certain voice-starved situations (old mode used on existing projects, additional hidden VST parameter)
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
v6.01+dev1209 - December 9 2019
[*]+ Mouse modifiers: support editing loop source length by dragging loop divider notch when media item edge mouse modifier is set to edit loop source
Thanks you a lot devs! It is so amazing now that we can change the length from the divider notch!
Combined with the edge modifier, gives to Reaper a level up for editing and it’s been done in the best way possible than any other daw. Game changer!!!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
Vagelis

Can i dare to ask if we could have a similar adjust start/end modifier for automation item’s edge? Plus to be able to drag the loop divider notch on AI. It would be really amazing and reaper would be the first daw who have implemented this feature to envelopes.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #6
musicbynumbers

Mouse modifiers: support editing loop source length by dragging loop divider notch when media item edge mouse modifier is set to edit loop source

Thanks for this, That's fantastic! Hope you guys decide to give some love to expanding the crossfade functions for the loop too!

And I would love to see the automation ideas above implemented too for sure!
Old 12-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #7
Vagelis

When i drag the edge of the item and the divider notch indicators don't snap to the visible grid or their division is smaller than the grid, there's some glitch with the item edge, seems like it tries to snap to each loop division but also to the next visible grid as shown in the gif.
It would be nice if the edge could snap only to the visible grid no matter if the loop divisions are smaller than the the grid. Or to have also an option when the item is looping, that would snap the edge on each divider notch as we drag it, bypassing the visible grid, from the first notch divider and after.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
D Rocks

Yes! Thanks for the top most improvements. That indeed needed some love.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #9
deeb

I really like using new modifier! it's sexy just by looking and top notch implementation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Can i dare to ask if we could have a similar adjust start/end modifier for automation item’s edge? Plus to be able to drag the loop divider notch on AI. It would be really amazing and reaper would be the first daw who have implemented this feature to envelopes.
yes would be very interesting too and coherent.

Also this is one more reason so that grid value should be displayed in transport bar!
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #10
deeb

Also! Sorry i am posting here because everything works as whole and if i don't post all the idea will be missed and i wont be able to express in other way.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
nofish

Quote:
#Windows: auto-lower pinned windows while modal window is present
This bit me a few times, thanks.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #12
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
This bit me a few times, thanks.
Ya, but still somewhat broken here on Windows 10 x64. When I restore REAPER from a minimized state the modals then open behind the pinned windows like before.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:43 PM   #13
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Ya, but still somewhat broken here on Windows 10 x64. When I restore REAPER from a minimized state the modals then open behind the pinned windows like before.
Can't check currently, but I thought it wouldn't be possible minimizing Reaper when a modal window is shown because it blocks all other actions, but obviously not?

edit:
Ah or you mean newly appearing modal windows?

Last edited by nofish; 12-09-2019 at 09:52 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:24 PM   #14
Edgemeal

Quote:
edit:
Ya, See post #2?, when the pins aren't seen then this modal fix stops working also, once the pins are visible again then this modal fix starts working again too. Seems it tied to same sub routine or whatever.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:50 AM   #15
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Also! Sorry i am posting here because everything works as whole and if i don't post all the idea will be missed and i wont be able to express in other way.

Yes, great one, thankyou !
Would really love to see visual feedback in a Media Item regarding it's Loop status.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:52 AM   #16
Stevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Yes, great one, thankyou !
Would really love to see visual feedback in a Media Item regarding it's Loop status.
yes! amazing idea
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:57 AM   #17
n997

+ Mouse modifiers: support editing loop source length by dragging loop divider notch when media item edge mouse modifier is set to edit loop source

My thanks for this as well!

That said, in v6.01+dev1209a there seems to be a bug when using this with MIDI items:

"Adjust loop section start/end" set to "Media item edge"> "left drag" > "Ctrl+Alt", there.
Attached Images
File Type: gif edit loop source length MIDI item bug.gif (16.3 KB, 900 views)
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:07 AM   #18
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
That said, in v6.01+dev1209a there seems to be a bug when using this with MIDI items:
Confirmed, this was happening also to the previous dev prereleases with midi and adjust start/end mod.
Removes the notes and we can’t enter the midi editor after that.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:09 AM   #19
EvilDragon

Indeed having an item media button for loop source would be great.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:11 AM   #20
Vagalume

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
+ Mouse modifiers: support editing loop source length by dragging loop divider notch when media item edge mouse modifier is set to edit loop source

My thanks for this as well!

"Adjust loop section start/end" set to "Media item edge"> "left drag" > "Ctrl+Alt", there.
Same here.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:47 AM   #21
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
[*]# Windows: option to ignore alt-key presses affects everything
Works everywhere I tried except here. Don't know if that's of any importance though.

bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #22
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Indeed having an item media button for loop source would be great.
Agreed!

And if we can maybe hold shift when clicking on it to "set" the loop to the current start/end positions of the item too.

These things are fiddly when done from the menus
Old 12-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #23
deeb

Wouldnt in your opinions grid value displayed in transport bar be very welcome and a bit of extra love there?

We have some Manny related grid operations that it's a pitty this value is always hidden.
For a 1280 x800 screen this would be my favourite workflow.
- grid value displayed in transport
- snap on/off
- toggle up and down grid values tables
- toggle dotted
- toggle triplet
- some more spicies
Old 12-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #24
mccrabney

Quote:
Wouldnt in your opinions grid value displayed in transport bar be very welcome and a bit of extra love there?
make an FR and i'd support it
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #25
deeb

It's done almost since I started trying to use reaper. I just posted the problem here since it works together and is intimitly related with this workflow and new feature also with past ones and also recent ones like move content snapping to grid.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #26
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Agreed!

And if we can maybe hold shift when clicking on it to "set" the loop to the current start/end positions of the item too.

These things are fiddly when done from the menus
This is exactly what i was thinking now. A faster way to loop the source, because now if we split an item, we have to drag the left and right edge each time to set the loop start/end, and then drag again to loop the sections.

It would be nice if when we drag the right edge and release the mouse to set the end of the loop, to also set the start of the loop at the start of the item automatically, and the opposite, so that we would be able to start looping the source faster. An example is shown in Bitwig below:
*The top half edge sets the start/end of the loop as our modifier. The only difference is that after the end loop has been set and we loop the item, it doesn’t change the loop sections from the edge but just expand/shrink the edge. And sets a new loop length after the edge pass the first notch divider.
Having something similar would allow us to use it as the default modifier for media item edge.
*Dragging from the bottom half edge starts to loop the item.

In Reaper this could be done if the start/end modifier would set only the size of the first loop and wouldn't change the start/end from the edge, after we loop the item.
Maybe it would be nice to have a separate modifier that would change only the start/end from the edge when the item is looping.
And another modifier that would set the first loop start/end (or just the end loop if the start could be set automatically at the start of the item..) ,which when the item is looping, it would expand/shrink the edge until the first notch divider, without changing the loop start/end from the edge.

Also i think that the notch indicator on the item should have its own mouse context, mostly because it's more useful and fast to drag it without any other key modifier(Ctrl.Shift etc)
*Except if we have two separate modifiers as a i mentioned above

Last edited by Vagelis; 12-10-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #27
deeb

Quote:
This is exactly what i was thinking now. A faster way to loop the source.
Maybe an option to: "Link active Section when loop source is activated" , could work?
Old 12-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #28
Vagelis

Quote:
Maybe an option to: "Link active Section when loop source is activated" , could work?
Looping fast the section is already possible with the action sws: loop section of selected items. The best would be if it was also possible to set start/end from the edge faster with the mouse. Setting the end loop should automatically also set the start loop at the start of the item and the opposite, as I mentioned in my previous comment.
Because when we split the item now, we have to drag both of the edges to set a new loop. Bitwig does it super fast from the edge as shown above.
But as some other guys mentioned, a media button for instant looping would be great too.

Last edited by Vagelis; 12-10-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #29
deeb

Quote:
Looping fast the section is already possible with the action sws: loop section of selected items.
ok! didn't know about that. Still i think it would a nice option to have because by being automatically done every time we activate loop source gives a faster workflow for loop based music in general.

Last edited by deeb; 12-10-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: what i said didnt make sense ...
Old 12-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #30
deeb

Also i think would be very useful an option like: "Importing from Media Explorer with Tempo Match On activates Loop Source".

so that when importing files from Media Explorer and ME Tempo match is ON (which means almost with no risk of failure that user wants to import a loop) , to automatically Activate loop source.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #31
Edgemeal

Quote:
Can't check currently, but I thought it wouldn't be possible minimizing Reaper when a modal window is shown because it blocks all other actions, but obviously not?

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Ya, See post #2?, when the pins aren't seen then this modal fix stops working also, once the pins are visible again then this modal fix starts working again too. Seems it tied to same sub routine or whatever.
Looks to be all fixed in +1210 here!
Been wanting these pin/modal fixes since my second week here (v5.16)!
Old 12-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #32
Edgemeal

Default Minor Annoyance

@ Devs,
FWIW, tooltips are still not topmost and get hidden by pinned windows.

Win10/x64
Old 12-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #33
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Looping fast the section is already possible with the action sws: loop section of selected items.
How is that different from the native action "Item properties: Loop section of audio item source" ?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #34
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
How is that different from the native action "Item properties: Loop section of audio item source" ?
The difference that I prefer the sws action is that if I split an item and use the sws action, it loops instantly the item, while the action loop section of audio item source needs to be triggered twice.

Edit: but I think that it happens only when I split an item that is looping.
* the same thing is also happening with the new mod . I ‘ve posted a gif about it in dev1210, post 14.
Thanks for the constant updates!

Last edited by Vagelis; 12-10-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #35
Vagelis

I forgot also to mention that the sws action works for both audio and midi which is nice, but not as good as for audio.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:44 AM   #36
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Works everywhere I tried except here. Don't know if that's of any importance though.

Two more things about this dialog: (Win 7 x64)

1)
STEPS:
- start Reaper with "Choose project" dialog
- press the down arrow key once

PROBLEM: Nothing happens with the first keypress, the selected line starts to move on the second keypress.

2)
STEPS:
- start Reaper with "Choose project" dialog
- press escape

PROBLEM: Nothing happens.

EXPECTED: The dialog is closed the same way it is closed with the close button in the top right corner. All other windows can be closed with the escape key.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote