Old 02-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
eMaRe
Human being with feelings

Default Cheap Remote Control

I have been searching for a while for a way to control Reaper from a distance, so I can record in an iso area. Once I put an acoustic on, or get ready for vocals, I don't want to run back and forth. I thought about these...
Wireless keyboard- nope- too bulky.
Wireless keypad- nope- range of 3 feet for offices.
Wireless presenter- hmmm- would it be assignable?
Did I want to spend $60 plus on it?

Then I found it!

A thin presenter remote by Gigaware at my local Radio Shack for $30. It's about 3x4 inches, it's got lots of buttons, goes 100 feet indoors, requires NO software and has a cool laser pointer to drive my cats crazy! It's now Velcroed to the wall next to a mic stand.

With a few added shortcuts in Reaper i can now toggle the metronome, arm a track, zoom horiz. and vert.,play, record, pause, insert markers, move between them, undo, scroll through tracks, and a few other things...all with or without looking at the screen.

I know it probably sounds funny to be this excited about this, but it's SOOO great to be untethered from the keyboard!

PS Thnx Bevoss for the earlier ideas on this!

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Last edited by eMaRe; 02-02-2007 at 10:36 PM.
eMaRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
Tarvini

Excellent
Tarvini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Jae.Thomas

buying. now.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
Bevoss

Way to go eMaRe! I think I want one too.

Would you be able to post the part # and name, I'm going to have a look on line for it.

Thanks!

Edit: Found it!

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

** bummer, out of stock online**

Last edited by Bevoss; 02-02-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Bevoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #5
Jae.Thomas

the local shop here has a few, im gonna get it tomorrow morn...
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
chipal

An old thread - I know.

I've been trying to use remote desktop with a laptop in my studio but have experienced dropouts and didn't want to spend the bucks for a Tranzport. So I tried to track down one of these discontinued Radio Shack presenter remotes. Like a lot of Chinese products, they may have just changed brand names.

I ordered this one from TigerDirect - looks like a very similar model (same number of buttons.) $30 plus s/h. I'll report back. Hiro 3 in 1 Slim Type PCMCIA PC Card Type 2.4Ghz WIFI Presenter with Laser Pointer and Multimedia Control.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8450&CatId=627
chipal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
chipal

Follow up for interested parties:

The Hiro presentation remote works very well in my preliminary tests. It has three modes with different keys in each, and it indeed maps well to actions. As mentioned it's easy to drop markers, set loops, record, solo, mute, etc. Has to be the same as the Radio Shack model now discontinued.

Not pretty but very functional.

Pretty cool!

Chipal
Old 02-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
ezurick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipal View Post
Follow up for interested parties:

The Hiro presentation remote works very well in my preliminary tests. It has three modes with different keys in each, and it indeed maps well to actions. As mentioned it's easy to drop markers, set loops, record, solo, mute, etc. Has to be the same as the Radio Shack model now discontinued.

Not pretty but very functional.

Pretty cool!

Chipal

Hi Chip, can you elaborate a little on how you mapped the controls with this item to Reaper? Like the first poster, I am seeking something to remotely do basic control such as start, stop, record, rewind, etc. How easy was this to map. It claims there is no software. If so, how do you change controls and mapping on it or Reaper? A bit confusing... I wouldn't think it knows Reaper controls without some programming.

Last edited by ezurick; 02-25-2009 at 12:46 PM.
ezurick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
Sleep opposed

Holy crap! This is awesome...gonna try and find an equivalent in oz....
Sleep opposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
chipal

The remote is essentially a wireless keyboard with a more limited amount of keys. You can map the keys just as you would regular keyboard in Reaper - go to the actions window, select a command, and push a key on the remote to set the hotkey. There's actions for almost everything and there's 20 or so possible keys (3 modes).

Seems to work well.

Hope that helps....
Old 02-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
ezurick

Quote:
The remote is essentially a wireless keyboard with a more limited amount of keys. You can map the keys just as you would regular keyboard in Reaper - go to the actions window, select a command, and push a key on the remote to set the hotkey. There's actions for almost everything and there's 20 or so possible keys (3 modes).

Seems to work well.

Hope that helps....
Hi. Pardon me to be so dumb about this, but I am still confused concerning mapping the keys. I assume you mean in Reaper to select actions window? Or is there another program with an actions window? And I assume if I am already using a USB wireless keyboard that this will not effect its functioning?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
chipal

You've got it right - select actions window. I don't have a wireless keyboard but my impression is you can have several active simultaneously. The procedure is exactly like mapping any other hot key.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:56 AM   #13
ezurick

Quote:
You've got it right - select actions window. I don't have a wireless keyboard but my impression is you can have several active simultaneously. The procedure is exactly like mapping any other hot key.
Great! I got one on its way to me! Tigerdirect.com had 'em for $29.95. I was struggling for something like this without having to unload a bunch of cash for a control surface, just for transport functions.

My computer and setup is in a different room than my equipment for recording and what a pain it is to arm a track, hit record and run to the other room to get to the instruments. Hopefully this item will resolve that! Thanks for your feedback and info. ~ peace