Just a little experience.
I Tried to replicate the behavior of the Famous LA2A comp with Reacomp
I set up reacomp and made a JS just for control it (3 faders)
JS don't make anything except controlling Reacomp parameters with link parameter modulation
I'm pretty Happy with the result.
Check by yourself:
- Open Reaper and use action "show REAPER resource path in explorer"
- Download and unzip that file in the "Effects" folder -> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30049114/Reacomp%20Control.zip
- Download and drop that Fx Chain in the FXChains folder -> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30049114/Ren...acomp.RfxChain
- Restart Reaper, and use the add FX chain fonction to load "Reno-LA2A control over Reacomp"
- Except for lookin' at the Gain reduction meter, you don't need to open Reacomp, everything is controlled by the JS (or modulation)
- It is calibrating to be fully fonctional @ 0dbVU= -18dbfs for traditional signal and @ -9dbfs peak for percussive stuff
For calibrating traditional audio :
You can use d.bop awesome free plug-in before the FX chain(http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81128
Set 0VU @ -18 and trim gain until 0Db
For calibrating percussive audio :
Trim item with fader @ unity until your Track meter display -9
and that's all