Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
ChetStrzepa
Human being with feelings

Default monitor stand question

My monitor stands are solid wood made up of a 4x4 attached to an 18in flat round wood disc at the bottom. They are fairly heavy with monitor pads with 1/4" steel plates under my Event PS8 monitors.

However, the flat round wood base sits on a somewhat plush carpet, so I have noticed that the stands are able to sway somewhat if you push up against them. My question is, is this swaying an issue with my monitoring and should I try to eliminate it?

I'd like to work with the stands I have since I like how they look, rather than doing something like stacking concrete blocks up from the floor.

I was thinking of trying to maybe put some 8"x16" concrete blocks on the carpet and then simply resting the flat wood bases on top of them. or, maybe adding some "feet" to the bottoms of the stands for better stability?

Thanks
Chet
ChetStrzepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
JHughes

Technically, they should be anchored. Who knows if you could hear a difference.

Anyway, you could try spikes. They would go through the carpet to the floor, and then they wouldn't sway. Maybe narrow screws would work.

Like this: http://www.audioholics.com/education...019s-the-point
Old 05-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
ChetStrzepa

Thanks - the spike idea seems worth a try. Any thoughts on DIY spikes? I'm thinking of trying to make some of my own spikes from lag bolts with sharp points. Dayton Audio seems to make some nice spikes/cone feet.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
JHughes

Pointy bolts or screws seem as good as anything to me, and the price is right!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
ChetStrzepa

Well, it was a lot of sawdust for nothing...I used #10 screws which actually were fine. The issue is that the base itself I think is too small, and still tends to have some swagger in it even with the screws going down into the carpet to the concrete. With the 18in round wood at the bottom, I had 4 screws in an inscribed square which was only about 12"x12". I think I need to go to a larger base with 3 or 4 spikes or cones. Also, I might need to add more weight, even to replace the wood 4x4 with 3" pipe filled with sand. But this is also starting to sound like more work, time, and/or money than I expected...
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetStrzepa View Post
this is also starting to sound like more work, time, and/or money than I expected...
Oh if I had a nickel for every time I said that....

I'm all for getting the best sound you can get, but there must be a point of diminishing returns. Have you done all the room treatment you can? I'm guessing you get more bang for your buck with that.

Also, is there a particular thing about your monitor sound that you believe the spikes will fix? Maybe there are other ways to go about fixing that problem.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
JHughes

I'm using five cinder blocks per side, which I stuffed with old clothes. It is a lot of work. Be persistent, it is real work, but you have to take it seriously if you want professional results. It'll be worth it if you finally start eliminating those nasty resonances. You'll figure out your ears are even better than you thought, which is a damn fine feeling.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
ChetStrzepa

Unless I want to get divorced I am basically at the limit of my room treatment currently. The treatments did improve things quite a lot already, but this issue with the stands is one thing that has been in the back of my mind for awhile. I'm pretty sure I can address it without making the room uglier.

I believe replacing my wood 4x4 with 3 in pipe filled with sand would help, but I need a better (e.g. bigger) base probably with some type of spikes/cones for the carpet floor. Maybe just a larger rectangular or square piece of wood for the base might work.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Rodal

Try just using 3 spikes rather than 4, much more stable and no chance of any slight rocking of the stand.
Rodal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
ChetStrzepa

That's a good point, I didn't realize originally that 3 feet should eliminate the rocking/swaying in theory. My only concern is I would guess the stand would be more likely to tip with 3 instead or 4 feet. Anyway, this is worth trying out.

After rummaging around Lowe's tonight, I'm toying with the idea of making some heavier stands with 3" PVC pipe filled with sand, and larger solid wood bases.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
James HE

PVC filled with sand is really easy. Get 4 Toilet Flanges, some pVC pipe, primer and Cement. Glue the flanges to both sides of the pipes. The flanges give you something to very easily screw a top and base into. Keep the knockout in the Flange on the bottoms, remove it on the top and fill with sand. (or just fill it before putting the top flange on). Spray paint them pretty if you like.

you are still going to have the same problem with wobbling though.

For spikes, you could try to find some sort of inserts that would take a bolt. Got it! Epoxy nuts into the base. Drill a hole big enough for the bolt all the way through, then drill a hole big enough for the nut only halfway through the wood, then superglue or epoxy that nut in the wood. (have the nut be on the underside, so if they epoxy fails, they will still be held in by tension) This way you could easily adjust the height of the spikes to level your stands. If you are good with a chisel, you might be able to notch a hex shaped hole for the nut.

or, you could just periodically yell out "My turntables wobble but they don't fall down!" while mixing and call it good.

Last edited by James HE; 05-02-2012 at 08:26 PM.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
ChetStrzepa

I just ordered some fairly cheap spikes that seem well suited for the bottom of stands on carpet. So I will likely try to make a 3-point base first with these and see how that works.

I will need to reduce the height of the stands too. I was wondering about determining the right height, since currently I think they are a bit too high. My impression is that the tweeters should be at the same height as your ears.

But, do I want to avoid having the woofer half way between floor and ceiling?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
dea-man

Default I am correct in thinking.......

...that I read somewhere that cinder blocks were the shit for something like this? Or, was it bricks.

Also, has anybody ever tried one of those recoil monitor stabilizers?

Like these: http://www.primacoustic.com/index-recoil.htm

Are they what they are purported to be?
Old 05-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
ChetStrzepa

Well, here's what I ended up doing:

The spikes I got were these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=240-725

The price was right and they seemed to work pretty well. They pierce right through the carpet and padding to the concrete below. I used some scrap 1x3's screwed to my round base to make 3 spike feet that stuck out a couple of inches, such that the round base was roughly inscribed inside the triangle.

Three points was the way to go...there's definitely less sway now. Oh yea, I also cut the stand height down so that now the overall height is about 1 inch lower than before.

Does it sound different? Well, I'm not sure. I'm noticing maybe a bit more detail in the upper mid range. Maybe the base is slightly clearer, or maybe I'm being optimistic! I need to do some more listening and checking. I'm probably due to dust off Room EQ Wiz as well since it's been awhile.

Appreciate the responses on this.
Thanks
Chet
Old 05-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #15
RJHollins

well ... without pictures .... it never happened.

also ... it's hard to offer insights ... needless to say, the better
the decoupling AND stability is always a good thing.

Now the questions ...

Are the monitors in direct contact with the stands ??? or do you have some
type of 'de-coupling' material between the actual monitor and the top shelve of the stand ??

IF monitors are in direct contact, then you still can improve it [without spending much more money].

What I used [laugh if you like] are 'DrScholl's massaging gel' shoe inserts.

I know ... sounds crazy, but what I did was cut the 'heal' section off, and then cut the heal into 4 pieces [it's about 1" x 2"], then placed 4 pieces under each monitor. My stands are solid concrete blocks. This method passed the stethoscope listening test. Got the DrS's at the $ollar $tore.

Remember ... resonant frequencies traveling through solids are not aways 'broadband' in nature ... many times it will be a certain frequency that resonants. You don't want that.
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
ChetStrzepa

I could post some pictures, but, I'm not sure of the proper way. I'm pretty sure I could just attach a jpg to the post.

My monitors are sitting on top of 1/4" thick steel plates that sit atop Auralex Mopads. The steel plates were homemade and coated with a "non-slip" rubber paint. The idea is kind of like the Primeacoustic recoil stabilizers I think. The mopads have some angle so I have them setup to point the monitors towards my ears.