Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Rwh457
Human being with feelings

Default Track playback sounds like Angry Chipmunks

Ok Now I am beginning to thing there is a ghost in my machine. I think I have done everything the same every time I set up in location. I use the same process and always cover the mundane items with particular notice. At least I think I did.

I have two other files with problems. One sounds like the one I described earlier. The other one also sounds gritty and extremely distorted but unlike the first one playback speed is very slow. I can change the pitch of the tones but I cant seem to change playback speed.

This happened once before -maybe a month ago both times I used the laptop. I never had any problems while using the firepod on my desktop. I went to the laptop so I could take the files home and work there on finishing things up for submittal. Now I'm not so sure that was a good decision.

Could this possibly be due to a routing issue? One other thought comes up wherein I have plugged the usb line into a 1.0 jack instead of 2.0. Hmmmm. I'm not certain on that laptop. Just for curiosity I can't wait to go see one way or the other. I will post back in in a few minutes. Needless to say I am open to suggestions.

Rw
Rwh457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
lowerbout

Check your playrate control in transport bar. It is very easy to accidentally change it on some keyboards and some laptops. You can hide it if that is the problem.
lowerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Rwh457

I found there are no usb1.x ports on that laptop in question. I have been able to drop the faders down on one on the files and the distortion is greatly reduced but not completely gone. I then compressed it and got back some of the lower level signals to where they can be heard but needless to say - to me it sounds like crap. I then brought the faders back up to see what the result would be-On my pc it all sounds like crap but on a cheap player it sounds acceptable so I will go ahead and submit it as is. The other file that plays slowly and is distorted-that is a fight for another day!

I am one of those folks who don't want to just know HOW to do something but rather I want to also know WHY we would do something - in the context of recording audio.

I have an older XP machine that crashed and has been swiped clean and reset with reaper 4.0 . I had planned to check the files from the suspect laptop on the xp machine just to see what would happen. Before I could get the files loaded onto a flash drive, my Presonus Firepod software crashed and I have to go back thru reinstalling all that again. So I have all of this happening on the same day!!! I kind of felt like Rosanne Rosanadanna when her ball of sweat would not fall off! I struggled and I survived.

Rw
Rwh457 is offline   Reply With Quote