Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-19-2014, 02:50 AM   #1
MileHighProphet
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper tracks keep playing after the song is stopped

This question was asked before waaaaay back in 07, but was never responded to. When I am playing back source material, the stop button will stop playback on most of the tracks but not all. Usually it is a few of the percussion tracks. Not sure if it matters, but the percussion are always the first recorded tracks in the bundle like 1, 2, 3 ...

This issue is fairly new; about 2 updates ago. I have been building a recording studio for about 7 months, so have not had a chance to look into this until now. I am not sure if I am all the way up to 4.611 as I updated in February and the PC is not allowed to connect to the networked world for safety. Hopefully the new update has resolved this, but it has survived the previous 3 updates with no change.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
MileHighProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Sorry, there are a lot of specifics missing. Can you please elaborate on what's (audio? MIDI?) on the first 3 tracks? I assume it's MIDI, is that driving one or more VSTi and which ones exactly or are you using external hardware and how did you hook that up? Also please state your operating system/platform and REAPER version (32 or 64 bit?)
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
Garrick

you are freaking me out man
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighProphet View Post
This question was asked before waaaaay back in 07, but was never responded to.
... This issue is fairly new; about 2 updates ago.
... but it has survived the previous 3 updates with no change.
Pick one?

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?
Old 04-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
MileHighProphet

I have a Win 7 PC 64 bit Reaper. There are no Midi tracks in the project. There are active VST affects in most of the 21 tracks. This not a complicated project. Simple recorded audio tracks. The issue is that several, not all, of the tracks continue playing after playback is stopped with the GUI stop button, spacebar or my project mix I/O. I have 2 Tascam US1800 and the Projectmix I/O all unified via ASIO4ALL. This issue is present when I have all or none of the hardware connected. No settings have been changed in the system from when it worked properly. Not much chance of uploading an example of the project as it seems to just be this software on my PC. This issue does not happen on my other PC running Cubase and did not happen for over a year of Reaper use. No error messages of any kind, acts like this is the way it is supposed to work.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
MileHighProphet

Mr Darkstar, the first time this issue was postulated was by someone else in 2007, whom never recieved a reply or assistance. The rest of the confusing info is that this copy of Reaper worked fine for the first 2 update but the issue I am having has been prevelent for the last 3 updates with no change. Just trying to add value here. I have seen that this issue has happened to others and not just me.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:19 AM   #7
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
There are active VST affects in most of the 21 tracks.
What happens when you bypass them?

Quote:
The issue is that several, not all, of the tracks continue playing after playback is stopped with the GUI stop button, spacebar or my project mix I/O.
For how long are they playing back? Forever or for n seconds? How are they playing back? Just like transport was never stopped or in an odd loop, with/without glitches?

Quote:
I have 2 Tascam US1800 and the Projectmix I/O all unified via ASIO4ALL. This issue is present when I have all or none of the hardware connected. No settings have been changed in the system from when it worked properly.
But does this happen on all of your projects or just on one of them? Does that also happen with a fresh project with only some imported audio tracks?

Quote:
Not much chance of uploading an example of the project as it seems to just be this software on my PC.
That's complicating troubleshooting quite a bit. If you don't want the project to be seen in public, just email it to support[at]cockos[dot]com.

Quote:
Mr Darkstar, the first time this issue was postulated was by someone else in 2007, whom never recieved a reply or assistance. [...] I have seen that this issue has happened to others and not just me.
I just tried searching but all I found was threads with the usual suspects (MIDI synths/arps keeping playing after stop). Do you have a link to what you've found?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
DarkStar

Thank you, I was confused. Got it, now.

From what you've posted, the problem is only with Reaper on your system.

Just thinking out loud (and repeating Ollie to some extent):
-- is it only with one Reaper project or several or all on that system?
-- which plug-ons are on the problem tracks?
-- can you try a problem project on another system?
-- what happens if you Solo one problem track?
-- what happens if you delete all the other tracks?
-- can you cut down a problem project to one correct track and one problem track and a few bars and attach that?

And, just to double-check - the audio from the problem tracks continues to register on the track and Master track meters after the transport is stopped? Is it possible to relate that audio on the track (i.e which part continues being played)?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
MileHighProphet

Thanks so much Ollie and Darkstar! I need a few days to try it out, I do most of my studio work on the weekends. I will reply soon with the outcome of these tests and I will try some of the suggestions here. Hope this finds you well.

Regards

MHP
Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
georgemarauder

I don't have much to add except say that I had a similar bug happen to me. I would stop playback on the track and a random note would ring out from a random VSTi in my mix. It would just sustain forever until I clicked stop a few more times, then it would stop. Weird, but not game-breaking.
georgemarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
Celphor

Default Weird

Hi,

I have the same problem too under some circumstances:

Setup:

I have a vocal track in a vocal group folder.
I have an empty track in that folder and send the output of my vocal track into that empty track.
After stopping the playback the vocal track still plays for a few second and then stops.
If I disable the fx chain on the receiving empty track everything is fine.
If I instead disable all fx in the chain playback continues for some time!

Really strange. I have other tracks in that folder (reverb group sends etc) that work as expected...

Greetings

SOLVED!!!!

I had a send to and receive from the same track (aka "circular reference"). Oh no ;-) After removing the unwanted receive everything is fine.
I don't know why this raises exactly this behavior, but of course this setup is complete nonsense (happened by mistake).

@HighMileProphet: Maybe you also have a circle. Maybe across several tracks so it is not visible immediately.

Last edited by Celphor; 10-02-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Solved
Celphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #12
KMFrye

Default Reper plays on after "Stop" is clicked..

Hi- I don't want to hijack this thread, but some of the symptoms are close (but not quite) to the symptoms I've been having since I d/l'd 5.01.

I work 99% in audio (WAV files and live recording through an M-audio M-track) When I am recording, latency is not an issue. I seem to have solved that. However, what does bug me is the up to two seconds of playback that happens when I click "Stop". This is about three times the lag time that occurs when I push "Play" or "record".

It makes fine editing very hard, because often, the point I want to edit has moved offscreen by the time the transport finally stops playing back.

As I said, there are no latency issues to speak of (at least none I can hear so far), but this "play on" thing is driving me batty.

Happens across all the projects I have ongoing, and has only cropped up with the update to Five. Haven't paid for 5 yet and if it keeps up, I may simply slide back into 4 once the demo time is up.

Suggestions are welcome. I figure it's a setting I have missed or overlooked, but I'll be blowed if I an find it.
KMFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #13
Trione

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemarauder View Post
I don't have much to add except say that I had a similar bug happen to me. I would stop playback on the track and a random note would ring out from a random VSTi in my mix. It would just sustain forever until I clicked stop a few more times, then it would stop. Weird, but not game-breaking.
I'm having this same bug in a fresh install of reaper 5.974 I'm using with no plugins or anything installed. Record a midi reasynth track. Hit pause... current chord often just keeps ringing. It feels like super buggy, inconsistent behavior.

Edit: noticed this only happens when triggering the pause action from my midi controller, not keyboard commands. Still happens with Enter key, just significantly less often. Any help appreciated!!

Last edited by Trione; 04-20-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Trione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #14
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trione View Post

Edit: noticed this only happens when triggering the pause action from my midi controller, not keyboard commands. Any help appreciated!!
maybe you are pausing it before it sees the note off message
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #15
Trione

Sorry, that was incorrect about it being just a midi controller issue, it just does it much more through the midi controller, about 2/3s of the time, when I try with the midi controller and about 20% of the time when I use the return key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
maybe you are pausing it before it sees the note off message
What do you mean by this? What do I need to change?
Old 04-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #16
domzy

Quote:

What do you mean by this? What do I need to change?
try using play/stop (spacebar) rather than play/pause (return), or edit the return key action so that it sends an all notes off message (as well as pause)
Old 04-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #17
Trione

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
try using play/stop (spacebar) rather than play/pause (return)
But play/stop is a different command than play/pause, you can't use them interchangeably, they do different things and are both useful. And avoiding a core daw function because reaper is super buggy isn't exactly a solution.

Quote:
or edit the return key action so that it sends an all notes off message (as well as pause)
How would I do this? By default reaper doesn't let me bind multiple actions to one key/midi command.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
domzy

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

But play/stop is a different command than play/pause, you can't use them interchangeably, they do different things and are both useful. And avoiding a core daw function because reaper is super buggy isn't exactly a solution.

How would I do this? By default reaper doesn't let me bind multiple actions to one key/midi command.
I know it's a different command, you need to choose what you want to happen. MIDI is a serial stream of data, starting with a note on message and ending with a note off message, if you pause the data stream before the note off message then it will continue playing (hanging) until you tell it to stop.
You can edit the action for the return key by making it a custom action and adding an all notes off message, so that it basically behaves the same as stop (MIDI) while the audio and playhead behaviour should stay the same (pause), if this is what you need. There are probably some video tutorials showing how to make custom actions
Old 04-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #19
domzy

Quote:

it does if you click the "new" custom action button in the action window (?)
Old 04-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #20
Trione

Quote:
I know it's a different command, you need to choose what you want to happen.
Not sure what you mean, I just want the play/pause action to work.

Quote:
MIDI is a serial stream of data, starting with a note on message and ending with a note off message, if you pause the data stream before the note off message then it will continue playing (hanging) until you tell it to stop.
You can edit the action for the return key by making it a custom action and adding an all notes off message, so that it basically behaves the same as stop (MIDI) while the audio and playhead behaviour should stay the same (pause), if this is what you need. There are probably some video tutorials showing how to make custom actions
So, to clarify, you're not sure how how, but you are saying I might be able to find video tutorials to custom script a new action to get the play/pause button working?
Old 04-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #21
domzy

Quote:
Not sure what you mean, I just want the play/pause action to work.
i probably haven't explained myself very well, just saying that logical behaviour for pausing a MIDI stream means you run the risk of not having a note off message, whilst "stop" ensures this doesn't happen (theoretically) by making sure the note off is there.

Quote:
So, to clarify, you're not sure how how, but you are saying I might be able to find video tutorials to custom script a new action to get the play/pause button working?
i'm pretty sure how, just click the "new" custom action button in the action window and drag the relevant actions across
Old 04-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #22
Trione

Quote:
it does if you click the "new" custom action button in the action window (?)
I'll look into this next.

This all leaves me a bit discouraged; this thread is 5+ years old and this super basic issue is ongoing, with multiple new threads on it every year. Are long standing bugs like this in the most basic functions in reaper pretty common?
Old 04-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #23
Trione

domzy That worked! I didn't think it would work putting stop midi after play/pause for the play function, since it sends play, then stop... but for some reason it does!

Very glad this is fixable, but absurd it has to be done manually. They introduced this as default behavior for the play/stop button to fix the same bug there years ago, but didn't apply it here as well for some reason.

Anywho, thanks a bunch!

Last edited by Trione; 04-20-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #24
domzy

Quote:

This all leaves me a bit discouraged; this thread is 5+ years old and this super basic issue is ongoing, with multiple new threads on it every year. Are long standing bugs like this in the most basic functions in reaper pretty common?
to be honest, i've never really had major problems with this, so i've probably not been the best person to reply to your post, but i have seen other posts about it
Old 07-16-2020, 06:12 AM   #25
Bad_Bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celphor View Post
SOLVED!!!!

I had a send to and receive from the same track (aka "circular reference"). Oh no ;-) After removing the unwanted receive everything is fine.
I don't know why this raises exactly this behavior, but of course this setup is complete nonsense (happened by mistake).

@HighMileProphet: Maybe you also have a circle. Maybe across several tracks so it is not visible immediately.
This was exactly my issue as well! Glad I found this - I was totally lost.
Bad_Bart is offline   Reply With Quote