Old 03-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Rocky
Human being with feelings

Default Please critique my songs!

How do,

New forum member. Only had Reaper for a couple of months after I started buying some gear to get recording again. Used to be in a band a long time ago and we were doing quite well but had to leave so now am stuck to doing my own stuff when I can (work gets in the way).

Whilst I like the songs I've composed where I fall down is the execution. My problem partly is I am impatient which I'm trying to address. I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to mixing and mastering!
As far as I can go is trying to get the levels of each track right but my knowledge of compression and EQ is bad - even with having read a load of stuff on here I can't get my head round it very easily.

So please if you have the time to listen to the track and can offer any feedback both in terms of the song itself, but particularly the mix/master and what the problems are there that you can immediately see it would be gratefully received.

I am not the best singer either! I wasn't the singer in my old band!

Thanks in advance

https://soundcloud.com/rocky101278/s...r-everything-1

Last edited by Rocky; 03-04-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
mollvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
How do,

New forum member. Only had Reaper for a couple of months after I started buying some gear to get recording again. Used to be in a band a long time ago and we were doing quite well (manager/recording at Abbey Rd/etc) but had to leave so now am stuck to doing my own stuff when I can (work gets in the way).

Whilst I like the songs I've composed where I fall down is the execution. My problem partly is I am impatient which I'm trying to address. I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to mixing and mastering!
As far as I can go is trying to get the levels of each track right but my knowledge of compression and EQ is bad - even with having read a load of stuff on here I can't get my head round it very easily.

So please if you have the time to listen to the track and can offer any feedback both in terms of the song itself, but particularly the mix/master and what the problems are there that you can immediately see it would be gratefully received.

I am not the best singer either! I wasn't the singer in my old band!

Thanks in advance

https://soundcloud.com/rocky101278/s...r-everything-1
Not bad, not bad at all...
mollvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
cc85

Cool tune Rocky..I like it. I know you are looking for advice on the mix and take this with a grain of salt..lol, cause I'm still learning myself but the two things that stuck out to me most was the heavy reverb on the vocals and the panning of the acoustic. I'm guessing, but it sounds like your guitars are panned within 50 percent of center..maybe try panning slightly more to open things up. The reverb, I'm kinda stuck on cause it fits the song but im curious what it would sound like with less of it. Again just my opinion so dont take offense. But I really do like the song...good job.
cc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Dafinga

I like the song too. I'm still learning mixing too, but it does sound muddy to me. The vocals don't always stand out, and the volume on them fluctuates - so compression could help there, or volume automation (which takes longer). The most noticeable thing is that all the sounds are competing for acoustic space. The acoustic strumming guitar seems to be competing with the vocals for sonic space - try carving out space for each one. Try eq-ing the guitar as you solo it with only the vocals; often you can notice that a lot of frequencies are being used that you can't hear. And put only as much reverb as you need. Another thing my engineer friend taught me is to remove frequencies below about 200hz from all but the bass guitar and kick. He also recently taught me to put a delay on the reverb (i.e. it comes in slightly later) - this allows the sound, e.g. vocals, to punch through more. Seriously though, I'm just brainstorming here - I'm so no expert! Hope this helps a bit. and good job!
Dafinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:21 AM   #5
Rocky

Mollvik - Thank you

cc85 - Always happy to get feedback. The guitars are panned to 56%. I used to simply pan all my doubled guitars to 100% opposite each other but after reading about bearing in mind mono compatibility I backed them up less extreme but usually keep them above the 50% pan. Do you think it should be more or less then for this song? As for the reverb it was pretty deliberate - partly as I'm pretty conscious of my vocal skill so it's a good cover up and it was also to put it similar to Sarah McLachlin's on 'Angel'. Thank you for the comments!

Dafinga - You're sort of confirmed my fears about the muddy sound. As far as the vocals go I have put quite a bit of compression on them to try and even the volume levels. I'm guessing it's still quite noticeable the fluctuations then. I may have to learn to deal with automation then to rectify it. Now you mention EQ - this is where I really falter. I did try and adjust the boosts so that they peak at different frequencies but I don't know about putting in high/low pass filters. Should I be quite ruthless so that I take away frequencies on everything to different degrees to let everything else breathe? I thought that may make things sound a bit limited and thin. As you can see my knowledge is limited! I'll have to try that tip your friend suggests.
I've attached another track which has more instruments including drums so again please be honest:

https://soundcloud.com/rocky101278/he-even-loved
Old 03-05-2014, 03:59 AM   #6
Moonwrist

Hello

Here are few quick points I noticed.

The lead voc doesn't stay at the n 1 place all the time. In some parts it is behind the guitars. I would try to ad a little more presence with eq. Maybe something between 3k - 5k. Then some volume automation to keep that vocal up front all the time.
Maybe you could also try to ad a s-limiter to vocal and take a little bit high end off of the reverb. At the start of the song those s kind of jump out.

For ac gtr I would try to make they sound more similar space as the lead voc. To overstate it the ac gtr sound is similar to have my ear 30 cm in front of it and vocals sound more natural space like in a same room or hall.
Moonwrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Rocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwrist View Post
Hello

Here are few quick points I noticed.

The lead voc doesn't stay at the n 1 place all the time. In some parts it is behind the guitars. I would try to ad a little more presence with eq. Maybe something between 3k - 5k. Then some volume automation to keep that vocal up front all the time.
Maybe you could also try to ad a s-limiter to vocal and take a little bit high end off of the reverb. At the start of the song those s kind of jump out.

For ac gtr I would try to make they sound more similar space as the lead voc. To overstate it the ac gtr sound is similar to have my ear 30 cm in front of it and vocals sound more natural space like in a same room or hall.
Thanks for the pointers. I'm not sure I get some of what you say (what's an S-limiter? but hear what you're saying about the vox and guitar. I think my guitar sound is spreading across too many frequencies so interferes with the bass and vocals at either end but I was worried if I cut too much the guitar would sound weak :/
Old 03-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Rocky

Uploaded another track. Now apart from the vocals this was all VSTi so there is no compression or EQ as (foolishly) assumed it would already be done with it being digital and all.
It's a piano ballad with strings. Any comments gratefully received:

https://soundcloud.com/rocky101278/tomorrow
Old 03-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #9
BlessedOne72

Default rules of Thumb (:

okay ... ;

for starters #1 :

don't over put stuff / material in to a mix . I know it's easy (sometimes worth of it)
to do a take after a take recording lots of ideas, that in the last stage won't do any good to the final mix . I believe it's the modern way of people working on songs ... (re-) comping their stuff .

Just a thought ... on, "Sitting Under Everything" the Acoustic is fight for space / air with against the piano .

for starters #2 :

I know those panning-tricks work when the End-Listener (Customer)
and you (the artist) listen the music on headphones .
I'd prefer doing the mixing, etc. on decent studio-monitors .

for starters #3 :

The art of Rhythm ... whether it'd be a shaker or conga backing mixed "dead center" on very low level usually does the trick .

a few other suggestions :

don't over-compress ...

keep the tone-controls of your stereo-amplifier, etc. on neutral .

always be open to comments by fellow musicians and have a re-listen to your fave tunes now and then ... and take notes how they've been done / make the promise some day your own tunes piss on them .

listen to your material in every place / on all equip as possible .

aND 4 concerning me ... ;

I'm anxious to collab on a as many projects as time allows for - no fee - .
no double-kick metal though .

- over 'n' out -

zergei W .
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
Rocky

Zergei-thank you for the comprehensive reply. I am awful at keeping on layering tracks on my songs - I can't help but want to add which as you rightly state contributes to the clutter.
I appreciate all the points you raise and, along with the other suggestions above, will go back to remix to try and improve-I'm always open to feedback to improve!
I have only a modest set up and my speakers (M Audio BX5 D2) lack in the bottom end do when I play my stuff on conventional speakers it highlights the muddiness (hence wanting to put on CD and get others to listen to for feedback).
When you say you're open to collaboration-in what way? Composing? Recording? Mixing? If you're offering mixing skills I'd happily take you up-likewise I'm open to recording!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 AM   #11
Moonwrist

Quote:
what's an S-limiter?
An s-limiter or de-esser is a compressor/limiter that affect only the sibilance frequencies. These vary with singers but 5k - 12k is a good starting point. When it detect those high frequencies it compress the signal making the s quieter.

You can try this with ReaXComp. There are two presets for de-essing. ReaXComp only compress those trouble frequencies.
You can also try ReaComp and set Detector input HPF to 5k or above. Now ReaComp only compress the signal according that HPF and it compress the whole signal not just those high frequencies.

Hope this help.
Moonwrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
Rocky

Ok...
So I have gone back to my recorded songs and taken the tips given above and watched a load of Youtube tutorials on EQ, and mixing etc and had another go at mixing my tracks.
I've not been boosting, but rather cutting out frequencies to try and give everything space and dropping back any instruments which don't need to sit up front in the mix.
I've uploaded a different song and while I think it's better mixed than the previous songs (bearing in mind it's a different style) it still doesn't seem to "shimmer" and sounds a bit muted despite the fact that my monitors seemed to make the tracks sound like they had a lot of space and air but now listening back on different speakers they still sound a bit "dull". But if there are any comments or suggestions, again they would be gratefully received.

https://soundcloud.com/rocky101278/shes-no-angel
Old 03-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #13
Rocky

Nobody?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
smueske

I haven't read any of the other comments, so please forgive me if I duplicate anything (I'm responding to the song in the initial post). Most of this is going to fit into the personal preference department, so take everything with a grain of salt.

I was pleasantly surprised by this. From the language in the original post, I expected something a little duller sounding.

Early on, I think the vocal is too effected and the types of effects between the guitar and vocals seem to sit a bit awkwardly together. When the full instrumentation kicks in, everything seems to work better together. Therefore, I'd recommend easing off on the effects in the early part of the song and then automating them back in when the full song starts up. Lastly, I think the bass could come up just a tad.

I really enjoyed this!
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:04 AM   #15
Rocky

Smueske-thanks for the feedback. As a result of some of the other comments I have since addressed some of the issues you raise (albeit not reposted the new mix). I've got rid of the stereo panning on the guitar arpeggio and cut EQ rather than boosting it which hopefully has also brought the bass up.
The last track I posted was done after the comments above and I'd gone away and learnt a bit more about EQ'ung whereas the first 3 tracks were all my first (worse) efforts.
Appreciate the feedback
Old 03-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
Dimaension X

Quote:
Ok...
So I have gone back to my recorded songs and taken the tips given above and watched a load of Youtube tutorials on EQ, and mixing etc and had another go at mixing my tracks.
I've not been boosting, but rather cutting out frequencies to try and give everything space and dropping back any instruments which don't need to sit up front in the mix.
I've uploaded a different song and while I think it's better mixed than the previous songs (bearing in mind it's a different style) it still doesn't seem to "shimmer" and sounds a bit muted despite the fact that my monitors seemed to make the tracks sound like they had a lot of space and air but now listening back on different speakers they still sound a bit "dull". But if there are any comments or suggestions, again they would be gratefully received.

https://soundcloud.com/rocky101278/shes-no-angel
A good song overall. Sounds a bit like a more modern uptempo Tom Petty ballad. The piano and voice on the song "Tomorrow" really sound good. That's a very good overall mix.

Here's the thing that does need some work on this song, though - the drum sound. They're very "thin" and "tinny". Could just be the samples you're using, but add a bit of low end eq.

Your song style is not what I usually listen to, but I like what you're doing. It's a very elegant pop sound, that could easily be on modern pop radio.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #17
Andy Hamm

I'd say that it's Very Good - both the composition and the execution of the recording. It has a real meat and potatoes starting point that could be picked apart, but it has a good, honest feel to it.

Sorry I just read through the thread - I was referring to the first song in the first post.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
Andy Hamm

Ok the second song - I like this too, but so far I've only listened to where the electric guitar comes in.

What strikes me is the is the urge to emphasise the lower 'FM Radio announcer' portion of your voice on the parts where you say 'You' for example. Richen up your vocal and make it sound warmer and a little more 'soothing' if you will. The low tone in the male voice is what swoons chicks and this is a ballad type song at this point so use that to your advantage. A broad boost at around 125Hz will likely do the trick, and lower any HPF you might be using to around 75Hz - move it up if there is 'noise' but be conservative with your hpf. You might also want to try just copying the track and compressing the hell out of the copy to bring up formants and breath noises for a little more intimacy - mix it in where it's needed and serves the performance.

Moving along and dropping in on different portions of the mix, it's a little tinny and could use some warmth on just about everything IMO.

Your vocal kind of reminds me of this guy:

Last edited by Andy Hamm; 03-15-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added youtube
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #19
Rocky

Dimaension - thanks for the comments. 'Tomorrow' was probably the one track that needed the least tinkering as it was all VSTi apart from the VOX so shouldn't have had too much unwanted noise to filter out.
The drums are ported directly from my old Zoom digital multitrack where I had programmed them on that on older recorded versions. I don't have a live kit or a VSTi yet (which will be the next purchase) so I just used the old track I had so it meant I couldn't adjust the individual drums so best I could do was an overall compression and EQ, but I'll add seom of what you suggest to improve it.

Andy - I'm perfectly happy to be picked apart! It's the only way to improve!
I do have the HPF set higher than you suggest. I have a really low speaking voice normally so was conscious to try and remove some of the bottom end so it did not sound muddy and mix with the lower instruments. I hadn't thought of your copying idea for the track and will give that a go to see how it works.
It's funny how you say it sounds 'tinny'. I had deliberately added some top end as it was sounding really bottom heavy when I was listening to it! It just goes to show how easy it is to lose perspective and remain subjective when you're listening to the same track over and over. I am trying to break it up with reference material so I don't lose sight of what I'm trying to achieve!
Your Youtube clip was obviously on the money. My daiughter walked in as I was playing it and said it sounded just like me too!

Thank you both for your time and the feedback. Always helpful and appreciated.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:08 AM   #20
bladerunner

I did a mix and master of 'Under Everything' and with Rocky's blessing here it is...

https://soundcloud.com/loz-grover/ro...ything-mix-and

A very well recorded song that only needed compression of the vocal and the acoustic guitar lead. Everything else has been left, more or less, as it was played. The only mix compression was a touch from Ferric TDS at the mastering stage. Real pleasure to work with such a well crafted song
Old 04-08-2014, 04:42 AM   #21
Mink99

Only on the first sc link.

Sounds impressive, and is also well arranged and played.

A little personal opinion : I would have massively reduced the reverb on the voice, even at the risk of sounding a bit imperfect. This would have given the song a more fragile, charming touch. But that is what I would have done, no criticism on you approach ....
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #22
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
I did a mix and master of 'Under Everything' and with Rocky's blessing here it is...

https://soundcloud.com/loz-grover/ro...ything-mix-and

A very well recorded song that only needed compression of the vocal and the acoustic guitar lead. Everything else has been left, more or less, as it was played. The only mix compression was a touch from Ferric TDS at the mastering stage. Real pleasure to work with such a well crafted song
Well done bladerunner... very good advert for your skills, this sounds much better.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #23
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Well done bladerunner... very good advert for your skills, this sounds much better.
Thankyou very much. Really means a lot to me