Old 04-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
randyNH
Human being with feelings

Default Suddenly the timing is out of whack

I recorded a song that I rendered down and was listening to on different systems. I reopen the file to do more work to the project and 50% of the drum midi tracks are completely out of whack. The timing seems to have slowed down and threw the beat off completely. The track I added to a CD seems perfect. I opened a previous version of the song a day before the track wa,s rendered to cd, and the drums are screwed. I dont know how better to explain this, but it is quite frustrating. I may have to redo most of the song
randyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
randyNH

To add to this, I programmed all the drums in 4/4. Now each measure is missing a 16th note. I am totally confused at what happened, since my rendered file is perfect and the project file that it was rendered from is screwed
Old 04-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
richie43

Can you upload and post the rpp file? I don't need the audio or plugns, so just upload the rpp file (the little icon that you click to open a project. I am guessing that your BPM or time signature got changed....I've seen this happen before. Don't redo the project yet, this is probably an easy (but hard to find at first) fix.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
EricM

Aslo you may want to send the file privately (don't post a public link here),
as it is your complete work that is included in the project file (apart from
audio files/recordings).

e
Old 04-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
Aslo you may want to send the file privately (don't post a public link here),
as it is your complete work that is included in the project file (apart from
audio files/recordings).

e
Without any audio plugins, there is no chance of creative theft or song stealing..But definitely never post links. You can upload an rpp file though, but if you are as concerned as Eric, feel free to PM it. I just suggested the uploading to the forum so others here could have a look and maybe help. I've seen this done here frequently.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:45 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Without any audio plugins, there is no chance of creative theft or song stealing.
Of course there is. MIDI notes may well contain a composition that is subject to copyright.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Of course there is. MIDI notes may well contain a composition that is subject to copyright.
Ok, if people want to totally get off topic and make it difficult for the OP to get some help....Yes, the OP can PM the rpp file to every single person who offers to help instead of using the forum community as a whole and their vastly greater resources.....The OP can also save the project under a new name and remove all midi notes to lessen the copyright infringement scare and then still post the rpp.... Come on, I am just trying to help the OP by opening the project to check settings.....
Old 04-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
richie43

By the way, if it makes anyone feel better, the OP dropboxed the rpp file to me and the only midi information it contains is for Superior Drummer, so no catchy million dollar melodies for me to steal (darn, I have had a terrible rash of writer's block lately and was really looking forward to "my" new song....)
Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
AbstractDissonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyNH View Post
I recorded a song that I rendered down and was listening to on different systems. I reopen the file to do more work to the project and 50% of the drum midi tracks are completely out of whack. The timing seems to have slowed down and threw the beat off completely. The track I added to a CD seems perfect. I opened a previous version of the song a day before the track wa,s rendered to cd, and the drums are screwed. I dont know how better to explain this, but it is quite frustrating. I may have to redo most of the song
Basically reaper has buggy midi support. I have had this happen when there was two tempo changes right next to each other. My best guess is reaper couldn't decide where the midi item started and when I would edit the midi item it would try and shift it. It's probably just some calculation error in reaper that causes stuff like this but unless you can reproduce the results and sent them the project that they can use to debug, changes are it won't get fixed.

You could make life easier for yourself and everyone else by trying to create a project that has this bug in it.

1. Find the most recent project that doesn't have this bug.
2. Find the earliest project that does.
If you have backups enabled you might have to search through them.
3. Try to use the first project to get to the second recalling what you did.
4. Remove all excess junk that doesn't seem to be causing any problems from the projects. This just bloats the project and gets in the way.
5. Record a video if you can(liecap) of reaper exhibiting the bug. This is doesn't really help much but at least proves you are not insane. (of course there will be some that think you just hacked the video together or your bug is not worth their time).
6. Try and upload all that stuff in a bug report/forum post.

But basically, if the reaper team can't reproduce the bug they can't debug it and find out where it occurs in the code. They won't sift through thousands of lines of code or rewrite everything to get it to work. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of little midi bugs floating around too, but are too hard to "capture" to get fixed ;/
AbstractDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
richie43

After looking at this, I have a few ideas. One thing is that your grid settings are very broad, you don't have a very fine grid set up (you have it set for 1/4, I set mine as high as it goes). The other thing I noticed is that you have time changes marked, but you don't have snap enabled, so it's totally possible that when you set your markers (as well as where you put the midi loops even) you did not set them on the beat like you thought. When I opened the project, everything looked lined up until I zoomed in and saw that nothing lines up at all. Maybe you had it lined up but without snapping enabled, depending on your timebase settings, things shifted..? I would need to set up my own test project and see if I can recreate your problem, as it is right now I am only guessing based on the fact that I have default settings with snap enabled and grid settings at 1/128 and have never had my drum midi screwed up except for when I was messing with the BPM. Was the render you sent from the project wen it was first created? I guess I am curious if the project had ever been saved, closed, and reopened successfully....
Old 04-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #11
randyNH

The project had been saved an reopened successfully in the past. The fact that alot of items dont line up with the grid lines, typically happens for me when I need to tweak some transitions to get the timing right. I typically have snapping on, but I get screwed sometimes with timing changes and the only way I can get it to sound right is to take the snapping off and shift the items in small increments. I most certainly would prefer to have everything on grid though. The last thing I remember doing to the file, prior to having an issue, was shifting a section over with the snapping off to get it perfect. Actually there was a time change marker there also. I will fiddle with this and see if I can figure out what happened.

Oh and I personally am not worried about this music getting stolen, the style is not popular and I am re-recording a demo from a band I was in 10 years ago, just for fun. Thanks for the concerns though
Old 04-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
richie43

If you sent that to only me, I highly encourage you to send it to a few more people or go ahead and post it here (since you are not worried about theft and all). This forum always has a diverse selection of people with an even more diverse and very deep well of helpfulness. Good luck!!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
Fabian

Maybe... just maybe, the problem could be this:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5147

Maybe...