Old 06-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
Nizhny Tagil
Human being with feelings
 
Nizhny Tagil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 447
Default Extreme metal and experimental electronic dabblings

They've been completed a couple of months ago, actually, and I'm not very satisfied with either of them, but at this point I don't think I'll go back and work on them anymore.
One is an old school extreme metal endeavour that sounds a little like a garage demotape from the 90s. The other is a totally electronic experimental thing, mostly industrial-noise.
Everything was done with Reaper.

https://soundcloud.com/nizhny-tagil/...sday-time-loop

https://www.jamendo.com/album/167486/death-on-mars

Any suggestion/criticism is appreciated.

Last edited by Nizhny Tagil; 06-03-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
Strange Ways
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago-ish, IL USA
Posts: 30
Default

I liked the old school metal tunes...in standard tuning, no less! They sound a little bit like they were recorded under water, but the vibe certainly comes across. Metal has become so over-produced and pro-tooled (for the lack of a better word) within an inch of life that it's refreshing listening to these tunes and its greasy cheeseburger production. Good stuff.

The industrial tunes aren't my thing. Maybe somebody else can weigh in on those.
Strange Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:01 AM   #3
Nizhny Tagil
Human being with feelings
 
Nizhny Tagil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Ways View Post
I liked the old school metal tunes...in standard tuning, no less! They sound a little bit like they were recorded under water, but the vibe certainly comes across. Metal has become so over-produced and pro-tooled (for the lack of a better word) within an inch of life that it's refreshing listening to these tunes and its greasy cheeseburger production. Good stuff.

The industrial tunes aren't my thing. Maybe somebody else can weigh in on those.
Thanks a lot for the feedback! That was exactly my aim. I don't like modern metal productions very much, they are quite sterile to me. Unless that's sterile on purpose, like Meshuggah or Fear Factory etc.
Anyway, I, too, think my stuff lacks high freq brilliance and air. I'll have to work on that.
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:17 AM   #4
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18,216
Default

I really dig the Sabbath sound etc. in that first tune.
__________________
Your whole life people will tell you what you can't do. Getting past them is the first step to actually getting things done.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:25 AM   #5
Nizhny Tagil
Human being with feelings
 
Nizhny Tagil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 447
Default

Thanks, karbo! Blatant Sabbath worship .
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
marcel mono
Human being with feelings
 
marcel mono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 42
Default

I can't give any feedback to your metal tracks since i it's not really one of the gernes i have experience in.

But if you every want to do more industrial stuff, i think the tracks could benefit from (more) metallic percussion and hits. This would also add more HF content, which i find the tracks a bit lacking. Think of a post-apocalyptic world where the only instruments are made of metal scraps (+broken guitars ). I think you would really enjoy something like NI's "kinetic metal" for this kind of stuff!

Try to experiment with evolving soundscapes in the background as well, like a dissonant guitar-loop with a multi-FX unit on top which parameters are automated throughout the song to provide a changing backdrop for the rest of your elements (dark techno and similar genres do this quite a lot).

Just my two cents, i hope you can get some inspiration out of this.

Cheers!
__________________
Soundcloud / Youtube / Bandcamp / Facebook / Enjoy the Music!
marcel mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
Nizhny Tagil
Human being with feelings
 
Nizhny Tagil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 447
Default

Thank you for taking the time, sir!
I'm not familiar with the techniques you talk about, but I think I get the gist.
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #8
zeekat
Human being with feelings
 
zeekat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Polandia
Posts: 1,660
Default

If you took those Doomsday tunes from the grimy basement low-fi realm into regular-fi world they would make really nice regular proggy jams. Splithead is somewhat familiar and friendly sounding, can't quite put my finger why.
__________________
Double tracking means fat fingering the same flubs twice
soundclouds|youtubes
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #9
Nizhny Tagil
Human being with feelings
 
Nizhny Tagil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
If you took those Doomsday tunes from the grimy basement low-fi realm into regular-fi world they would make really nice regular proggy jams. Splithead is somewhat familiar and friendly sounding, can't quite put my finger why.
I'm not sure about that, I recorded the songs in a hurry and there are mistakes and "improvised" parts all over. I'm afraid if I would have mixed them better, it would have made things worse. Assuming I could, which I'm not...
I thought about re-recording and/or re-mixing them, but if I stay too long on the same stuff I get very sick of listening to it over and over. I don't know if it's just me or maybe someone else can relate to that too? It's like listening to your own voice over and over (literally, sometimes).

I hope I didn't pull a "Come as you are" with that song, if you remember that story!
Thanks!
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
morgon
Human being with feelings
 
morgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 'straya
Posts: 6,665
Default

The metal song is cool and heavy, the doomy low pitched vocals are okay buts its my opinion that because the sound is already heavy, the vox could stand to be pitched above the rest of it and be more melodic. Which shouldnt make it less heavy. You know like in a movie where theres a kind of sinister setting and the camera slowly zooms on someone in amongst the devastation and theyre humming or singing a tune...

The other tracks, I'm not experienced at industrial but I favour what marcel mono said in his post, rings true to me, cheers.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #11
Nizhny Tagil
Human being with feelings
 
Nizhny Tagil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
The metal song is cool and heavy, the doomy low pitched vocals are okay buts its my opinion that because the sound is already heavy, the vox could stand to be pitched above the rest of it and be more melodic. Which shouldnt make it less heavy. You know like in a movie where theres a kind of sinister setting and the camera slowly zooms on someone in amongst the devastation and theyre humming or singing a tune...

The other tracks, I'm not experienced at industrial but I favour what marcel mono said in his post, rings true to me, cheers.
Well, I'm a very limited singer but I'm trying to improve , then maybe I'll be able to introduce some variety into the vocals.
Thanks!
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.