Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper doesn't seem to be doing anything on HorizWheel messages?

I have the Logitech MX Master mouse, I got it primarily for the horizontal wheel function, which I feel is a godsend in DAW environment.

And it doesn't work in Reaper! While in Actions List the HorizWheel can be perfectly assigned to any mousewheel/relative action, when you actually try and use the wheel, nothing at all happens.

I found a way to work around this by customizing settings for the mouse in Logitech's software, by making the horizontal wheel not send HorizWheel messages, but "zoom in/out" instead, which Reaper recognizes as Ctrl+Mousewheel. And this works only partially.

For example, if I want Alt+HorizWheel to be my horizontal zoom, Reaper recognizes that as Ctrl+Alt+Mousewheel (so far so good), but when I actually go and use this action, it zooms rather randomly in BOTH directions! This is completely unusable. To add more to the issue, if I use the actual combination that Reaper recognizes (Ctrl+Alt+Mousewheel), it works exactly as intended, zooming only horizontally.

So there definitely seems to be something weird in how Reaper deals with these horizontal wheel messages, and partly what Logitech Options software does when it's set to "zoom in/out". But I would be very much glad to see Reaper fully support HorizWheel messages from this mouse, so I would urge devs to get this mouse and see what's wrong and how it can be fixed!

Ergonomy matters! Thank you.

ADDENDUM: I spoke to another MX Master user and he has the same issue under Windows. Under macOS everything seems to work fine for him, he says. Could mouse event handling differences between OSes be a factor here?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-26-2017 at 03:19 PM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
And it doesn't work in Reaper! While in Actions List the HorizWheel can be perfectly assigned to any mousewheel/relative action, when you actually try and use the wheel, nothing at all happens.
Hmm... ALT+MouseWheel works here for Zoom Horizontally using the MX or am I misreading? Using the scroll button by my thumb on the side correct?

On a side note my SetPoint app still shows it as the Performance MX not Master MX (I'm sure I flaked on updating if there is a new version) so I wonder if that is related?
Old 05-27-2017, 12:18 AM   #3
EvilDragon

So you're using SetPoint? I thought I can only use Options with MX Master... (EDIT: Just tried installing SetPoint... it doesn't work - says that SetPoint doesn't support all Logitech devices connected to my system and prompts to install Options!) OK so you don't have MX Master then.

Here's what I get when using Alt+horizontal wheel (which is recognized as Ctrl+Alt+Mousewheel by Reaper), and regular scroll (a bit later in the vid). It's erratic as fuck :/

(I used LiceCap and recorded as LCF, so drop it in Reaper for previewing.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...FA4TkZubTZmWmc

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-27-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
karbomusic

I have the MX Master mouse (it's printed on underside of mouse) but must not have installed the software this time around. I just checked and the MX Performance entry in SetPoint is for the previous MX performance mouse I repurposed. I'm a MX fan, I have a few and I still have one of the originals going back to the mid-2000s which still works!

I can probably check more tomorrow.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-27-2017 at 01:25 AM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Bumpity
Old 05-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Bumpity
So you don't think it's due to the MX Master software since I have the exact same mouse, it works but I don't have the software? It appears I'm using the mouse as-is. Not that this is the fix, but more about root cause.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
EvilDragon

I am honestly not sure. It might be the Logi Options software, but as mentioned, I can't use Setpoint with it at all here.

I just wanna know why Reaper's actions list recognizes the HorizWheel message from MX Master (when I have it set to send HW message instead of "zoom in/out"), but then does absolutely nothing when I actually assign HorizWheel to something.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
I am honestly not sure. It might be the Logi Options software, but as mentioned, I can't use Setpoint with it at all here.
No worries, I only asked because I was unsure if you picked up on, or if I mentioned that my previous SetPoint comment was wrong, I have it installed from using previous MX Performance but SetPoint isn't seeing or affecting the Master at all.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
EvilDragon

I guess not a lot of Reaper folks are using MX Master on Windows and noticing these things...?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
introvert

I'm guessing this is an OS or Logitech driver issue.

Horizontal scroll works for me in Mac OS, and in Reaper. It does not work for me normally in Windows. I did fire up Reaper on my Windows machine and it doesn't appear to be working there either, even with the Logitech drivers installed.

I'm on Windows 10 for whatever it's worth
introvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
I guess not a lot of Reaper folks are using MX Master on Windows and noticing these things...?
Did you ever remove the Logitech master software/driver as a test? Remember, mine works just fine concerning your issue but I don't have any of the management software installed other than the unifying software which is also likely outdate here. :P I know for a fact, I'm using the MX Master, I'm a Logitech freak for the MX series - I have like 5 of them, Master is fairly new to my collection.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
EvilDragon

Well... that was bloody stupid.

Removing Logitech Options WORKED. So they're definitely doing something strange there...

Sadly I am then losing my other per-application settings in this case (for example, horizontal wheel doesn't at all work in Photoshop, Word or Excel then). And the wheel is in reverse. And wheel sensitivity is too much.

Argh.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:12 AM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Well... that was bloody stupid.

Removing Logitech Options WORKED. So they're definitely doing something strange there...

Sadly I am then losing my other per-application settings in this case (for example, horizontal wheel doesn't at all work in Photoshop, Word or Excel then). And the wheel is in reverse. And wheel sensitivity is too much.

Argh.
Well at least we know more.