Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #1
tpulse
Human being with feelings

Default Faderport , faderport8 or icon platform m

I'm about to order a motorized daw controller.
Question is which one of these??
Faderport , faderport8 or icon platform m
It's hard to decide 😊
tpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:30 AM   #2
MacFizz

Well, for me faderport8 is a bit expensive, faderport is an old product but works very well and Icon Platform M is a bit newer with options available.
Honestly, those products are very different and you should probably try to make a list of what you require, what you'd want and match it with each hardware specs.
Probably not really helping, but depending on how you work a faderport can be a super usefull product and very compact.
Personaly, if I had the budget I'd probably go for the Icon...
MacFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
Geoff Waddington

I personally would stay away from the Platform M.

The Platform D LCD display that you will need to make the Platform M into anything remotely useful does not line up with the Platform M tracks display correctly.

You heard me right -- they messed that one up totally despite input from me and others during early development.

I've also heard of build quality issues, cheap parts, etc., go google that if you wish.

The Icon QCon Pro X looks like a really good product, although i have not used one, and it is expensive and large.

Switching to Presonus, I wrote the drivers for the original Faderport unit 10 years ago, so the whole Faderport thing, although still very good, is getting a bit long in the tooth.

The new Faderport 8 is getting very good reviews, that would appear to be the best option, IMHO, unless you are really cramped for space.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Switching to Presonus, I wrote the drivers for the original Faderport unit 10 years ago, so the whole Faderport thing, although still very good, is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Out of curiosity, did you write the one for Presonus or the csurf support in Reaper which I and others eventually expanded? AKA what is now FaderportXT which has come a long way over the last few years.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ht=faderportxt

To the OP, if you don't need 8 faders, the original Faderport with the XT driver is outstanding since it allows assigning most buttons to actions etc. However, I agree with Geoff that the hardware unit itself has been around awhile so I don't know how much longer it will be around. The driver isn't going anywhere (especially since I have a faderport and the code is OSS) but it is an aging piece of hardware at this point.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Out of curiosity, did you write the one for Presonus or the csurf support in Reaper which I and others eventually expanded? AKA what is now FaderportXT which has come a long way over the last few years.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ht=faderportxt

To the OP, if you don't need 8 faders, the original Faderport with the XT driver is outstanding since it allows assigning most buttons to actions etc. However, I agree with Geoff that the hardware unit itself has been around awhile so I don't know how much longer it will be around. The driver isn't going anywhere (especially since I have a faderport and the code is OSS) but it is an aging piece of hardware at this point.
Sorry for the hijack.

It was one of those sub-sub-sub-contract deals.

Presonus contracted the firmware and software development for the Faderport to a company in Snohomish just north of Seattle, called SaneWave.

They also had a Vancouver, B.C. office.

I was contracted through the Vancouver office->Snohomish office->Presonus to do the computer side software, they did the Faderport firmware in Vancouver/Snohomish.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #6
karbomusic

Ah, gotcha!
Old 06-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
tpulse

Quote:
I personally would stay away from the Platform M.

The Platform D LCD display that you will need to make the Platform M into anything remotely useful does not line up with the Platform M tracks display correctly.

You heard me right -- they messed that one up totally despite input from me and others during early development.

I've also heard of build quality issues, cheap parts, etc., go google that if you wish.

The Icon QCon Pro X looks like a really good product, although i have not used one, and it is expensive and large.

The new Faderport 8 is getting very good reviews, that would appear to be the best option, IMHO, unless you are really cramped for space.
Thanks for answering, and all of you also ��.
I didn't know the quality of icon platform was that bad.. well then it may be the Faderport 8 instead, i did find a used/tested faderport for 120 euro..but its nicer with more faders and i got space for the faderport 8 but not for bigger ones for now... ��
Old 06-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
MacFizz

Quote:
Unbelievable, such a bummer !!!
So, on my side I'm stuck on waiting for the faderport mk2 (if it'll ever come out).

I've never recovered from the untimely death of my alphatrack...
MacFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
Twangothan

Got my Faderport on ebay for a decent price and I'm really pleased with it.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #10
tpulse

I got my faderport8, a damn nice unit to look at but i'm gonna test it tomorrow.
I read a little in the manual that in studio one you can change the scribble strip view, is this possible in reaper???
Old 06-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #11
G-Sun

Faderport is old, but:
One fader is usually what you need (less mess)
and it's one of the best supported controllers for Reaper
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:21 AM   #12
tpulse

Ok. The newer one seem to be good also. More faders more control, ofcourse the mess comes also around that. I've to learn this, been doing everything with mouse and keyboard since now :P

Anyone got some tips & trix to share when using control surface like this??
Old 06-17-2017, 03:58 AM   #13
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulse View Post
Ok. The newer one seem to be good also. More faders more control, ofcourse the mess comes also around that. I've to learn this, been doing everything with mouse and keyboard since now :P

Anyone got some tips & trix to share when using control surface like this??
First the obvious step 1 -- pick the standard Mackie Control Universal, NOT the Presonus Faderport, and don't forget to configure MIDI, but hey you already knew that

I just had a quick look at the front panel and here's my guesses:

The transport and faders should work out of the box.

The Pan and Record arm will likely work on the selected channel, depending on how they implemented those functions internally, I'm guessing they got this right and it will work out of the box.

Some of the other functions like Solo clear and Mute clear will likely not work out of the box.

As you may know there is an open source project just firing up that will address these issues : http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

In the meantime, have a look at Klinke's plugin, it should get you most of the way there.

On the ergo side, make sure you put it within easy reach, not awkward reach.

If you've never used a controller before, to get proficient you must practice using it, like an instrument. I've seen WAY too many posts where someone gets a controller, uses it for a day, and gives up in frustration. their bad !

Once you get proficient you will sail effortlessly through the tasks the controller does well, leaving more brain time for musical/production creativity.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:46 AM   #14
tpulse

Quote:
First the obvious step 1 -- pick the standard Mackie Control Universal, NOT the Presonus Faderport, and don't forget to configure MIDI, but hey you already knew that

I just had a quick look at the front panel and here's my guesses:

The transport and faders should work out of the box.

The Pan and Record arm will likely work on the selected channel, depending on how they implemented those functions internally, I'm guessing they got this right and it will work out of the box.

Some of the other functions like Solo clear and Mute clear will likely not work out of the box.

As you may know there is an open source project just firing up that will address these issues : http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

In the meantime, have a look at Klinke's plugin, it should get you most of the way there.

On the ergo side, make sure you put it within easy reach, not awkward reach.

If you've never used a controller before, to get proficient you must practice using it, like an instrument. I've seen WAY too many posts where someone gets a controller, uses it for a day, and gives up in frustration. their bad !

Once you get proficient you will sail effortlessly through the tasks the controller does well, leaving more brain time for musical/production creativity.
I tried so much things that i'm a bit lost
Things i like to have with this is to have faders armed all the time so the faders move ( automation) and then "latch" when needed,
Selecting channels with the jogwheel and you can see in the mixer that also.. that simple kind of stuff.. not sure if that works but for now i've having fun with it..there may be lot of things you can do with it. Im not giving up, its been fun and im gonna learn to handle this so i can give more time to produce music in the future.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #15
tpulse

What things works with klinke plugin ??

Last edited by tpulse; 06-17-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:44 AM   #16
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulse View Post
What things works with klinke plugin ??
Klinke's plugin provides some help with the custom mappings you mention in the previous post (jog wheel, etc., although that one might be tricky).

Just google "reaper klinke"