Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #81
Knob Twiddler
Human being with feelings

Please develloper(s) of Reaper, we are 2016 and allmost all other DAW's have midifeedback. I come from Cubase and midi feedback is the only feature I miss (but so hard).
Knob Twiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:52 AM   #82
saastara

Sooo...... Generic midi feedback? Maybe as a Christmas present for 2016....? Pretty please?
saastara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:23 AM   #83
mccrabney

helgoboss realearn might tackle this in the future.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #84
saastara

I'm still at a complete loss WHY this hasn't been implemented. If it's something to do with the basic engine of Reaper or something like that, I could live with that.. But after hundreds of people nagging about it for years, as it is such a basic feature in every other daw, It'd be nice to hear something from the devs other than utter silence. Or if I have missed something, I'd appreciate a link.

And yes, I do realise that osc is technically superior and Reaper's developement seems more like a intriguing science project than a basic daw, but still.. Generic midi feedback combIned with Reaper's custom actions would open up some seriously cool workflow possibilities, without the need of computer wiz skillset.. Of course getting into and mastering osc is always a possibility, but I think I'm not the only one who just wants to make and mix music, and feels the urge to bash one's head through the keyboard each time they try to make some sense of the whole osc consept, with or without using 3rd party softwares, routers, converter software etc.

But, I remember seeing this same type of nagging for over 6 years..And I think I've posted something along these same lines one's or twice.. So I think I should just accept that we are not getting native midi feedback in Reaper, and move along.. But hey, one can dream, right?
saastara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:42 PM   #85
Deny777

The lack of MIDI feedback in Reaper is the only thing keeping me from buying a Behringer X-Touch Compact.

If Cockos implements this, new control surfaces can be added as profiles, without the need for writing new drivers. It's the smartest thing to do with control surfaces, why this isn't available yet is beyond me.

Just please don't do it half assed, here's the least that needs to be supported:

1. Reaper source (fader, pan, mute, ...)
2. State (continuous, on/off, multi-state, ...)
3. Type of message (note on/off, CC, PCH, SysEx, ...)
4. Message Param #1 (note number, CC#, PCH#, ...)
5. Message Param #2 (CC value/CC range/note velocity, ...)

It's interesting to note that MC is a very limited solution and to me, next to useless as far as flexibility goes. It's just something for people who want plug and play functionality, but with device profiles that can be saved as YAML, XML or JSON files Cockos don't even have to worry about coming up with profiles for new devices as the community will easily take care of that.

Now just as an example, suppose you want to control both Reaper and your RME TotalMix with your shiny new control surface, then what? There's no possibility of customization on the MC side so chances are, even if you somehow manage to get both working, changes in Reaper can potentially trigger unwanted changes in TotalMix and vice versa.

If you go the MIDI route you lose motorized fader automation on the devices that have it.

So please, give us MIDI feedback ASAP. I promise I'll come up with some badass mappings for the devices I own and share them with other users.
Deny777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:03 PM   #86
mschnell

Did you try OSCII-Bot ? -> http://www.cockos.com/oscii-bot/

AFAIK, same can convert OSC <-> Midi in both directions and can be configured to handle any controller, and the desired behavior of same.

IMHO, using such add-on software allows for much more flexibility, and hence makes more sense than bloating Reaper by yet another complex feature, only to be used in certain special cases.

Hopefully configuration files compatible with the controller in question are available.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-20-2016 at 05:49 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #87
airon

I don't know how that stuff works.

Maybe I'll have time to dive in to this, but more likely that I can't take the time.

*shrug*

Bitwig and Live have good scripting support for this stuff. Is OSCII-bot even comparable in features?

Is it well integrated in to Reaper ?

Easy to install ?

Easy to install scripts from other folks ?

The first, I do not know. The other three, no. That's the current state for me.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #88
mschnell

"Well" and "easy" always is a point of view.
-Michael
Old 10-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #89
airon

It's tough to do well.

With Lua and Eel it took effort, but so far I have yet to grasp how Oscii-bot works. No intro for beginners.

Giving regular users the chance to setup midi feedback has yet to happen. Despite all that the average user can do, this is way too hard to be of use to me, so far.

Lua/Eel was beginner friendly by comparison. Almost anybody can write a script that fires off a bunch of actions. There is plenty of source code and help in the forum.

Setting up midi control resources that include a feedback capability is an idea that has yet to catch on with our esteemed devs.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:25 AM   #90
mschnell

I did not need or play with this, but I am rather sure that configuration files for certain controllers are available for OSCII-Bot. If none fit's for the controller in question, tweaking same should not be that hard.

Posting this as a question in the forums, instead of a feature request for modifying Reaper itself, might yield more success.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-21-2016 at 08:58 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #91
airon

True.

Worth a search at least.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:11 AM   #92
Texxas_Boy

Default Just posted this question on facebook

Getting Midi Controller LED's to match Reaper Transport???

I've mapped my Midi Controller Transport controls to Reaper. I've also set the LED's on my Midi Controller to toggle "ON" for Play,Record, Pause and Toggle Repeat. This way when I press play on my controller the light comes on in Reaper's Transport as well as my controller. The problem is when I press Stop Reaper's transport Indicator turns off but my controllers LED remains on. I couldn't find much info on how to correct this. Is this possible?

Crazy to see how old this post is. Any changes i should know about?
Texxas_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #93
zvukofor

Bump for this very, very actual feature request.

Users cannot use modern controllers to their full possibilities, be it Liine Lemur, BCR2000, Novation, or Midi Fighter Twister...it is just shame in 2017, this is the big reason for not using Reaper live with synths and FX.

Justin, please, this FR is a very actual one, especially when we cannot have feedback for any FX via OSC too, even when using "n/track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@/value" pattern!
zvukofor is offline   Reply With Quote