COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 12-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Unregistered

Talking Feature Idea - Track Search Query

Scenario: I want to buy the cheapest of a type of item on Newegg, say a 2TB HDD. I don't necessarily care about the brand or model, but I want one when it drops below a price threshold, say $85.

When I'm on Newegg, I make the Power Search I need to show me what I'm looking for. Here is a link to this example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...alue=353:13499

As you can see right now, 27 results are returned. I could add each one of these to track, but I think it'd be cool just to track the power search query itself.

Or, perhaps, from the search results link I could paste that in to the site and have it process/parse all of the items. (less desirable since I'd have to manage each of the items)

Thanks!
-joeg

Old 12-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
Dan
up here in my tree

This could be something that falls under the "monitor Amazon wishlists and track products accordingly" project, but I can't promise anything at the moment.

Perhaps allowing people to track groups of products would work, too? Say, you choose the products and then set one desired price for all of them. But then you end up with a bunch of price watches, on some level...
Old 05-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
cmarkn
Human being with feelings

Lightbulb Define Groups in a List

1. Now, when I track a book at Amazon, I can get three types: the Amazon, other New and other Used prices; all on the same page and graph. Many books have both hard and soft cover versions, and an ebook as well. Suppose I were to select all three of those items in my "Products You Are Watching" list and pushed the "Group" button at the top of the list. Now, magically, all those items would be linked together and all show on the same graph. No reason why that would have to be the same book, of course, that's just my example. It could just as easily be different brands of 3 TB HDDs or different makers of strappy sandals.

2. I have a pretty long list of items I'm watching now, and it's painfully slow to page through to find something to delete after I've bought it. I really, really need the ability to search my list.

3. Also, in the same area, instead of showing boxes to go forward ten pages or to the last page:
Showing page of 30 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29 30 Next » [<- page numbers]
do this the way Amazon does a multipage shopping cart:
<< Previous 1-10 11-20 21-30 Next >> [<- item numbers, not page numbers.]
This would be much easier to navigate.
[Edit] Oops, I mixed the page numbers and item numbers.

4. It's unexpectedly difficult to work with all three types of sellers.
For instance, see
http://camelcamelcamel.com/track/154...4cb7b616472282
From here, I should be able to find the other sellers easily, but they're nowhere to be found. Perhaps this should be an account setting, so that when importing a book, you'd import either only the sellers selected, assuming all three types as the dafault.

5. How hard would it be to add Condition as part of the watch? Most of the time, I'm not real picky about the condition, but sometimes I want a new or like new book. But I get the alert when there's an Acceptable copy. It's not a big deal, only a little bother, but, you know, if you run out of things to do....

Last edited by cmarkn; 05-07-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
miker
Human being with feelings

With the current structure, I'd like to see one product in the first column and however many "sellers" prices in the second column. That is, if you want new, used or store price. I almost always have at least two prices, so I now have the product twice. I had also asked a year ago for a field where we could write in notes (for example, I buy mostly DVDs and it would be very useful to know how many DVDs are in a set when I look at the price). I thought that would be added too.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Dan
up here in my tree

Good feedback / requests guys. I'm on vacation at the moment, but will post a full response when I get back to the office. I just didn't want you to think I'm ignoring the forum until then!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarkn View Post
1. Now, when I track a book at Amazon, I can get three types: the Amazon, other New and other Used prices; all on the same page and graph. Many books have both hard and soft cover versions, and an ebook as well. Suppose I were to select all three of those items in my "Products You Are Watching" list and pushed the "Group" button at the top of the list. Now, magically, all those items would be linked together and all show on the same graph. No reason why that would have to be the same book, of course, that's just my example. It could just as easily be different brands of 3 TB HDDs or different makers of strappy sandals.

2. I have a pretty long list of items I'm watching now, and it's painfully slow to page through to find something to delete after I've bought it. I really, really need the ability to search my list.

3. Also, in the same area, instead of showing boxes to go forward ten pages or to the last page:
Showing page of 30 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29 30 Next » [<- page numbers]
do this the way Amazon does a multipage shopping cart:
<< Previous 1-10 11-20 21-30 Next >> [<- item numbers, not page numbers.]
This would be much easier to navigate.
[Edit] Oops, I mixed the page numbers and item numbers.

4. It's unexpectedly difficult to work with all three types of sellers.
For instance, see
http://camelcamelcamel.com/track/154...4cb7b616472282
From here, I should be able to find the other sellers easily, but they're nowhere to be found. Perhaps this should be an account setting, so that when importing a book, you'd import either only the sellers selected, assuming all three types as the dafault.

5. How hard would it be to add Condition as part of the watch? Most of the time, I'm not real picky about the condition, but sometimes I want a new or like new book. But I get the alert when there's an Acceptable copy. It's not a big deal, only a little bother, but, you know, if you run out of things to do....
1. I like the idea of being able to show different product / price type combinations on one chart.
2. We should definitely have search in the My Products list, and will likely become one of our primary to-do items.
3. Item numbers do seem more user friendly. I'll bring it up with Ben and Nithya and see what they think.
4. My assumption there was that users tracking a specific price type would want the price watch page to focus on that price type, but perhaps I was wrong about removing the other data entirely. Another thing to discuss with the team. I don't see any problem with changing that.
5. It may prove somewhat difficult, as each price type / condition combination could be considered its own price type, if that makes sense. An alternative to tracking every combination would be to simply record the condition of the offer with the current lowest price (which is what we now collect) and generate alerts based on that. It wouldn't be perfect, but maybe better than nothing?

Thanks for the feedback. You've got a lot of good ideas here.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker View Post
With the current structure, I'd like to see one product in the first column and however many "sellers" prices in the second column. That is, if you want new, used or store price. I almost always have at least two prices, so I now have the product twice. I had also asked a year ago for a field where we could write in notes (for example, I buy mostly DVDs and it would be very useful to know how many DVDs are in a set when I look at the price). I thought that would be added too.
This column structure would run afoul of our other columns, and adding rows inside each of those (desired / current prices, difference, etc) for each "seller" could end being kind of confusing. What do you think?

We do actually have the notes field in our database, but haven't added any UI to edit that. Maybe I'll task Ben with adding it; sorry about the wait, a year is quite a while =/