Old 12-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #81
Nineofkings
Human being with feelings

I used Vodp too! Glad to hear it's been updated. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting your page to load. Are these in the Reaper Stash?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:59 AM   #82
Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineofkings View Post
I used Vodp too! Glad to hear it's been updated. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting your page to load. Are these in the Reaper Stash?
That's strange, it should work? Perhaps there has been some temporal difficulties. I haven't put them into stash, unfortunately. But let me know if your trouble continues.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:25 AM   #83
witti

Hi Anomaly ! Discovered a bug with your 5.1 Master Limiter.
When trying to add more track channels from the plugin pin connector (or simply just opening the plugin pin connector ?) reaper will crash.

witti
witti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #84
Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by witti View Post
Hi Anomaly ! Discovered a bug with your 5.1 Master Limiter.
When trying to add more track channels from the plugin pin connector (or simply just opening the plugin pin connector ?) reaper will crash.

witti
Hmm, I encountered some strange crackling and buzzing sound when opened the pin connector. I think there is a bug with JSFX in_pin & out_pin functions. Actually there has been problems with them as long as I can remember. Most probably your crashing problem should go away if you delete in_pin & out_pin assignments from the code? If you can confirm this, I suppose it's better to avoid using them for time being.

Oh, and to be on sure side, do you have the absolute latest build of the limiter?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #85
witti

Indeed, when removing the in and out pins from the code the bug has gone.
But what is the difference ? Your 5.1 compressor is working fine.
It's also not version dependant. The version before had the same problems...

Edit: For sure there are/were some problems with assigning in and out pins to plugins. The ozzifier plugin comes to my mind, which was not recalling it's pins in saved fx chains, when adding the pins to the code. Have to test it again. I also know that in the past that there were huge crackling problems with js plugins with more than two chanels, e.g. sidechain channels, when opening the plugin pin connector, but everything is working smoothly since quite some time and i have not encountered any strange behavior since then.

Last edited by witti; 12-19-2014 at 02:14 PM.
witti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:31 AM   #86
Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by witti View Post
Indeed, when removing the in and out pins from the code the bug has gone.
But what is the difference ? Your 5.1 compressor is working fine.
It's also not version dependant. The version before had the same problems...
The difference between 5.1 compressor and limiter is that the compressor doesn't use pdc delay compensation. That seems to be the trigger that makes i/o pin assignments to crap out => crash.
Currently I don't know any other way to fix this but delete the pins from code.
I'll be putting an updated version online soon.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #87
babag

i love your stuff, anomaly. coincides very nicely with my own needs.

i was looking at skope and it displays an issue i've generally had with js analysis plugs. it wipes the screen when playback stops. is there a way to have the last display remain on screen until playback is resumed/restarted?

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #88
Garrick

Great stuff.
I just noticed your project cleaner, can't wait to try it out. Thank you
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:16 AM   #89
Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
i love your stuff, anomaly. coincides very nicely with my own needs.

i was looking at skope and it displays an issue i've generally had with js analysis plugs. it wipes the screen when playback stops. is there a way to have the last display remain on screen until playback is resumed/restarted?

thanks,
BabaG
This will happen if you have selected "Live input" mode in Skope. Using "Free" mode should keep the screen intact... But if this not the case I'm guessing it could be due to some setting in reaper config? I just tested with vanilla reaper and the screen doesn't wipe out when stopping playback.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #90
babag

hmmm. not the way it's working here. all modes wipe the display on playback stop. live input doesn't but, since nothing's coming in when stopped, as the screen redraws it replaces the display with blank content. no idea what reaper setting might affect this. i'd assumed it was in the scripting of the plug.

BabaG
Old 01-03-2015, 01:37 AM   #91
Anomaly

Quote:
hmmm. not the way it's working here. all modes wipe the display on playback stop. live input doesn't but, since nothing's coming in when stopped, as the screen redraws it replaces the display with blank content. no idea what reaper setting might affect this. i'd assumed it was in the scripting of the plug.

BabaG
I would have guessed it was related to "Run FX when stopped" setting in reaper preferences, but apparently not. I'm sorry but I have no other suggestions at the moment. If other JS are behaving similarly, it should be some system wide issue.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #92
Steven Jay Cohen

Default VOLA-EX-M for Audiobook Narration

Thank you Anomaly for writing VOLA-EX. I am testing to see if I can use it for mastering Audio Books.

When I deliver files, I need the RMS to be between -18 and -23. My peaks must not exceed -3. And, my noise floor needs to be at or below -60.

My peaks on input are currently hovering around -9.

I put VOLA-EX-M on the end of the chain with the settings shown in the attached image. And, though you can see that I technically hit my marks, I am wondering if I can adjust some of these other settings to make VOLA-EX a bit more transparent.

Chapters can be 30-90 minutes long. I would like to make the volume changes as subtle as possible. And, I would like to apply as little compression as possible.

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 9.47.48 AM.jpg (44.3 KB, 292 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 9.52.03 AM.png (60.6 KB, 295 views)

AudioTechnica AT4047/SV • Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) • Debian Stable/Testing
Steven Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #93
Steven Jay Cohen

Default VOLA-EX Clarifications

*** Max Reaction Time scales the rms leveller maximum reaction time 1 - 10 seconds. The actual reaction time is being controlled by input signal. It also affects the limiter speed slightly. ***

If I am trying to make the changes as gentle as possible should I be cranking this one up?

*** Pre-Leveller Headroom adjusts the max headroom of the input signal that enters the RMS leveller. Basically it is a limiter that limits peaks x dB above input RMS. ***

Though I have some occasional spikes, typically, I am peaking at about -9. So would I be setting this value to 9 or something else?

*** Ctrl + LMB will activate EBU R128 compatible preset. ***

Is that CTRL + Left Mouse Button?

AudioTechnica AT4047/SV • Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) • Debian Stable/Testing
Old 02-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #94
Anomaly

Greetings, Steven.

I would suggest you put peak target to -3dBfs or lower (-6 could work fine). Longer Max reaction time gives you smoother response, so use as long as possible. There is disadvantage that the leveler can't react to sudden peaks as fast. So limiter may need to catch more of them. Usually this is not a problem in terms of transparency.

Pre leveler headroom will help leveler to be more steady. But too small headroom will lead to audible compression. Default value of 10dB is recommended. Can be higher if your source material is already stable. It should be judged by ears. This is not to be confused to input peak value.

Yes ctrl + left mouse button will call the preset.

I have another kind of leveler prototype on my drawer. Would you be interested in trying it? It can be very transparent and effective at the same time.

Last edited by Anomaly; 02-12-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #95
Steven Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
I have another kind of leveler prototype on my drawer. Would you be interested in trying it? It can be very transparent and effective at the same time.
Absolutely! And, would you be interested in being interviewed for my blog? Many voiceover people will be interested in things like VOLA-EX.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #96
Steven Jay Cohen

Quote:
Pre leveler headroom will help leveler to be more steady. But too small headroom will lead to audible compression. Default value of 10dB is recommended. Can be higher if your source material is already stable. It should be judged by ears. This is not to be confused to input peak value.
This was my problem! I completely misinterpreted this setting! Thank you for the clarification.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #97
Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Jay Cohen View Post
Absolutely! And, would you be interested in being interviewed for my blog? Many voiceover people will be interested in things like VOLA-EX.
I just sent you a private message for details.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #98
dts350z

Default Master 5.1 limiter in Reaplugs

Hi,

I'm trying to use the master 5.1 limiter in Reaplugs in another host.

I get an error at line 126.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
dts350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #99
babag

Default 5.1 panner question

been playing with the 5.1 panner and really like it but have a couple of questions. maybe you can help me.

from what i've been able to tell, unlike reasurround, which gives separate inputs for stereo, this surround panner displays the input as a single source. changing the 'input width' slider either spreads or narrows this input. in the case of a stereo input file, at 100%, i seem to get the L channel from the input file when the panner is on the L side of the display and the R side of the input file when the panner is on the R side of the display. setting the 'input width' to 0% seems to collapse the stereo into a mono source with both input channels being routed to the position displayed in the panner. do i have that right?

here's a scenario i'd like help with: how would i position a stereo input file such that the L of the input file comes from the Front R and the R of the input file comes from the Surround R? in other words, i'd like to be able to swing the stereo image from the front to the side. is this possible with this panner? didn't see how since, in my short test, the L was always on the L and the R always on the R.

i hope these kinds of things are possible as i love the ease of use of this panner. much simpler than reasurround for me.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 07-24-2015, 01:53 AM   #100
Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dts350z View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to use the master 5.1 limiter in Reaplugs in another host.

I get an error at line 126.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
I'm sorry I missed your post.
I don't have any other VST hosts installed except Reaper. But I tested running ReaJS -> 5.1 limiter in Reaper and it seems to be working ok. Though ReaJS supports only 2 channels.

The reference to line 126 doesn't make sense either. I'm sorry to say but currently I don't have a clue about this.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:29 AM   #101
Anomaly

Quote:
been playing with the 5.1 panner and really like it but have a couple of questions. maybe you can help me.

from what i've been able to tell, unlike reasurround, which gives separate inputs for stereo, this surround panner displays the input as a single source. changing the 'input width' slider either spreads or narrows this input. in the case of a stereo input file, at 100%, i seem to get the L channel from the input file when the panner is on the L side of the display and the R side of the input file when the panner is on the R side of the display. setting the 'input width' to 0% seems to collapse the stereo into a mono source with both input channels being routed to the position displayed in the panner. do i have that right?

Greetings,

You are correct with your assumptions. Basically what you want to achieve would need one of these features:

A: A rotation control for incoming audio.
B: Two separately controlled channels.

Considering the concept of this plugin, option A would suit better to it. But it would also increase complexity of the code. My original intent was to make mono -> 5.1 panner, but I thought a basic stereo compatibility would be a necessity. Adding a rotation control might be possible though, once I get my head around the technical side of it. But for now there is only one workaround using 2 separated mixer channels. One for L and one for R and then pan them independently.

I have updated Surround Pan. There was a problem that in some cases stereo width = 0 caused no audio output.

Cheers
Old 07-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #102
babag

would be wonderful to see a little more development on the panner. what you suggest sounds great. i'm completely on board with giving the concepts a little time to soak in, too. the simplicity and intuitive nature of this panner is definitely something to preserve moving forward.

when i first started playing with the controls i thought that the 'offset' sliders might affect the l/r inputs but, of course, they don't. i was thinking that maybe the L channel could be offset such that it was po0sitioned to the R and vice versa. i mention this in relation to the intuitiveness of the interface. that was something i intuitively went to.

an additional graphic element indicating l/r input position might be helpful, too.

if the panner had these abilities it would be my 'go-to' surround tool. for creating sound effects environments i find i often use multiple instances of things like ambient stereo background sounds panned in scenarios like:

FX 1
L input ---> Ls
R input ---> Lf

FX 2
L input ---> Rs
R input ---> Rf

obviously, there are a lot more combinations but this is pretty common for me.

lastly, i'd consider retaining this plugin as a simple version and having a newer version that includes these kinds of features as a separate plugin. not sure about this but i do appreciate the simplicity of this version and think it might be attractive to keep it as the other features develop.

hope this helps and, again, i love this tool.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 09-27-2015, 03:04 AM   #103
Anomaly

I'd like to announce that I have couple of fx updates on my site:

- 5.1 Master Limiter MK2 released
- Surround Pan updated

If you notice any problems, please let me know.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #104
babag

great! what are the updates to the surround panner?

thanks,
BabaG
Old 09-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #105
Anomaly

Quote:
great! what are the updates to the surround panner?

thanks,
BabaG
There are some alternatives to center channel behavior. Here is the description I posted to my site:

Added two new center channel behavior modes:

"Separate With LR Compensation" means that when you inject LR sum into the center channel, it will compensate gain on the L & R channels to keep the loudness equal.

"Include In Pan [L..C..R]" is the old behavior when center channel is included into the surround panner.

"Include In Pan [..LCR..]" is the new behavior. It means that whole front signal is being equally distributed into the L, C and R channels.

I understand this may sound a bit messy, but I'm sure it becomes quite clear once tried.

Cheers
Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #106
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
I'd like to announce that I have couple of fx updates on my site:

- 5.1 Master Limiter MK2 released
- Surround Pan updated

If you notice any problems, please let me know.
Great stuff Anomaly.

VOLA and VOLA-EX are now two of my most used plugins. I know they were primarily designed for voice levelling (and I use them for that on radio, TV and video work) but I have found a ton of other uses for them on everything from bass to synths and guitars.
I have all of your plugins and use many of them quite often too.

Keep up the great work. Many of these are better than many commercial plugins, particularly VOLA. If you have an option for donation, I'd be happy to offer you something to show a little appreciation too.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #107
Steven Jay Cohen

I agree. The VOLA plugins are fantastic.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #108
JHughes
Banned

I love the bassprofessor!
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #109
Anomaly

Thanks guys!
I'm glad to hear you have found a good use for them.
Unfortunately I can't accept donations, but that is not really required. You can send me a link if you have used them in recordings

Last edited by Anomaly; 10-30-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:14 AM   #110
Anomaly

Hello all,

I have updated my site. Some new stuff available, JSFX & VST plugins...
Old 10-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #111
crimsonmerry

Wohoo! Definitely will give them a serious try. Thanks!
crimsonmerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #112
vitalker

Wow! You're awesome and Your plugins too! I use VOLA almost always.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #113
JHughes
Banned

Hey Anomaly, how about packaging all your effects into one zip file?
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #114
timothys_monster

Thank you so much for the continuous work on the plugins and the VST formats
I really appreciate it!
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #115
Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Hey Anomaly, how about packaging all your effects into one zip file?
That would be cool, but it causes extra complexity when updating just single plugin. Workaround would be automated packaging by server. I'll think about it.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:39 AM   #116
vanhaze

Thank you so much for these incredible plugins, highly appreciated !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #117
derek.john.evans

Well done Anomaly! I'm totally chuffed by all the work you have done helping to debug Jeez.

Just a thought. If there are any Mac OSX VST developers who are interested in getting Jeez closer to supporting the Mac, maybe you could attempt to recompile the Jeez C++ output on Mac and tell me what code needs to be edited.

I don't think there would need to be many changes. Mainly the DLL entrance functions in output.cpp

I guess it depends on how many people would like to use JS effects in other DAW's on the Mac.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:24 AM   #118
Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek.john.evans View Post
Well done Anomaly! I'm totally chuffed by all the work you have done helping to debug Jeez.

Just a thought. If there are any Mac OSX VST developers who are interested in getting Jeez closer to supporting the Mac, maybe you could attempt to recompile the Jeez C++ output on Mac and tell me what code needs to be edited.

I don't think there would need to be many changes. Mainly the DLL entrance functions in output.cpp

I guess it depends on how many people would like to use JS effects in other DAW's on the Mac.
Thanks, Derek

It would be great if some Mac developer chimed in. I think OSX support would be a necessary asset. I think jeez could be in some ways to be compared to other "plugin generators" like flowstone and synthedit. Except that instead of graphical gui, you create the plugin with a scripting language.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #119
wtwilli

Default Bass Professor

Just tried your Bass Professor on a track that had given me some trouble. Very nice! It seems to have removed some harshness where I had frequency build up and helped the bass be out of the way without losing it in the mix. I assume that it is primarily a multi-band compressor. Can you share the general frequencies used in the 4 bands of the leveler so that I can understand better what is going on? Great job.
wtwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #120
Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwilli View Post
Just tried your Bass Professor on a track that had given me some trouble. Very nice! It seems to have removed some harshness where I had frequency build up and helped the bass be out of the way without losing it in the mix. I assume that it is primarily a multi-band compressor. Can you share the general frequencies used in the 4 bands of the leveler so that I can understand better what is going on? Great job.
The lowest band has a lpf frequency of 80Hz, lo mid 220Hz, hi mid 1600 Hz
In addition to the leveler, the crossover network actually introduces really badass phase shifting, which is partially responsible for what this plugin sounds.