Old 02-17-2016, 03:41 AM   #1
Roger Vanduffel
Human being with feelings

Default selecting multiple take envelopes

Hi all

I've got this vocal track filled with different items and different takes, and have been de-essing manually.
My problem is this; I could select all takes at once and select 'take volume'. Then went ahead and did the de-essing. After this I wanted to hide the take volume envelopes to make everything look a little neater. Apparently, if you then de-tick take volumes, reaper bypasses the volume cuts I made. Then I found that you can hide item envelopes through the 'take envelopes'-menu. But the problem here is, and that's my main question, I could only select 'take envelopes' take (or item) by take. Not the entire selection, consisting of multiple items. Why is this? Or is there something I'm missing?
Also I don't really want to bounce everything to one item.

thanks in advance!
Roger Vanduffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #2
Roger Vanduffel

Any one?
Old 02-20-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
Roger Vanduffel

Someone must have an answer to this?
Old 02-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
uncleswede

If you have the SWS extension installed (if you don't, install it!) then the action "SWS/S&M: Hide take volume envelopes" will hide the take volume envelopes of all selected takes in one go. You can bind this action to a key shortcut of your choice, of course.
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Roger Vanduffel

Alright! I was delaying the install untill I would found something where it could be usefull. Here it is!

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
Megagoth1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Vanduffel View Post
Alright! I was delaying the install untill I would found something where it could be usefull. Here it is!

Thanks for your help!
You will find SWS to be VERY useful.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #7
tagomagomyeggo

Default wait...

I'm confused as to how this solved the problem. I'm here because I had this problem as well (especially since I don't always want to see the altered peak, instead of that of the original wav, but do not want to use the track envelope for a variety of reasons), and I had tried exactly this solution already, but it doesn't work. Which is to say, "SWS/S&M: Hide take volume envelopes" hides it but DOES ignore changes made to the volume, and reverts to the original levels once that envelope is hidden. As opposed to selecting the envelope and hiding it via "Envelope: toggle hide/ display selected envelope" (either via a right click chain or a created shortcut) which works but must be done by clicking on each envelope at a time. Creating a custom action including "select all items/ takes/ envelopes" does not work, as it actually ignores take envelopes (versus track envelopes).
So is this really impossible, or is there some sort of routing thing I need to set it up to make it work as described above?
Thanks! I am new to Reaper and have spent a week tweaking and adjusting...no deal breakers remain, but there are a few things disappointingly untweakable for my workflow, and this is one. Since Roger Vanduffel seemed happy where he ended up, I thought I'd see if I was missing something...
Andy
tagomagomyeggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #8
hopi

so let's say you have all those takes on one track...
try this
make another track above it, make that a folder that contain the track with the takes...
put your vol envelope on the folder track
that way it will control the vol of the takes track but will not part of those tracks...

sws hide show maybe all you need however..
Old 06-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #9
tagomagomyeggo

I tried it, thanks. That is interesting to know about but does not quite do what I need, which is essentially to a) avoid track envelopes and b) select every take envelope at once (for the purposes of hiding without SWS, because that also hides the volume/pan/whatever changes that the envelope makes). I'm just used to Cool Edit/ Audition where envelopes are a) take only and b) can all be easily toggled on and off. I tried using the track envelopes, in both the automation lanes and the media lanes, but it doesn't work for me. So I guess this is it. I can still hide them with them staying active, it just has to be one at a time, as this thread originally addressed. Even if there are a few things I gotta do differently it's still nice I was able to customize so much (like change the big, clumsy cursors blocking the view when you move an envelope point! Not to mention many many other behaviors and design points). Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #10
tagomagomyeggo

I might also note, on the subject, that setting "fader scaling" as default does *not* apply to take envelopes. That must be applied through a right click chain for each and every one...take envelopes are kind of the bastard stepchild of Reaper, I guess...

EDIT: Ah--I was using a shortcut assigned to an SWS action, which I suppose bypasses that preference. That makes sense, I guess! There's one victory...

Last edited by tagomagomyeggo; 06-12-2017 at 07:21 PM.