Old 04-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #121
Glacierise
Human being with feelings
 
Glacierise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Posts: 24
Default

I've learned so much from these. Huge thanks!
__________________
Hristo Velev
Glacierise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #122
studer58
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
What does everyone else think?

The New Way

vs.

The Old Way
Since the video list is growing, and each is relatively specific, I can see a point where the original list is going to fill the home page with text. This can look messy, although I don't mind that...if it's also combined with sensible sub-grouping then it can more quickly direct viewers to the area they seek advice for.

I can see the advantages of both layouts, but at this stage I prefer the old way...though I can see evolution is necessary !

A context sensitive search function, along the lines of "what do you want to do in Reaper" would help vastly, as it would narrow down search options for each user.
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:10 AM   #123
europa_man
Human being with feelings
 
europa_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Musquodoboit Harbour, Nova Scotia
Posts: 178
Default The New Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Since the video list is growing, and each is relatively specific, I can see a point where the original list is going to fill the home page with text. This can look messy, although I don't mind that...if it's also combined with sensible sub-grouping then it can more quickly direct viewers to the area they seek advice for.

I can see the advantages of both layouts, but at this stage I prefer the old way...though I can see evolution is necessary !

A context sensitive search function, along the lines of "what do you want to do in Reaper" would help vastly, as it would narrow down search options for each user.
First of all - I don't even want to think about where I'd be without your videos for the past few years. They have been invaluable to me. I'm actually teaching other friends on how to use the software.

I like the new layout but as mentioned by others with a super Search engine to locate videos using key words.

I've always been in awe of how you have organized the subject matter to date.
Great work!

Regards,
Eric
__________________
Everything I Need to Know about Reaper, I Learned from Kenny Gioia.

Last edited by europa_man; 04-28-2017 at 05:38 PM.
europa_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:07 AM   #124
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa_man View Post
First of all - I don't even want to think about where I'd be without your videos for the past few years. They have been invaluable to me. I'm actually teaching other friends on how to use the software.

I like the new layout but as mentioned by others with a super Search engine to locate videos but key words.

I've always been in awe of how you have organized the subject matter to date.
Great work!

Regards,
Eric
Thank you. The goal of the new layout was to add a search option but I couldn't figure it out. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I would love it to be like REAPER's filter where you can type and video would filter to just those words.

The new page just makes it easier to keep things updated as I don't have to do anything besides upload it all to youtube and add the video to a playlist that it applies to.

I appreciate the fact that you think it's organized. It really is hard to figure out what video should go where. If anyone has any suggestions for making it better, I would love to hear them. More categories? Less? Different categories? etc

Thanks
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #125
europa_man
Human being with feelings
 
europa_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Musquodoboit Harbour, Nova Scotia
Posts: 178
Default Video Organization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Thank you. The goal of the new layout was to add a search option but I couldn't figure it out. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I would love it to be like REAPER's filter where you can type and video would filter to just those words.

The new page just makes it easier to keep things updated as I don't have to do anything besides upload it all to youtube and add the video to a playlist that it applies to.

I appreciate the fact that you think it's organized. It really is hard to figure out what video should go where. If anyone has any suggestions for making it better, I would love to hear them. More categories? Less? Different categories? etc

Thanks
Hi Kenny,

Here are a few suggestions. I really like when you number the videos.
The Reaper 5 series could be used as the umbrella to organize the other videos you've made.
If you could "link" the same subject matter together with the Reaper 5 series, the other videos of the same or similar topics could be contained or linked in a sub-folder.
For example #5 is Recording Audio. All the recording videos would be linked to the #5 video. You could number each video starting with 5001, 5002, 5003 etc.

Stretch Markers is #20. All stretch marker videos would be in a sub-folder and numbered 2001, 2002, 2203 etc.
Midi - # 24 - Midi videos would be 2401, 2402, 2403 etc.
All videos organized under the main Reaper series in sub-folders by topic.
Each video with it's own distinctive number.

Just my thoughts.

Eric
__________________
Everything I Need to Know about Reaper, I Learned from Kenny Gioia.
europa_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #126
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa_man View Post
Hi Kenny,

Here are a few suggestions. I really like when you number the videos.
The Reaper 5 series could be used as the umbrella to organize the other videos you've made.
If you could "link" the same subject matter together with the Reaper 5 series, the other videos of the same or similar topics could be contained or linked in a sub-folder.
For example #5 is Recording Audio. All the recording videos would be linked to the #5 video. You could number each video starting with 5001, 5002, 5003 etc.

Stretch Markers is #20. All stretch marker videos would be in a sub-folder and numbered 2001, 2002, 2203 etc.
Midi - # 24 - Midi videos would be 2401, 2402, 2403 etc.
All videos organized under the main Reaper series in sub-folders by topic.
Each video with it's own distinctive number.

Just my thoughts.

Eric
It's not a bad idea but many of the videos don't fit under those topics.

And now instead of 8 or 9 categories I would have 30.

I would love to create fewer categories (4 or 5) and have 4 or 5 sub-categories under each. Like an owner's manual might have.

It's also complicated as I make new ones. I tend to make videos from varying points instead of from an organized place.

But I appreciate the input and will consider it.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #127
Robert Randolph
Human being with feelings
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 409
Default

It is looking better but the buttons on the top do nothing. Is that intentional?
__________________
http://www.admiralbumblebee.com
Audio/DAW stuff, Woodworking, Programming and more... new posts twice a week or more.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #128
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
It is looking better but the buttons on the top do nothing. Is that intentional?
Sorry. It's a work in progress.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #129
easton1
Human being with feelings
 
easton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 16
Default Troubleshooting...

Kenny, your videos are great. But Reaper is a little like trying to learn to read and write with Chinese characters. There are some 6000 of them, each of which has a different meaning and function within different contexts.OF course once you learn them all, you're a Son of Heaven or Master of the Universe, or whatever passes for either these days.

I'm a newbie with Reaper and having a hell of a time-an old dog trying to learn all these new tricks so I can get on with turning all my previously published novels into audiobooks.

I'm findng it's real easy to mess up a vital project file, and if one sets Reaper to open on the last project, Reaper cannot open. Is there any way to hold down a key to open the program to it's defaults? Because then it would be easy to fix once one has access to the program. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't reset any config files already on the hard drive. The Cockos webmaster responded to that question with some vague instructions which I haven't been able to implement and I'm at my wit's end about what to do so I can get back to work on my different projects.
easton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:18 AM   #130
Coachz
Human being with feelings
 
Coachz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 4,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton1 View Post
Kenny, your videos are great. But Reaper is a little like trying to learn to read and write with Chinese characters. There are some 6000 of them, each of which has a different meaning and function within different contexts.OF course once you learn them all, you're a Son of Heaven or Master of the Universe, or whatever passes for either these days.

I'm a newbie with Reaper and having a hell of a time-an old dog trying to learn all these new tricks so I can get on with turning all my previously published novels into audiobooks.

I'm findng it's real easy to mess up a vital project file, and if one sets Reaper to open on the last project, Reaper cannot open. Is there any way to hold down a key to open the program to it's defaults? Because then it would be easy to fix once one has access to the program. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't reset any config files already on the hard drive. The Cockos webmaster responded to that question with some vague instructions which I haven't been able to implement and I'm at my wit's end about what to do so I can get back to work on my different projects.
Try ctrl+shift when opening reaper
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #131
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
It is looking better but the buttons on the top do nothing. Is that intentional?
Took some fiddling but see if you like this:

REAPER Videos

It's a bit of the New way and the Old way.

Thanks
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #132
triton60
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
Default

Hi Kenny,

I just visited your site and got the following prompt (noscript plugin) in firefox. I wouldn't have normally bothered you with it but noticed it referred to localhost:8088/test and thought it might be a link you left in from testing?

Thanks for all the videos and help through the years.

Andrew.
Attached Images
File Type: png kennymania.png (49.8 KB, 29 views)
triton60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:11 AM   #133
Robert Randolph
Human being with feelings
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Took some fiddling but see if you like this:

REAPER Videos

It's a bit of the New way and the Old way.

Thanks
It is an improvement over both ways. Great work and thank you!

I actually just noticed a few video that I didnt see as well.
__________________
http://www.admiralbumblebee.com
Audio/DAW stuff, Woodworking, Programming and more... new posts twice a week or more.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #134
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton60 View Post
Hi Kenny,

I just visited your site and got the following prompt (noscript plugin) in firefox. I wouldn't have normally bothered you with it but noticed it referred to localhost:8088/test and thought it might be a link you left in from testing?

Thanks for all the videos and help through the years.

Andrew.
I think I was working on it at the time.

Do you still see it?
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #135
Pet
Human being with feelings
 
Pet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Took some fiddling but see if you like this:

REAPER Videos

It's a bit of the New way and the Old way.

Thanks
It's PERFECT, thanks!
__________________
If the v5 Default Theme is too bright for you take a gander at my mod of it: Default v5 Dark Theme
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #136
triton60
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I think I was working on it at the time.

Do you still see it?
Hi Kenny,

Sorry for the delay, I have been away from the computer so couldn't test the page for you.

I am still seeing the message. I will send you a pm because I inspected the page and found the line which I think is causing the warning.

Thanks,

Andrew Branch.

Last edited by triton60; 05-11-2017 at 12:22 PM.
triton60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:43 AM   #137
flipotto
Human being with feelings
 
flipotto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Thank you.

Probably in the next week I will be doing a video on how I treat my voiceover in my tutorials. Hopefully that will cover everything you need.

Thanks again.

Kenny
Hey Kenny, The quote is from back in Feb 2017

I am very interested to see how you treat your voice in the tutorials, it is very smooth and I can't hear anything in the background. I don't hear any gating or ducking and when you are talking I don't hear any noise... are you in an anechoic chamber?
Please share this info... I do tutorials for my audio production course and need to clean things up for next year, August.

Thanks for all you do, I have learned so much from you.
__________________
KeyMce/GenMce - pc keyboard/midi to Mackie control emulation (built with ahk). Also - an ahk script to build your own midi programs.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #138
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipotto View Post
Hey Kenny, The quote is from back in Feb 2017

I am very interested to see how you treat your voice in the tutorials, it is very smooth and I can't hear anything in the background. I don't hear any gating or ducking and when you are talking I don't hear any noise... are you in an anechoic chamber?
Please share this info... I do tutorials for my audio production course and need to clean things up for next year, August.

Thanks for all you do, I have learned so much from you.
It keeps getting bumped from the list but this one should be done next week.

Sorry for the delay.

No echo chamber at all. If you're in a rush, watch what I did in the ReaFir video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31phzT7pxkk&t=2s

I start by Dynamically Splitting everything. Then I add ReaFir, a bunch of compressors and some EQ.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.