Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 03-31-2017, 11:15 PM   #1
mikeroephonics
Human being with feelings

Default Any Studiologic (SL-990 XP/Pro) users here?

I just got a used Studiologic SL-990 XP yesterday. Yes, in March of 2017. I'm thinking about opening it up and/or possibly returning it as there are a few problems with the unit.

Problem 1.)
I was playing three very specific notes, which when playing all at the same time, the keyboard sends many many 'note_on' messages to its MIDI output. I'm talking absurd amounts around 512th notes. I thought it was Omnisphere at first then noticed the MIDI input monitor in REAPER lighting up like a Christmas tree. I've only found one combination of notes which do this, but I'm sure I'll encounter more.

Is this some sort of logical error in the mainboard or (hopefully) a dirty contact on the velocity board which I can easily clean? I've never experienced this kind of thing before in any keyboard.

Problem 2.)
Its pitchbend wheel doesn't exactly center when let go from a bend-up gesture. It sends what appears to be a value of +0 (whatever that means) in REAPER's MIDI Editor Event List. I haven't noticed any out-of-tune sounds when this occurs but I haven't tested it in further detail. When I move it down, then slowly back up, it centers properly and doesn't send pitchbend messages afterwards.

Does anybody know if the potentiometers in the pitchbend and modwheel enclosures can be replaced, and if so, exactly which (quality) make/model would work?

Thanks!

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 04-01-2017 at 12:00 AM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
mikeroephonics
Human being with feelings

Problem 3.)
2.) If I hold a very specific set of notes (F4, G7, G#7), it very very rapidly sends 'note_on' messages for the *A7* immediately above the G#7. Cool trick, huh? I thought so!

I just returned the Studiologic SL-990 XP to Guitar Center. It's really too bad. I love its action but the glitchy notes simply cannot be tolerated. It makes the entire thing useless. The sales rep at the store was truly baffled when we hooked its MIDI output into a Roland Juno DS88 to confirm my claim that it sent out a "ghost" A7 as described above.

I might just have to bite the bullet and buy a Kawai MP7. The MP11 is too much for what I need, which is just a controller with a nice keybed, pitchbend and modwheel.

The search goes on...