Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-23-2017, 02:22 AM   #1
Benny Harwood
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper & OSX dock constantly crash .... Please Help! Desperate!!

I've developed a constant crash that occurs after reaper is open for a few minutes and am attempting to work regardless of playback/stop or plugin tweaks etc...... after many forum searches and 4 days down i'm here!

It seems when reaper crashes i can see OSX Dock crash at similar times..??
i've hit a roadblock of understanding Crash reports which are both attached below.

Strangely i was having a crash last week related to right clicking a plugin and sorted this by removing some re wire corrupted files..

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated!!
Brain Capacity and vibe are at an all time low...

Thanks very graciously in advance
,benny
Attached Files
File Type: pdf REAPER_2017-05-23-175711_Mac-10.pdf (236.7 KB, 314 views)
File Type: pdf com.apple.dock.extra_2017-05-22-225414_Mac-10.pdf (94.3 KB, 432 views)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:31 AM   #2
rangerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Harwood View Post
I've developed a constant crash that occurs after reaper is open for a few minutes and am attempting to work regardless of playback/stop or plugin tweaks etc...... after many forum searches and 4 days down i'm here!

It seems when reaper crashes i can see OSX Dock crash at similar times..??
i've hit a roadblock of understanding Crash reports which are both attached below.

Strangely i was having a crash last week related to right clicking a plugin and sorted this by removing some re wire corrupted files..

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated!!
Brain Capacity and vibe are at an all time low...

Thanks very graciously in advance
,benny
i wondering if some of your issues can be USB related, i use 3 hubs and re arranged the plugs until (for now) things work, my issues midi interface disconnects, so try unpluging all usb at first
rangerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #3
Benny Harwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerx View Post
i wondering if some of your issues can be USB related, i use 3 hubs and re arranged the plugs until (for now) things work, my issues midi interface disconnects, so try unpluging all usb at first
Thats a very good point, the antelope orion is on usb and has been nothing but trouble since bought, also running a MCU pro only other usb is ILOK.

I remember doing similar usb slot moves with the ilok and orion quite some time ago

I'l run some test's tomorrow

Thanks rangerx
Old 05-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
rangerx

Quote:
Thats a very good point, the antelope orion is on usb and has been nothing but trouble since bought, also running a MCU pro only other usb is ILOK.

I remember doing similar usb slot moves with the ilok and orion quite some time ago

I'l run some test's tomorrow

Thanks rangerx
one more thought about icon on dock , i didnt read all the posts, is reaper in you application folder on system disk , if not maybe as the system when it loads it can't find reaper for that reason
Old 05-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
Benny Harwood

Quote:
one more thought about icon on dock , i didnt read all the posts, is reaper in you application folder on system disk , if not maybe as the system when it loads it can't find reaper for that reason
Yep reaper is in the applications folder, but I'm getting a separate crash report for the dock as well as reaper when reaper abruptly quits/crash's

Interestingly both crash thread 0
Old 05-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
rangerx

Quote:
Yep reaper is in the applications folder, but I'm getting a separate crash report for the dock as well as reaper when reaper abruptly quits/crash's

Interestingly both crash thread 0
try the reverse put reaper on another drive dont have to delete the original

another thought create an alias and drop that on the dock

also check in info (right click on app )of reaper for the read and write option

Last edited by rangerx; 05-23-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Could be some bad RAM in your system maybe?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:22 AM   #8
Benny Harwood

Default Update!

So as per rangerx & Justin 's suggestions i tested -

-the whole system without any USB connections
-also running reaper app from non system Drives
- checked r-w info
-alias app name
unfortunately this made no difference
I also Did system Ram tests and all ram was functioning as far as i could tell.

Is there anyone out there that is good with reading OSX crash reports???

it seems thread 0 crashes every time??

,b
Old 05-25-2017, 03:32 AM   #9
rangerx

Quote:
So as per rangerx & Justin 's suggestions i tested -

-the whole system without any USB connections
-also running reaper app from non system Drives
- checked r-w info
-alias app name
unfortunately this made no difference
I also Did system Ram tests and all ram was functioning as far as i could tell.

Is there anyone out there that is good with reading OSX crash reports???

it seems thread 0 crashes every time??

,b
your osx is 10.8.5 maybe time to go up yosemite if you can
Old 05-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
shanabit

Your threads ALL point to Reaper. If the guy who actually writes the Reaper app can't tell ya I can't either. I think its time for an OS update.

Try taking the RAM out and re seating it as well. Most times the memory testers won't show anything. I don't think its your RAM though

Have you done a Disk Permissions Repair yet under Apps/Utilities? I would start there. If that doesn't sort ya I would trash the Reaper Preferences file

Last edited by shanabit; 05-26-2017 at 02:39 PM.
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
serr

A few comments:

The premise of a bug in OSX 10.8 that was later fixed in 10.10 sounds like a wild guess. What specific bug? Is this a known reported thing?

Was this scenario there from day 1 after a clean install of 10.8? If the answer is "no" then the root cause is something else.

---

Run a ram test in a loop overnight. If it makes it through that, your ram is good.

---

I'd boot from a system backup clone or an older known system if there is any question with the current system. Rule out that variable that way.
If no backups were ever made/kept, you should start so you save hours/days of downtime next time. Ultimately you can clone your system to another drive volume (identical and bootable) or disk image file (not directly bootable until put back in a volume) for a backup and then do a clean install to your main system drive to test a clean system with no mystery variables.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #12
Benny Harwood

Quote:
your osx is 10.8.5 maybe time to go up yosemite if you can
It is time indeed , I was hanging on to 10.8.5 as there was some plugs I didint want to loose and some unfinished projects I didn't want to jeopardise yet..... but you are right it is time to go up a few numbers again

Thanks, b
Old 05-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #13
Benny Harwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Your threads ALL point to Reaper. If the guy who actually writes the Reaper app can't tell ya I can't either. I think its time for an OS update.

Try taking the RAM out and re seating it as well. Most times the memory testers won't show anything. I don't think its your RAM though

Have you done a Disk Permissions Repair yet under Apps/Utilities? I would start there. If that doesn't sort ya I would trash the Reaper Preferences file

Hey shanabit, I'm more than happy to be told! , I hope my tone didn't make it seem any other way 👍🏼
It's definitely time to go up to Yosemite .... I was just holding onto the past out of fear as 10.8 was serving me well..

Thanks for your suggestions, I didn't use any ram testers yet just checked in system profiler etc,
i'l reseat the ram asap

I do run disk permissions repair daily and whenever a big file or apps are moved or deleted,
But would you kindly be able to point me in the direction of the reaper pref file, is it a .plist file ?

Thanks again mate, b
Old 05-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #14
Benny Harwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
A few comments:

The premise of a bug in OSX 10.8 that was later fixed in 10.10 sounds like a wild guess. What specific bug? Is this a known reported thing?

Was this scenario there from day 1 after a clean install of 10.8? If the answer is "no" then the root cause is something else.

---

Run a ram test in a loop overnight. If it makes it through that, your ram is good.

---

I'd boot from a system backup clone or an older known system if there is any question with the current system. Rule out that variable that way.
If no backups were ever made/kept, you should start so you save hours/days of downtime next time. Ultimately you can clone your system to another drive volume (identical and bootable) or disk image file (not directly bootable until put back in a volume) for a backup and then do a clean install to your main system drive to test a clean system with no mystery variables.
Hey serr,
These are all great points, pardon the ignorance but what would be the best way to run a ram test in loop?
Would I use something like memtest? Or is there a better option ?

Interestingly this problem only arose recently and wasn't there from clean install, I run pretty big sessions and am spitting stuff out through a console and outboard as well as having pretty detailed grouping going on in reaper and high channel counts, so system is running hard a lot of the mixingtime ,

I have clones of the system but not recent enough to a-b properly, I will endeavour to do them more regularly as that seems like the answer to all these types of probs..

Thanks for your help mate
Old 05-30-2017, 08:48 PM   #15
Benny Harwood

Default Solved for now!

Quick update ...So as per shanabits suggestion, trashing the reaper preferences files (.ini) has solved the constant crashing of reaper .

Simply trashed the pref file deleted then re installed reaper then imported my configuration zip

Thanks to all that commented !

All suggestions have been taken on board