Old 06-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Sven
Human being with feelings

Default Slave master BPM to incoming MIDI clock

Make it possible to slave the master BPM of Reaper to incoming MIDI clock.
Also make it possible to record incoming MIDI clock as tempo markers.
Make it possible to ignore all messages regarding absolute position (position pointers) and use Reaper as a reel to reel tape machine (no time stretching of audio, just record tempo) that just records the audio as well as the tempo, but keeps all VST delays and VST instruments in sync while doing so.
Great for everyone mainly using Reaper as a multi-channel recording device and using external gear such as synths and drum machines to play and jam during a recording session.
Also great for later editing when everything is then synced up to bars and beats so that splicing and cutting is made easy.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
EvilDragon

Reaper can already slave to MTC, SPP or LTC. Right-click the play button in the transport!
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Sven

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Reaper can already slave to MTC, SPP or LTC. Right-click the play button in the transport!
Yes that's right, but I have not found any way of just syncing the BPM without the absolute time code position part.
If I play a beat from a drum machine and stop the beat or change the beat to a different one I do not want this to affect the position of the playback cursor.
So I do not want Reaper to be locked in sync with my synth or drum machine, I just want the master BPM on the transport bar to be in sync with incoming MIDI clock and every time the BPM changes I want Reaper to record these changes by dropping a tempo marker.
This way Reaper can be used just as a tape recorder that do not interact with the audio or MIDI stream, it just records it but with the added benefit that all VST delays are in sync, it is possible to do overdubs with new MIDI synths and keep them in sync with the original tempo and it is easy to make cuts at even bars and beats.

I have not found this functionality in Reaper.
Do you know if it is already possible to do this somehow?
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Travesty

+1 I've needed this, to sync reaper to Maschine standalone and other things.
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote