Old 06-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
zachostwalt
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper tracks suddenly out of sync

Greetings all, I have used reaper for two projects now, and had time alignment issues on both. During my first project I had tracked drums, bass, and mandolin. One day, I opened one of the sessions to work on it, and all of the tracks seemed to be playing at slightly different tempos. All of the playrate sliders had been set to one before tracking started, and i hadn't moved them, but all of my tracks, even the metronome, weren't playing evenly. I had to scrap the song.

Recently, I started a second reaper project, and tracked drums for a handful of songs. All of the playback sliders had been set to 1 during tracking and had remained there since. Once again, after saving the projects, with the drums perfectly aligned to a click, i opened the session for one song up and the tempos were no longer correct. During one section of the song, all of the drum tracks had double timed, so they were all still time aligned but playing twice as fast as they had been recorded. But the outro, which was recorded separately, plays back perfectly at the recorded tempo. I know for a fact that i didn't change any settings or preferences, and DID NOT adjust my playrate sliders. Has anyone else encountered these kinds of problems, and does anyone have a solution?

I am using a 2015 macbook pro with osx el capitan version 10.11.16 and reaper 64bit. I am interfacing with a presonus studiolive ai
zachostwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Noobi

I have no answers for you, just one comment: computers are bastards
Noobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
Nip

As you describe it this was recording sessions om multiple tracks at one time - like a band?

Meaning if one audio item on all tracks that is equally long?
What is recorded should then be on disk as it arrived in computer and could be picked up and entered into a fresh Reaper project.

Sample rates 44k or 48k - or higher like 96k or 192k?
How many tracks?
What audio interface?

Thinking how much a laptop disk really can handle.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:19 AM   #4
Noobi

By the way, I had one track out of sync yesterday. No idea why, but I re-recorded it and same problem. Re-RE-recorded it again into a new track and it was still out but not as bad. A few minutes later it was back in sync

Yea, I know

All I can really think of in ypur situation would be tempo bpm (just under the grid recordings (middle) which may have somehow been adjusted and/or the pitch which is next to that but if they're all different then this rules those out.

Have you edited (as in, copied and pasted, or cut) any of these tracks?
Noobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:36 AM   #5
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobi View Post
By the way, I had one track out of sync yesterday. No idea why, but I re-recorded it and same problem. Re-RE-recorded it again into a new track and it was still out but not as bad. A few minutes later it was back in sync

Yea, I know

All I can really think of in ypur situation would be tempo bpm (just under the grid recordings (middle) which may have somehow been adjusted and/or the pitch which is next to that but if they're all different then this rules those out.

Have you edited (as in, copied and pasted, or cut) any of these tracks?
Weird how that happends.

As you mentioned - if audio is Beat anchored it will stretch if any tempo changes. And if many clips can give strange results.

So see to that clips are time anchored, so no resampling occur.

But think that F2 taking properties should reveal if resampled as status in lower part of dialog.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:07 AM   #6
somebodyelseuk

Had similar issue years ago. to do with using latency compensation during tracking... or not, can't remember which.

That's the area I would look at, though.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:22 AM   #7
uncleswede

A couple of questions...

Are the playrates on all the recorded items set to 1.00 still? If not are you inadvertently using alt-drag to trim item edges (which changes playrate)?

Is there a varying tempo envelope on your master track, maybe there as part of your default project template?
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote