Old 08-21-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
Hans Henrik Schjerbeck
Human being with feelings

Default Zoom R16 as controller for Reaper

I just bought Zoom R16. Does anybody know how to confiqurate this as a controller with Reaper?

Thanks.

Hans
Hans Henrik Schjerbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
studer58

Hi Hans,

I'm in the same position as you...did you ever get Reaper to work with the R16 ? I've had a lot of trouble in configuring it as a working control surface.
Ray
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Jae.Thomas

what OS?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
studer58

Windows XP Professional 32 bit
Old 11-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Jae.Thomas

i have the zoom but currently it isnt compatible in that way with windows 7 x64 yet, so i have no advice to give

maybe it will show up in your midi devices?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Doodad

Default Zoom R16 Help

I guess I'm in the same boat as everyone else who bought the Zoom R16. I need help in setting it up to work as an interface and control surface. I'm using Windows XP.

UPDATE:

I got my ZOOM R16 last Thursday. I spent most of Saturday trying to configure it to work in interface and control surface mode. Nothing seemed to work. I even thought about sending it back for credit. This mornimg I called SamsonTech and spoke with a support technician who is somewhat familiar with REAPER. I explained the steps I had taken. He walked me through the setup and now everything works. YIPPEEEEE!!!!!

Last edited by Doodad; 02-01-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Doodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 AM   #7
Fearless Undead Machines

cool. what'd you do that finally worked?
Fearless Undead Machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Doodad

Default Zoom R16

Ok. Here's what I did with help from the support staff at SamsonTech.

1. Connect R16 to wall outlet with power adapter.
2. Turned on R16 with On/Off switch.
3. Turned on my laptop.
4. After computer finished booting up, connect R16 to my laptop via USB.
5. Started REAPER software.

At this point, I have done nothing but connect everything and turn on each device. The R16 display says "PRJ 000 PRJ000" and below this is the clock which has not been set up yet. The upper right hand corner of the R16 display says "RECORDER".

6. On the R16, press USB. The R16 display now says USB 1/3. Below that is says >AUDIO INTERFACE.
7. Press ENTER. The R16 display now says AUDIO INTERFACE. Below that it says "ENTER?"
8. Press ENTER. The R16 display now says SETTING? Below that it says [CONTINUE] RESET. The upper right hand corner now says AUDIO INTERFACE.
9. Press ENTER. The R16 display now shows SAMPLE RATE=44.1kHZ. Below that it says S:Solo. In the upper right hand corner it says "AUDIO INTERFACE".

You should be connected at this time. YOU MAY NEED TO RE-BOOT REAPER AT THIS TIME.

Once REAPER has re-booted:
10. Go to Options and select Preferences.
11. In the REAPER Preferences window (left hand side) select Audio Device.
12. Audio system should be "ASIO".
13. ASIO Driver: Select ZOOM R16 ASIO Driver.
14. Enable inputs box should be checked. Under that "first" should say "1: Input channel. "last" should say 8: Input channel.
15. Output range should say: first 1: Output channel. Last 2utput channel.
16. On the left hand side of the window scroll down and select "Control Surfaces".
17. In the Control surfaces window click "ADD". This brings up a window entitled "Control Surface Settings". Click the drop down arrow and select "Mackie Control Universal". Click "OK" and this window goes away and you go back to the Control surfaces window. Now it shows Mackie Control (dev 0,1).
18. Highlight Mackie Control (dev 0,1) and select "EDIT". This brings up the Control Surface Settings window. The Control surface mode should say Mackie Control Universal. MIDI input should say ZOOM R16. MIDI output should also say ZOOM R16. Select OK. This takes you back to the Control surfaces window. Select OK.

At this time I have a window entitled "MIDI error". In this window it says; "The following MIDI inputs could not be opened: ZOOM R16." It also says; "The following MIDI outputs could not be opened: ZOOM R16." NOTE: I ASKED THE SUPPORT TECHNICIAN ABOUT THIS AND HE SAID HE DIDN'T KNOW WHY IT CAME UP. HE ALSO TOLD ME TO SELECT "OK". I DID.

19. In REAPER go to "Track" and select Insert New Track.
20. In the new track that was just added, select "ar" on the left hand side of the track window. Then where it says "Input channel" click on the drop down arrow. Put your cursor on "Mono Input". Then select the first input channel.

When I did all this I could use the fader for track one and for the Master. I went ahead and recorded something stupid just to see if everything works and it did. At this time I was able to use play, stop, record, rewind, on my R16. I could also use the same functions directly in the REAPER software.

I don't know about other R16 features yet, but I'm glad to know that this much is working. Now I need to learn how to use the software since I'm a newbie.

I know this is lengthy but I hope it helps.

By the way this seems to be a great and very informative forum. Keep up the good work folks.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
jemaliahz

Yeah, I've been testing this R16 as a Audio Interface and Controller. I started to use Asio4All drivers and I own Lexicon Omega also and with Asio4all I'm able to use both interfaces at same time. Basicly I get 2 stereo outputs and 12 inputs @ same time.

Latency is also much smaller with Asio4All Drivers. I'm able to use buffer size of 88.

Does anyone have idea how to configure F1-F5 keys @ R16 to use in Reaper? Sliders and playback controller works fine with mackie control emulation.
jemaliahz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:53 AM   #10
davidb_64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodad View Post

At this time I have a window entitled "MIDI error". In this window it says; "The following MIDI inputs could not be opened: ZOOM R16." It also says; "The following MIDI outputs could not be opened: ZOOM R16." NOTE: I ASKED THE SUPPORT TECHNICIAN ABOUT THIS AND HE SAID HE DIDN'T KNOW WHY IT CAME UP. HE ALSO TOLD ME TO SELECT "OK". I DID.

This could be, because you may have selected "ZOOM R16" as input or output in the midi-device-settings. Set it to "disabled", then restart Reaper and there should be no warning anymore.
davidb_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
studer58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaliahz View Post
Does anyone have idea how to configure F1-F5 keys @ R16 to use in Reaper? Sliders and playback controller works fine with mackie control emulation.
Just to bump this topic again...not even the guys in the Zoom R16 forum seem to have an answer !
Ray
Old 02-18-2011, 03:30 AM   #12
Al.

see here:
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Zoom_R16_R24
Al. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
studer58

Al. thanks for this guide, it should open up lots of 'mappability' for those F1 to F5 buttons on the R16 /R24. Is it important to now un-check the box "Map F1 to F8 to go to markers" command when setting up the Mackie Control Surface settings ? Your guide opens up a lot of possibilities for mapping functions to these F1 - F5 buttons, which up til now I've just used to hop from marker to marker, back and forwards (not really useful as the R16's >> and << keys do the same thing). Could you please give some advice about what sorts of functions you might typically attach to these keys, now the ability exists to map them in the Zoom (I'm a bit boggled by all the choice now available !) ?
Thanks again for clearing the path for us !
Ray
Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #14
JKy Baxter

Default Human being with feeling

Hi, I hate to ask the obvious, But isn't disabling the input not, well, disable REAPER from speaking to my Zoom R16 & vice versa? I've done all as above & only get a sound/monitor from the Zoom, (including EZdrummer). I know I'm doing something glaringly stupid, but it's all new to me. That error message is nippy, & when I finally got a recording down, when I played it back, it was out of sync with the drums. Could it be that, in fact, the Zoom R16, (forgive me), is just, well, Shit? Saw an interface in my local music shop & don't know whether or not if to buy it. Is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but have a niggling feeling I'm just gonna have the same problems?
I just want to record for posterity & to say to my friends, Listen to this! I hate computers but hope in time I can look back at the problems I'm experiencing & have a good chuckle. Human being with feeling, help another human being who's losing his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb_64 View Post
This could be, because you may have selected "ZOOM R16" as input or output in the midi-device-settings. Set it to "disabled", then restart Reaper and there should be no warning anymore.
JKy Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #15
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKy Baxter View Post
Hi, I hate to ask the obvious, But isn't disabling the input not, well, disable REAPER from speaking to my Zoom R16 & vice versa?
Note that it says to disable it as a MIDI device, not as an audio device. Also note that this thread concerns using the R16 as a control device, not as an audio interface. You definitely do want it to be set up as an audio device. Personally, I don't even bother using it as a control surface - I find it easier to just use the mouse and keyboard and keep the R16 on a separate table, where the only time I touch it is to plug and unplug devices, and to set the input gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKy Baxter View Post
Could it be that, in fact, the Zoom R16, (forgive me), is just, well, Shit?
I use my R16 as an audio interface, and have always gotten great results. I never have problems with syncing existing tracks with newly-recorded material, even when recording all eight inputs simultaneously.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #16
JKy Baxter

Default Genious

Human being with feelings, YOU'RE A GOD DAMNED GENIOUS. Wished I'd tried your suggestion before posting my last post. Thanks man. (just hope the recordings don't go out of sync again though, with EZy). Fingers crossed, I'm off. THANK YOU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb_64 View Post
JKy Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #17
MonoKulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Al. thanks for this guide, it should open up lots of 'mappability' for those F1 to F5 buttons on the R16 /R24. Is it important to now un-check the box "Map F1 to F8 to go to markers" command when setting up the Mackie Control Surface settings ? Your guide opens up a lot of possibilities for mapping functions to these F1 - F5 buttons, which up til now I've just used to hop from marker to marker, back and forwards (not really useful as the R16's >> and << keys do the same thing). Could you please give some advice about what sorts of functions you might typically attach to these keys, now the ability exists to map them in the Zoom (I'm a bit boggled by all the choice now available !) ?
Thanks again for clearing the path for us !
Ray
I mapped my R24's |<< and >>|(F3 and F4) to action "Markers: Go to previous marker/project start" and "Markers: Go to next marker/project end", respectively

To do this I just went to the Actions list (shortcut:"?"), found and selected the relevant action. For example the first one above already has the keyboard shortcut = "[", you can keep that and add the Zoom |<< button.

In the Action List's "Shortcuts for selected action" box, just press "Add.." and press the key on the Zoom. The Shortcut should show some weird CC code. OK it and you are done. You can now use the keyboard or your Zoom to move to your markers.

I did not unmap anything else. The Zoom's F1 to F5 are not the same as your keyboard's.

Assign whatever you want to the other keys. To the A-B repeat button I assigned a custom action to make a time selection of the items I selected, turn repeat on and play from the start of the loop. But you can do whatever, that just fits for me. I don't think I've got around to assigning any others, I'll have to do that now!

Hope that helps.
MK
MonoKulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #18
studer58

Forgive me if this has been raised and/or resolved previously, but I'm seeking advice on using the R16 faders with Reaper.

When connected as a control surface/interface I find that moving a fader can often cause a rapid 'jump' in the Reaper equivalent fader, when it's touched again after an initial move.

I may make an adjustment (eg when writing automation) on one fader, move to another for adjustment, then return to the first one for a slight tweak in level. When re-commencing a fader move on the 'first' fader, it will often jump in level momentarily... and then settle down to the "new" level, thus ruining any smoothness to the write.

Has anybody here conquered this anomaly...I'm guessing it's due to the faders being non motorized, but if there was a way to reduce the range they cover might this be a possible workaround ?

In Reaper's Control Surface preferences there is an option to vary the “Control surface display
update frequency” from a default 15 Hz, but I haven't tried this yet....maybe an increased frequency could help ?

If you've experienced this or found a satisfactory solution, please share here !
Old 03-07-2017, 01:38 AM   #19
ivansc

Stab in the dark - this is likely because until you move the zoom fader, Reaper doesnt know where the zoom fader was initially.
So once it gets an indication from the zoom, it will immediately jump to that point as a starting place, then follow your movements on the fader.

Or I could be completely wrong, of course...
Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 AM   #20
studer58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Stab in the dark - this is likely because until you move the zoom fader, Reaper doesnt know where the zoom fader was initially.
So once it gets an indication from the zoom, it will immediately jump to that point as a starting place, then follow your movements on the fader.

Or I could be completely wrong, of course...
I think you're very likely right, but the 'second touch' on the fader can be as gentle as possible (no discernible movement)....and yet it still jumps several dB, like a startled rabbit. I just wish I could 'sedate' it a little....

In a post on the Zoom R16 forum, a reply from a tech at Samson (Zoom distributors in US) refers to the HD16 (but R16 is the same):

"Because the primary function of the HD16 isn't as a control surface, and because the faders are not motorized, it will jump when first used. This is because the HD16 recalls various projects and fader settings, so when the fader switches projects with a different setting, it recalls the current setting which will not be altered, until that particular fader is triggered. What this means is that if your DAW software is set for 100% fader level, and you connect the HD16 as a control surface with faders at 0%, the level will remain at 100% until you move that particular fader, where it will jump to whichever setting you move it to. However, there will not be latency as the changes you will make to the fader settings will react in real time"

Last edited by studer58; 03-07-2017 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:36 AM   #21
studer58

a redeeming aspect could be the Soft Takeover feature in Reaper, which I just found out about ?

I'm guessing it basically 'desensitizes' the R16 fader until it crosses the current resting state of the Reaper fader, whereupon it 'picks up' the movement, thus largely eliminating the 'jump' phenomenon.

It's perhaps easier to see it in action in this ReaperMania video from Kenny Gioia, if you fast forward to around 4:20.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaFnnaTKI_Q
Old 06-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #22
benr

Default R16 as Controller

I'm new to the forum and to Reaper-sorry if this question has been posed before and I'm simply unable to find it. My R16 works fine as an interface but not as a controller. I've gone to Preferences /Control Surfaces/Mackie Control Universal. My only choice of Midi inputs and outputs is "none." Is this the problem? If so, can someone offer a solution? If not, can someone offer a solution?
I'm using a Mac Airbook, Yosemite 10.10.5. I'm accustomed to making simple mistakes and figuring it out myself but have been beating my head against the wall for hours with this one. Thanks.
benr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #23
studer58

Quote:
Originally Posted by benr View Post
I'm new to the forum and to Reaper-sorry if this question has been posed before and I'm simply unable to find it. My R16 works fine as an interface but not as a controller. I've gone to Preferences /Control Surfaces/Mackie Control Universal. My only choice of Midi inputs and outputs is "none." Is this the problem? If so, can someone offer a solution? If not, can someone offer a solution?
I'm using a Mac Airbook, Yosemite 10.10.5. I'm accustomed to making simple mistakes and figuring it out myself but have been beating my head against the wall for hours with this one. Thanks.
Does this guide relate to your situation ? It is PC referenced but you should be able to adapt it for Macintosh: http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Zoom_R16_R24

Last edited by studer58; 06-17-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:59 AM   #24
benr

Thank you, studer58. I did see this and attempted to follow the installation steps. The problem is the 6th step:"set MIDI input/output to Zoom R16/24 Audio Interface." The R16 should show up in the pulldown menu but it's not there. I've tried deinstalling/reinstalling the R16 driver. Wondering if reinstalling Reaper would be helpful...maybe I didn't hook everything up in the proper order the first time causing some sort of problem.
benr is offline   Reply With Quote