Old 06-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #2041
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
Thanks. So it's not a native linux vst/so?
This zynaddsubfx version is a native linux vst with .so extension. Carla can also
host lv2 and ladspa plugins, so one who has some favorites in those formats,
can host a chain of them using Carla. I've just done a few, but the prospects
look good, as there are so many, and with a good variety.

In case I wasn't clear, the Carla version was itself a vst
hosted in Reaper, Carla 2:1.9.7+git20170520v5 according to synaptic,
part of the kxstudio repository.
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 06-21-2017 at 09:20 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #2042
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
I've ported the Scorchcrafter GUI over (not my GUI design btw).

It looks about the same on Windows, maybe a bit fugly but functional.
Looks good, right in the range of expected art and function.
Cheers
Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #2043
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Looks good, right in the range of expected art and function.
Cheers
It's up at https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/bl...rch-vst.so.zip if anyone is interested.

Short test https://soundcloud.com/aaabii/test

Distrho was used for the Mverb Windows vst to Linux vst port and it's pretty good for getting basic Windows vst GUI code over to Linux vst's.

http://distrho.sourceforge.net/plugins

http://distrho.sourceforge.net/ports

Last edited by osxmidi; 06-22-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #2044
nosucherror

Default Batch name convert linvst.so

Hi OSXMIDI,
could you talk me through how to run the batch name converter? I'm a bit confused by the readme and I'm getting a bit sick of copying/renaming every VST. I was gonna try out the Toneboosters plug-ins.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #2045
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosucherror View Post
Hi OSXMIDI,
could you talk me through how to run the batch name converter? I'm a bit confused by the readme and I'm getting a bit sick of copying/renaming every VST. I was gonna try out the Toneboosters plug-ins.
In the release there is linvst.so and lin-vst-server.exe and lin-vst-server.exe.so etc

linvst.so gets renamed to the windows vst name and lin-vst-server.exe and lin-vst-server.exe.so get placed in /usr/bin

In the convert folder there is linvstgtk3 (or linvstgtk2) which is a GUI renaming version.

Just run linvstgtk3 (should run by clicking on it) and hit the top button and then it wants to know where linvst.so is, so just search for it using the file chooser that pops up and once it's found just click on it and load it.

The second button wants to know the folder containing the windows dll's so just point it to the folder.

Then hit start and it will rename all of the windows dll's to their equivalent Linux names (ending with .so instead of .dll)

Then point Reaper to that folder and you should be able to load the windows vst's.

The commandline version needs to be copied to the windows dll folder and then run and it does the same thing as the GUI version.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #2046
nosucherror

Thank you OSXMIDI!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #2047
nosucherror

@OSXMIDI
When you say 'in the convert folder' do you mean the linvstconvertsrc.zip? When I extract that I don't find anything I can run. Am I missing something?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:47 AM   #2048
4duhwinnn

Quote:
It's up at https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/bl...rch-vst.so.zip if anyone is interested.

Short test https://soundcloud.com/aaabii/test

Distrho was used for the Mverb Windows vst to Linux vst port and it's pretty good for getting basic Windows vst GUI code over to Linux vst's.

http://distrho.sourceforge.net/plugins

http://distrho.sourceforge.net/ports
I've got this running (followed by the LaGrange granular modulation plugin),
with some decent headphones, and it's brilliant. The tones run the gamut,
with 9 channels leaving little to the imagination, knobs are fluid,
and the labels are accurate, not just generic.

I'm not a fan of 'this is all you'll need' type of statements,
but if someone wants ultra simplicity controlling a huge range of tone,
this is going to be very hard to beat. A kid just learning guitar,
could really concentrate on developing skills, without having
to figure out a complex gui. Someone who could interface this
with an FCB1010 or similar controller, would be in hawgheaven.
Thanks for sharing your work, and discoveries!

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 06-24-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #2049
nosucherror

@OSXMIDI

Forget my last post - I didn't have the latest linvst 1.02, I forgot to refresh my browser at GitHub. I see the 'convert' folder now. My apologies.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #2050
swindus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks, fixing for 5.50rc2c.
after removing the gtk+3 dev files and trying the new build (rc3) of Reaper I get this on a Reaper start:
reaper: symbol lookup error: ../REAPER/libSwell.so: undefined symbol: gdk_init_check

Installing the gtk+3 dev files again and Reaper is starting
Old 06-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #2051
nosucherror

Default LinVst no GUI

Hi OSXMIDI,
I'm having problems with LinVst, it's not showing GUIs for plugins, the audio is getting processed but the window is a blank, I can use REAPER's controls. I've tried 1.02 and 1.03.
I had trouble with REAPER 550rc3, I had to separately compile swell to run it.
I'm on Ubuntu Studio 16.10, I have GTK-3dev and I've tried this on a laptop and a tower.
Any ideas?
Also, in the README example a couple of the extensions (.so) should read .exe.so
Old 06-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #2052
osxmidi

Quote:
Hi OSXMIDI,
I'm having problems with LinVst, it's not showing GUIs for plugins, the audio is getting processed but the window is a blank, I can use REAPER's controls. I've tried 1.02 and 1.03.
I had trouble with REAPER 550rc3, I had to separately compile swell to run it.
I'm on Ubuntu Studio 16.10, I have GTK-3dev and I've tried this on a laptop and a tower.
Any ideas?
Also, in the README example a couple of the extensions (.so) should read .exe.so
It might depend on the plugin and your video hardware/drivers.

I've had a black screen with the OP-X Pro (Oberheim) vst, because the old Dell laptop I was using hasn't got great opengl support (old builtin Intel graphics) and opengl is needed for some windows vst's.

If I go to my Nvidia based computer then it's ok.

It could happen with newer hardware if the opengl drivers are not setup correctly for some reason.

Starting Reaper from the terminal will result in Wine sending out messages to the terminal about what's happening.

Maybe try a windows opengl program with Wine and see if there are any problems.

Thanks for pointing out the name problem, I've fixed it now.

Last edited by osxmidi; 06-23-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #2053
Jack Winter

@osxmidi: Don't know if you've seen it, but you have a pm
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #2054
nosucherror

Default LinVst Toneboosters

Hi OSXMIDI
The plugins that are showing up with black GUIs are the Toneboosters older ones with fixed interfaces like Ferox3. The newer ones like Barricade4 are resizable and do show up in REAPER but crash it quite often and resizing is sketchy.
I've attached an error report and the terminal output.
Attached Files
File Type: txt barricade_VST_backtrace.txt (12.8 KB, 153 views)
File Type: txt Tonebooster_plugin_blackGUI.txt (1.8 KB, 233 views)
Old 06-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #2055
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindus View Post
after removing the gtk+3 dev files and trying the new build (rc3) of Reaper I get this on a Reaper start:
reaper: symbol lookup error: ../REAPER/libSwell.so: undefined symbol: gdk_init_check

Installing the gtk+3 dev files again and Reaper is starting
Got it, thanks, will be fixed for rc4!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:06 PM   #2056
osxmidi

Quote:
Hi OSXMIDI
The plugins that are showing up with black GUIs are the Toneboosters older ones with fixed interfaces like Ferox3. The newer ones like Barricade4 are resizable and do show up in REAPER but crash it quite often and resizing is sketchy.
I've attached an error report and the terminal output.
Yeah, the errors are related to OpenGL/D3D.

It means that your video hardware/drivers can't handle the OpenGL that Wine needs to display the Windows plugin.

Wine translates the Windows vst's D3D/DirectX function calls to Linux OpenGL equivalents and if your Linux OpenGL hardware/drivers can't support some of the functions, then it will result in blank screens and other display problems and maybe crashes.

Module Address Debug info Name (156 modules)
ELF 7a800000- 7a9f9000 Deferred opengl32<elf>

fixme:winediag:dxgi_check_feature_level_support None of the requested D3D feature levels is supported on this GPU with the current shader backend.

Last edited by osxmidi; 06-24-2017 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:10 AM   #2057
Jack Winter

Quote:
Yeah, the errors are related to OpenGL/D3D.

Wine translates the Windows vst's D3D/DirectX function calls to Linux OpenGL equivalents and if your Linux OpenGL hardware/drivers can't support some of the functions, then it will result in blank screens and other display problems and maybe crashes.

Module Address Debug info Name (156 modules)
ELF 7a800000- 7a9f9000 Deferred opengl32<elf>

fixme:winediag:dxgi_check_feature_level_support None of the requested D3D feature levels is supported on this GPU with the current shader backend.
Don't know if this helps. I mostly run on an Intel GPU and I have to set the MaxVersionGL key to 0x30002 in the registry, see: https://wiki.winehq.org/Useful_Registry_Keys.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 06-24-2017, 05:16 AM   #2058
nosucherror

Hi Jack,
my Wine 2.11 doesn't have a Direct3D section in the registry, should it be there?
I have two PCs, one with an NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti using their driver and a laptop with an Intel GPU and I have this problem on both.
If anyone wants to try them, here are the Toneboosters plugins
http://www.toneboosters.com/download/
Old 06-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #2059
Jack Winter

Quote:
Hi Jack,
my Wine 2.11 doesn't have a Direct3D section in the registry, should it be there?
I have two PCs, one with an NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti using their driver and a laptop with an Intel GPU and I have this problem on both.
No, you'd have to add it to your registry. Instructions are in the link I posted.

Edit: I guess in this case it won't help, as I think it fixes problems with intel and shouldn't be needed with nvidia.

Last edited by Jack Winter; 06-24-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #2060
Jack Winter

@osxmidi: Heh, your new commits have gotten me in a mess. I tried to merge them but something has gone wrong, and I get unknown opcodes sometimes.

Due to various circumstances regarding github workflow, etc, I think I've really messed up and am not quite sure how to merge all this together. Or I made a mistake somewhere while doing the indentation cleanup.

Am thinking it's probably better I do it once more, but since it's quite a lot of work, I'd be happy not to be confronted with new commits until I'm done.

Any chance that you can give me a day or two to fix it all up before you hack on it again?

Edit: on the good side I think you got rid of some xruns with the latest run of patches.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #2061
osxmidi

Quote:
Hi Jack,
In that case it might be that Wine just can't handle something about the D3D code.

Wine staging is being updated to handle more D3D functions https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...e-2.9-Released

Wine is a work in progess.

There are dll overrides as well.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #2062
nosucherror

Is it possible that rolling back the kernel would help? I have recently found that Bitwig 1 wont run with kernels past 4.10.0-22 and I spent ages thinking it was a Java problem. I just updated my laptop to Ubuntu 17.04 hoping that might help - it didn't.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #2063
Jack Winter

@osxmidi: I just created a pull request on github, for the first series of patches, this one fixes up the indentation to be more consistent. It shouldn't introduce any regressions, as all the edits deal with indentation (and white space) and not the code itself.

Hope you like it, and if there is something you'd like to see done in another style, please let me know. If you accept this one, I intend to do another series dealing with superfluous curly brackets and linefeeds.

After that I have some cool code dealing with realtime priorities lined up, which I've been playing with for a while. But first I'd like to play a bit more with it, to see where it's needed, and possibly to write some latency benchmarking code to see how and how much it helps.

This was actually a very good exercise for me, as I have a much better understanding of the code now.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #2064
Jack Winter

Quote:
Is it possible that rolling back the kernel would help? I have recently found that Bitwig 1 wont run with kernels past 4.10.0-22 and I spent ages thinking it was a Java problem. I just updated my laptop to Ubuntu 17.04 hoping that might help - it didn't.
I think that's unlikely.

I did make some progress with Ferrox though. It seems it uses the d2d drawing lib which is under development in wine, but still missing functionality. It does draw a GUI for me, but doesn't update the knobs properly.

I have wine 2.11 installed and did the following:
1. Created the "Direct3D" key in [HKCU]/Software/Wine
2. Created a dword entry called "MaxVersionGL" and set it to 0x30002

I guess it will start working properly on some future date when everything it needs is implemented, or maybe wine-staging will help.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:30 AM   #2065
nosucherror

Fair enough. Thanks for looking into it Jack. I'm still very impressed with LinVst.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:34 AM   #2066
Jack Winter

Quote:
Fair enough. Thanks for looking into it Jack. I'm still very impressed with LinVst.
So am I I guess we can't expect every single plugin to work, but so many do that it looks very good for the future.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #2067
Jack Winter

@osxmidi: Is there a reason for not making all plugins embedded? Seems to work fine with everything I've thrown at it so far.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #2068
Jack Winter

@osxmidi: I see that I left some small inconsistencies in that large cleanup, if and once you have merged it into main, I'll do those too. Hope you like what I did
Old 06-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #2069
4duhwinnn

Found a nice multi-fx vst to be wrapped by LinVst
for use with the Scorch amp-sim,

http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?plug-ins=MultiFX

It's called antiknot, and it includes

compressor
eq
flanger
tremolo
reverb
delay
phaser

and the all-important randomizer button,
for those still without hearing loss.

Saving/loading presets worked, the gui is shades of gray,
so no sunglasses or medications needed, and linux doesn't
yet have many one-panel convenient plugins with such an array to use.

Also, clicking a knob shows the numeric value,
a favorite feature out west!

Also also, it has tooltips for all the knobs,
very useful even back east.

The z3ta+ 1.5 effects plugin is also nice with Scorch.
It may be still available for those fluent enough in German
to find a Beat Magazine back issue, around may/june/july 2012?

although I don't remember if reg codes had a maximum threshold
that was reached, which sometimes foils late arrivals
to a popular giveaway.

Anyway antiknot is free, and should find several uses.
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 06-25-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #2070
Adamastor

Hi! I'm using Reaper 5 with Ubuntu 16.04 without WINE. I've been able to configure my M-Audio Axiom 61 to work with JACK and Fluidsynth using the following guide:

http://tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi.html

My problem is that I seem to be able to configure my MIDI controller with REAPER, but there is no signal going to the track. I've explained my problem in a little more detail here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/9293...idi-controller

Any advice?
Old 06-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #2071
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamastor View Post
Hi! I'm using Reaper 5 with Ubuntu 16.04 without WINE. I've been able to configure my M-Audio Axiom 61 to work with JACK and Fluidsynth using the following guide:

http://tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi.html

My problem is that I seem to be able to configure my MIDI controller with REAPER, but there is no signal going to the track. I've explained my problem in a little more detail here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/9293...idi-controller

Any advice?
What version of jack is that?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #2072
Adamastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
What version of jack is that?
jackdmp 1.9.11

So from what I can tell this is JACK 2.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #2073
4duhwinnn

You'll need an instrument on a track, so right-click
in the upper-left area of reaper, and use menu option

'Insert virtual instrument on new track'

The plugin locations you have listed in your
VST preferences will have their content listed
for you to choose from.

You may need to use jackd midi, so a command

a2jmidid -j default

will provide a midi port that reaper will use.
You might need to install a2jmidid command,
it's tiny, and can be found at debian package websites
if it's not in your repository.

Also install and use qjackctl, a multi-tab, multi-panel gui
for your start-up, settings and connections. That jackd midi port
will be in the (middle) MIDI tab of qjackctl.
Check youtube for qjackctl video examples.

Installing amsynth is good for testing instrument connections.
Cheers
Old 06-27-2017, 02:20 AM   #2074
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamastor View Post
jackdmp 1.9.11

So from what I can tell this is JACK 2.
Like 4duhwinnn says, I think with jack2 you need to run a2jmidid, with jack1 that is built in. This will make the alsa midi ports appear as jack midi ports. Hopefully one day reaper will support native alsa midi too, and not only jack midi.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:31 AM   #2075
Nixon

I have managed to get all Klanghelm plugins working with LinVST however when trying plugins from https://www.tritik.com/ only moodal shows up in Reaper. Any ideas?
Old 06-30-2017, 06:05 AM   #2076
Mr. PC

My Windows will expire in 2 days.... I downloaded Enterprise LTSB in order to get an OS that has less Telemetry, Metro Apps, Cortana, and other ghastly MS inventions...

I would be in heaven if I could only run Reaper in Linux... but can't make the switch unless I know Kontakt, Neutron, Altiverb/B2 (or another high quality reverb) will work reliably.

I'm guessing we're still not at that point? Please hurry magical software gnomes; Microsoft is killing me!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #2077
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
I have managed to get all Klanghelm plugins working with LinVST however when trying plugins from https://www.tritik.com/ only moodal shows up in Reaper. Any ideas?
If Reaper is started from the terminal then the Wine error messages can be viewed.

I had Krush working but the other ones result in Wine giving a WININET.DLL error and WININET.DLL is used by the plugin for verifying over the net.

At the LinVst GitHub page, I go into some of the more common errors and WININET.DLL is one of them and so are OpenGl errors.

Winetricks may help with WININET.DLL just google it.

The plugins also seem to require a Wine friendly OpenGL capability, meaning that older cards and maybe some builtin Intel cards might have some problems.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #2078
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
I would be in heaven if I could only run Reaper in Linux... but can't make the switch unless I know Kontakt, Neutron, Altiverb/B2 (or another high quality reverb) will work reliably.
I'm not trying to be snarky; just curious: I'm pretty familiar with Neutron (beta tested it), but I don't find it all that useful myself; what about it caused it to make the "can't live without" list for you?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #2079
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky; just curious: I'm pretty familiar with Neutron (beta tested it), but I don't find it all that useful myself; what about it caused it to make the "can't live without" list for you?
For me it's just that the EQ sounds ultra transparent. Maybe it's some placebo, but I feel like the high-pass sounds perfect / artefact free.

It's also convenient having the EQ / Compressor / Limiter in one, plus some other features are sometimes useful.

And finally, the ability to compare 2 signals and check for masking... well, not needed, but interesting and sometimes helpful / educational.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #2080
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
I downloaded Enterprise LTSB in order to get an OS...

...I would be in heaven if I could only run Reaper in Linux...
Welcome to using linux! For Kontakt, the first issues will be installing
wine-staging, then installing and registering Kontakt,
then configuring your system to improve audio performance.

I would suggest using the windows version of reaper in wine,
which runs quite well, and when you have some success,
then setup the linux version.

www.libremusicproduction.com

holds many articles and tutorials that will be crucial.

Along those lines, AVLinux will be a far far far better choice
to start from, as 90% of the audio setup work
a new user would need to do, has been done.
And the version of wine it comes with,
will be a good precursor to using wine-staging.

I would install the latest stable Reaper in AVLinux,
and start trying things. The highways are littered with
the memories of those who attempted the impossible,
expected miracles, and gave up.

NI are moving away from offline registration,
a stupid move in the light of increasing
internet security breaches.
I would plan on keeping a registered win7 setup,
(fully archived for future reinstalls) for perpetuity,
just for Kontakt, using it as a base
for exploring it's use in linux.

Good luck with AVLinux, download the iso, burn it to dvd,
usbstick, to boot and safely test it in a live session.
Or better yet, install it in a cased usb hardisk/ssd
(that's what the guy in your avatar would do...

http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/

Cheers
Closed Thread