Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
Warrior
Human being with feelings

Default Looking for Laptop for Son to Run Reaper

My 19 year old son has been using my DAW to record some friends using copyright free rap beats as his backing tracks. I'm very impressed with what they've been doing and he really enjoys it.

I'd like to get him a laptop that will run Reaper, a portable interface to record vocals and eventually some VI's to create his own beats, synth, etc.

What would be a good, portable laptop for him?

He asked me if one of the foldable, surface laptop's would work?

I'm not even sure what they're called.

The budget would be "as little as possible until I see he's serious".

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reaper 6.13/64 - Audient iD14 Interface-Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB RAM 256GB SSD (OS,apps) & 1TB HDD (data), OS X 10.14.6 - Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz i7, 4 GB RAM, 256GB SSD (OS,apps) OS X 10.13.6 - Presonus Faderport
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
DVDdoug

It's hard to predict how much "computing power" you're going to need. For "basic" audio work, any computer will do... I've been audio recording/editing/playing since the days when a soundcard was an add-on option.

But, if you start multitrack recording/mixing, or using lots of effects or virtual instruments, the requirements can grow a LOT!

Quote:
As long as it's running Windows or OS-X, yes. But, those are not the most economical laptops.

I like a big screen (my laptop screen is 17") but most people prefer more "portability".

Quote:
My 19 year old son...
I realize it's none of my business, but if he's a student he should already have a computer and if he's not a student he should have a job and he can buy his own computer!

P.S.
Most computers sold today are laptops, but laptops are more expensive than desktops, they are more easily damaged or stolen (because they are carried around) and they are more expensive to repair if something breaks. I have more than one computer, but my main "audio-video computer" is a desktop.

Last edited by DVDdoug; 06-26-2017 at 01:45 PM.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
My 19 year old son has been using my DAW to record some friends using copyright free rap beats as his backing tracks. I'm very impressed with what they've been doing and he really enjoys it.

I'd like to get him a laptop that will run Reaper, a portable interface to record vocals and eventually some VI's to create his own beats, synth, etc.

What would be a good, portable laptop for him?

I'm not even sure what they're called.

The budget would be "as little as possible until I see he's serious".

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A simple, cheap laptop.

Reaper will run on anything.

If I were in your shoes, I'd actually reverse roles, and ask him to do the homework on what he needs. Kids are really clever, he can probably figure figure it out.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
ReaperMadness

I picked up (3 years ago) a refurbished HP 'Elite Book' w/ W7 and just 4 GB ram for $225 @ NEWEGG. I put REAPER on it and I'm still using it at the cottage in the summer. No problems.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:35 AM   #5
tgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
I realize it's none of my business, but if he's a student he should already have a computer and if he's not a student he should have a job and he can buy his own computer!
Yikes. Parental advice for strangers.... Didn't expect this here.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:14 AM   #6
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
It's hard to predict how much "computing power" you're going to need. For "basic" audio work, any computer will do... I've been audio recording/editing/playing since the days when a soundcard was an add-on option.

But, if you start multitrack recording/mixing, or using lots of effects or virtual instruments, the requirements can grow a LOT!

As long as it's running Windows or OS-X, yes. But, those are not the most economical laptops.

I like a big screen (my laptop screen is 17") but most people prefer more "portability".

P.S.
Most computers sold today are laptops, but laptops are more expensive than desktops, they are more easily damaged or stolen (because they are carried around) and they are more expensive to repair if something breaks. I have more than one computer, but my main "audio-video computer" is a desktop.
Appreciate the advice. A laptop will be important for him as he wants the ability to work from remote locations and not just from his room.

Regarding him buying his own computer..... he did have one but really didn't use it aside from school while he was a student. He sold it to purchase 2 tires for his car that were dangerously worn. He didn't have enough money at the time and didn't want to ask me for the money.

He was severely injured in a car accident in May (hit head on by drunk driver) and was hospitalized for 1 month. It happened the same evening he started a brand new job.

We converted our living room into his bedroom and bathroom because he's in a wheelchair and cannot navigate our steps.

It's difficult for him as he is used to being very mobile. Trying to help him find ways to keep from dying of boredom is challenging. I figure getting him set-up to continue working on his newly founded passion for recording/creating will help.

He's making progress and we hope he will be able to start putting weight on his leg and arm in another month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
I picked up (3 years ago) a refurbished HP 'Elite Book' w/ W7 and just 4 GB ram for $225 @ NEWEGG. I put REAPER on it and I'm still using it at the cottage in the summer. No problems.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
Reaper 6.13/64 - Audient iD14 Interface-Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB RAM 256GB SSD (OS,apps) & 1TB HDD (data), OS X 10.14.6 - Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz i7, 4 GB RAM, 256GB SSD (OS,apps) OS X 10.13.6 - Presonus Faderport
Old 06-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #7
davetbass

Quote:
Pretty much what I have, and if you live near a Microcenter they have tons of refurbished W7 for around that price with great in store service.

IBehringer UMC204HD for audi and Midi $80

Korg microKEY (With free M1 VST for 80's cheese) $80

And then I've spent thousands of hours searching and trying legitimately free VSTs and Samples (If I had spent that time working, even at Mcdonalds, I'd have enough $$$$ to buy all the commercial vsts I'd need, but whatever)

So right there I feel is enough to make great sounding music in any genre
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:14 AM   #8
ReaperMadness

Off Topic:

Warrior - Hey! I'm in SE MI, too.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #9
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Off Topic:

Warrior - Hey! I'm in SE MI, too.
Well, at least we're all on the EAST side of Michigan...
Old 06-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
Warrior

Quote:
I run an SSD on my MAC's and I run apps, samples and record to the same SSD with no issues.

With a W7 system, can I expect the same or should I anticipate needing to run the apps from the internal drive and record to an external drive?

Backing up to an external of course.

East Michigan - The sunrise side.... waking up and getting stuff done while the competition is still sleeping! LOL!!
Old 06-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #11
jerome_oneil

I just paid $160 for a used HP i5. Runs like a top. Reaper will run on your watch. It's just that awesome.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #12
ReaperMadness

I'd personally hold off on additional bells & whistle 'til & if the need arises. I'm not doing anything humungous at the cottage, but I haven't had problem one building-up 10-12 track pieces right in the box. I'm just using a small, portable midi keyboard (Samson Graphite 49) USB'd into the HP. Your mileage may vary adding an interface and vocals - don't know.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #13
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
I just paid $160 for a used HP i5. Runs like a top. Reaper will run on your watch. It's just that awesome.
Something like this?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #14
ReaperMadness

???

Something along these lines... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...04&ignorebbr=1

Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
Warrior

Quote:
One last question (Don't hold me to that).... why not Windows 10 instead of W7?

I'm thinking upgradability/longevity.

Would this be a decent unit?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...62&ignorebbr=1

or this one (suggested by Newegg tech)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834299691
I'm really out of touch when it comes to Windows systems.

Last edited by Warrior; 06-28-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #16
serr

If your budget is "keep it cheap or less", you can find machines from a few years ago for under $200. Even high-ish spec machines.

An older machine that restricts you to say, OSX 10.6.8 might have a little DIY needed for some internet services nowadays but it can't be as bad as dealing with Windows.

The $400 - $600 range can get you a decent spec machine with most bang for the buck that runs everything current.

High spec machines start at $1000. Only pay for this if you really plan to use it.

On the one hand, we're in a lull these last few years with no real upgrades out there. On the other hand, there's never been a time to get more bang for the buck with used gear. Put a new 240GB SSD for $80 in whatever you buy. Batteries, hard drives, and optical drives are consumables but the machines themselves can run for 15 years or more if cared for.

Those Worst Purchase store deals with the Windows machines (the cheap ones with 10 year ago specs) and the sales guy that learned one computer term: RAM... It sounds like a mistake to me but YMMV. On the other side, the new crop of reduced feature Macbooks with the big price tags have configurations that just don't make sense. Whatever you do, avoid the Retina Macbooks and the newer iMacs that glue the screen on! Those "cost reductions" can lead to absolutely absurd repair costs if you break the screen.

Last edited by serr; 06-28-2017 at 10:52 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #17
Gurt Tractor

Used 'business' laptops are the best computer deals you can get IMO. I would recommend models with removable/swappable batteries with available and reasonably priced replacements, upgradeable RAM (most will have this) and easily removeable hard drives so you can stick an SSD in there when it is affordable (many used models at this point may come with mSATA SSDs anyway). SD card slot is a bonus. Also 3 USB ports as a minumum, this is very important so you can have an audio interface, USB MIDI devices, and an external hard drive for large storage of recordings and samples.

Getting one worth replaceable batteries is important as that's what is most likely to have worn out through use.

I would highly recommend a Thinkpad, T or X model. I bought an X230 with an 'i7' 3520m (2 core/4 thread) CPU, I upgraded it to have a 256GB SATA SSD, 128GB mSATA SSD that I got for cheap, and swapped the 4GB of RAM to 8GB. Is been a really excellent laptop at uni (I'm studying music production). Nice and compact and really easy to grip in one hand actually. The batteries are readily available, plus replacement keyboard modules and other parts.

Another nice thing is the interface with the Thinkpads may be relevant to your son is the Trackpoint (the little red nub joystick control in the keyboard), this makes using the device with one hand very comfortable, and you don't have to move your hand away from the keyboard's home row while moving the cursor. I find this makes it very ergonomic to use on my lap.

Hope this is helpful.
Gurt Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #18
Warrior

[QUOTE=serr;1859915]If your budget is "keep it cheap or less", you can find machines from a few years ago for under $200. Even high-ish spec machines.[QUOTE]

Serr, Are you referring to Windows machines here?

If so, would this machine below be in that category?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA5HA5WA9376

the SSD is a little smaller than you recommended.

I really would like to keep it in the ~$200 range.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #19
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurt Tractor View Post
Used 'business' laptops are the best computer deals you can get IMO. I would recommend models with removable/swappable batteries with available and reasonably priced replacements, upgradeable RAM (most will have this) and easily removeable hard drives so you can stick an SSD in there when it is affordable (many used models at this point may come with mSATA SSDs anyway). SD card slot is a bonus. Also 3 USB ports as a minumum, this is very important so you can have an audio interface, USB MIDI devices, and an external hard drive for large storage of recordings and samples.

Getting one worth replaceable batteries is important as that's what is most likely to have worn out through use.

I would highly recommend a Thinkpad, T or X model. I bought an X230 with an 'i7' 3520m (2 core/4 thread) CPU, I upgraded it to have a 256GB SATA SSD, 128GB mSATA SSD that I got for cheap, and swapped the 4GB of RAM to 8GB. Is been a really excellent laptop at uni (I'm studying music production). Nice and compact and really easy to grip in one hand actually. The batteries are readily available, plus replacement keyboard modules and other parts.

Another nice thing is the interface with the Thinkpads may be relevant to your son is the Trackpoint (the little red nub joystick control in the keyboard), this makes using the device with one hand very comfortable, and you don't have to move your hand away from the keyboard's home row while moving the cursor. I find this makes it very ergonomic to use on my lap.

Hope this is helpful.
This unit doesn't look too bad and I could upgrade to SSD. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it being a "grade B" unit.

Is it difficult to swap out the HDD to SSD on Windows machines? (Meaning backing up the disk image and putting it on the new disk)I've done it on my Mac's but haven't messed with Windows in years.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #20
themixtape

Budget? Windows?

If windows...

Go with a used Dell Precision M4600. Sometimes can be found with a SSD installed. 8GB ram on average. $250. Has Windows 7, 64-bit on it. Laptop can be upgraded to 32GB ram. Full HD display. Nice laptop for the money.

Interface-- Focusrite Scarlett Solo (try to avoid their 2nd gen interfaces-- buggy drivers/glitchy recording).

Total cost: $350
Old 06-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #21
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Budget? Windows?

If windows...

Go with a used Dell Precision M4600. Sometimes can be found with a SSD installed. 8GB ram on average. $250. Has Windows 7, 64-bit on it. Laptop can be upgraded to 32GB ram. Full HD display. Nice laptop for the money.

Interface-- Focusrite Scarlett Solo (try to avoid their 2nd gen interfaces-- buggy drivers/glitchy recording).

Total cost: $350
Been wondering why not Windows 10? I've heard lots of folks say there systems are running great with it - especially if it was a clean install. I figure if I get a machine that already has it, I should be good and can avoid the eventual upgrade issues.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
themixtape

Ah, Windows 10 annoys me. I just think Win7 is the best/easiest to use. It's not designed for tablet/swiping. I find 10 just... no. haha
Old 06-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #23
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Been wondering why not Windows 10? I've heard lots of folks say there systems are running great with it - especially if it was a clean install. I figure if I get a machine that already has it, I should be good and can avoid the eventual upgrade issues.
Aye-windozez latest update runs fine- it did do some reasetting of certain things on win/pro though-minor resets.
I think there is no version #s now-it's just windows+whatever upgrade comes along.
Things like 32b vst plugins+ etc not being updated,or likely to be either-may cause conflicts potentially with bridging/emulations n crud like that.
Old outdated soft+hardwares basically not playing along with the new soft+hardware drills.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #24
serr

[QUOTE=Warrior;1859929][QUOTE=serr;1859915]If your budget is "keep it cheap or less", you can find machines from a few years ago for under $200. Even high-ish spec machines.
Quote:

Serr, Are you referring to Windows machines here?

If so, would this machine below be in that category?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA5HA5WA9376

the SSD is a little smaller than you recommended.

I really would like to keep it in the ~$200 range.
I was thinking about Macbook Pros.

Apple would have to break a lot more things to make me consider trying Windows. (And then I'd just keep using the old whatever until a different option came along.)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #25
Warrior

[QUOTE=serr;1859940][QUOTE=Warrior;1859929]
Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
If your budget is "keep it cheap or less", you can find machines from a few years ago for under $200. Even high-ish spec machines.

I was thinking about Macbook Pros.

Apple would have to break a lot more things to make me consider trying Windows. (And then I'd just keep using the old whatever until a different option came along.)
Can't imagine getting into a MacBook Pro for $200 or less without having to do some work.

Those exist?
Old 06-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #26
avocadomix

The most important thing for a DAW computer is the CPU. It is also easily the most expensive part of a computer. Reaper will run on almost anything, but once you get to using some plugins, a weak CPU will get saturated quickly. The marketing, unfortunately, is misleading as to what any particular CPU is capable of. They may market an "i7" computer but they will almost never say what that i7 can do. Easiest way to figure that out is check each CPU's TDP (thermal design power). Basically the higher the TDP and the newer the CPU, the more processing power. All the rest is way less important. To check the TDP, just google the exact CPU model and check the specs on ark.intel.com (usually the first result in Google). For example, i7-7500U has a TDP of 15W as stated here:
https://ark.intel.com/products/95451...p-to-3_50-GHz-

While i7-4710HQ has a TDP of 47W as stated here:
https://ark.intel.com/products/78930...up-to-3_50-GHz

Hence, the 4th-generation i7 HQ is a much more powerful CPU than a 7th-generation i7 "u" CPU. The generation is easy to deduce from the first number after the dash.

Unfortunately, higher TDP means more heat, means a larger and heavier cooling system, means a less portable computer. So now you have all the basic tradeoffs to make.

Last edited by avocadomix; 06-29-2017 at 02:08 PM.
avocadomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #27
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadomix View Post
The most important thing for a DAW computer is the CPU. It is also easily the most expensive part of a computer. Reaper will run on almost anything, but once you get to using some plugins, a weak CPU will get saturated quickly. The marketing, unfortunately, is misleading as to what any particular CPU is capable of. They may market an "i7" computer but they will almost never say what that i7 can do. Easiest way to figure that out is check each CPU's TDP (thermal design power). Basically the higher the TDP and the newer the CPU, the more processing power. All the rest is way less important. To check the TDP, just google the exact CPU model and check the specs on ark.intel.com (usually the first result in Google). For example, i7-7500U has a TDP of 15W as stated here:
https://ark.intel.com/products/95451...p-to-3_50-GHz-

While i7-4710HQ has a TDP of 47W as stated here:
https://ark.intel.com/products/78930...up-to-3_50-GHz

Hence, the 4th-generation i7 HQ is a much more powerful CPU than a 7th-generation i7 "u" CPU. The generation is easy to deduce from the first number after the dash.

Unfortunately, higher TDP means more heat, means a larger and heavier cooling system, means a less portable computer. So now you have all the basic tradeoffs to make.
So if an i5 & and i7 have the same TDP, does that mean there is no advantage to the i7?

i5-3320M vs i7-3520M
Old 07-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #28
jamesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
I've been using the slightly newer 17" version (the M6700) for a few years. They're very nice machines but don't try to use the onboard Firewire for audio - it uses the wrong chipset and my Focusrite Saffire interface just made strange buzzing noises when I tried.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #29
weeper

I think you are looking for an HP myself. I use an HP envy, reaper, and plug a keyboard into it when I travel. They have all the top shelf specs on a more budget friendly price. Just make sure it has enough memory (8 gigs for sample use), and make sure it has enough ports to do the job.
weeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #30
ReaperMadness

Aaaaannnnd... we're back to sq. 1.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #31
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
You should always *always* come back to this if you're getting confused. For that set of requirements, a decent i5 with a decent USB interface will do everything he wants to do. If he ever reaches a point where that won't do what he wants it to do, then he's done incredibly well for himself and will need better kit, anyway.

And there's nothing wrong with Win-10. From a support standpoint, it's what you want anyway.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #32
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
You should always *always* come back to this if you're getting confused. For that set of requirements, a decent i5 with a decent USB interface will do everything he wants to do. If he ever reaches a point where that won't do what he wants it to do, then he's done incredibly well for himself and will need better kit, anyway.

And there's nothing wrong with Win-10. From a support standpoint, it's what you want anyway.
+1 ad infinitum. J. O. is exactly right. Sooo easy to get off target in these threads.