Old 08-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
CharlieI
Human being with feelings

Default Keeping on top of Sends

I've just started using sends in a big way and I'm finding it quite hard to keep on top of what's going where. Am I missing something?

I don't think I'm using a huge number of sends- most tracks have 3 or 4...

Is there a way you can highlight sends to the selected track? So I could click on my recording monitor track, say, and see which tracks have sends pointing to it.
I guess listing the send controls as an old-school matrix would help me out too- wouldn't scale as well though. (As in, only sends to track 6 are in row 1 etc.)

Any ideas?

Thanks.
CharlieI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
planetnine

Hello Charlie, and welcome to the forums.

Have you looked in the routing matrix? (view - routing matrix, Alt-R).

Also you can display sends in the MCP (mixer), so you can see at a glance what is being sent where, and while you're there, holding your mouse cursor over any track's IO button shows a tooltip note listing sends and receives for that track.

Hope this helps...

>
Old 08-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
CharlieI

Thanks, @planetnine. Lovely to be here!

Good point. Yes. The routing matrix is a lot like the thing that I described... Damn. I think that's my answer.

The MCP is what I've been using so far. It makes it really easy to see where each track's sending and to set levels, but not so helpful on where its receiving from.

...Now. I wonder if you can skin the routing matrix to replace the "Something here" icon you can click with a send level knob you can click and drag?

Cheers
Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

If you click the IO button on any track it will show all of the sends and receives for that track. This is a great way to adjust relative levels when a track is receiving from multiple places. Instead of hunting down and adjusting at the individual sending tracks, just go into the receiving track and it's all right there almost like its own individual mixer.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Swamp Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieI View Post
...Now. I wonder if you can skin the routing matrix to replace the "Something here" icon you can click with a send level knob you can click and drag?

Cheers
You mean replacing the little doohickey with a knob like on the items? That's a pretty good idea actually. I wonder if it's a feature request already?
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
CharlieI

Thanks all for replies!

@ashcat_lt: Yeah- I think this is the closest thing to what I'm after.

@Swamp Ape: Exactly! If I was running the Reaper developer queue I'd make the MCP send knobs highlighted when you selected the track they send to... I mean, that's if you're keeping a list of the reasons why I shouldn't be let near Reaper's dev queue.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Ape View Post
You mean replacing the little doohickey with a knob like on the items? That's a pretty good idea actually. I wonder if it's a feature request already?

I'd venture to suggest that this is possible in scripting already -a standalone matrix with controls...

Edit: actually, the matrix already shows you send type and level visually, and a single mouse-click gives you a mousewheel controllable send, amongst other controls.

>
Old 08-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
hopi

it does show them but IMO poorly the little bars don't nearly reflect what a send looks like on the mcp ..

yes you can clk them and get the actual send which is swell... but

how kewl would it be to have a much more visual and bigger sized GUI for this in a matrix...

perhaps even skinable???