Old 11-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
adissu
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper crashes quiet often

Hi everybody,

since I use Reaper with my Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 with the actual driver, I got more and more problems using Reaper. Since the last update it seems that this problems increased.

I have problems with the ASIO Audio Interface. At the beginning I had often to switch the ASIO interface in the preferences to get the interface work after starting Reaper. Today the playback stopped when I clicked on Solo for a track which was playing in loop. I tried switching the ASIO driver from the manufacturer to ASIO4ALL. This solved the first step of often (not always) changing the settings to get it work but now it interrupts the playback at another point of time.

The instability of Reaper increased noticeable since the last version. Are these problems already known? Are there any useful workarounds? Should I report a bug to the Bug tracker?

Here is my configuration:

Core i7 2635qm
8 GB RAM
Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Reaper 4.75 (64-bit)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 with driver version 1.8 or ASIO4ALL 2.12

And additionally the Event-Manager Output (it is in German, but I think the relevant parts can be identified easily):
Programm reaper.exe, Version 4.7.5.0 kann nicht mehr unter Windows ausgeführt werden und wurde beendet. Überprüfen Sie den Problemverlauf in der Wartungscenter-Systemsteuerung, um nach weiteren Informationen zum Problem zu suchen.
Prozess-ID: 1c48
Startzeit: 01d008eb1e01e08c
Endzeit: 60000
Anwendungspfad: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\reaper.exe
Berichts-ID: 56aad17a-74df-11e4-8041-1c7508d8c3f4
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

Thanks for you help.

Regards,
adissu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Mink99

There should be some entries above or below the protocol, something like 'fehlerbucket" "ereignisid" or sth similar. . Could you please check ? (What they say about wartungscenter)
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
adissu

OK, if have looked again and there are some additional information (details) I just paste the two entries as XML. At least something like an event id is contained.

PHP Code:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <
System>
  <
Provider Name="Application Error" /> 
  <
EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID
  <
Level>2</Level
  <
Task>100</Task
  <
Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords
  <
TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-11-25T20:12:23.000000000Z" /> 
  <
EventRecordID>82381</EventRecordID
  <
Channel>Application</Channel
  <
Computer>Wolfgang-PC</Computer
  <
Security /> 
  </
System>
- <
EventData>
  <
Data>reaper_host32.exe</Data
  <
Data>0.0.0.0</Data
  <
Data>545d2456</Data
  <
Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data
  <
Data>6.3.9600.17278</Data
  <
Data>53eeb460</Data
  <
Data>0000087a</Data
  <
Data>00012f71</Data
  <
Data>df8</Data
  <
Data>01d008eb22259673</Data
  <
Data>C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins\reaper_host32.exe</Data
  <
Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data
  <
Data>5d73e791-74df-11e4-8041-1c7508d8c3f4</Data
  <
Data /> 
  <
Data /> 
  </
EventData>
  </
Event
and the second one:
PHP Code:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <
System>
  <
Provider Name="Application Hang" /> 
  <
EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID
  <
Level>2</Level
  <
Task>101</Task
  <
Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords
  <
TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-11-25T20:13:27.000000000Z" /> 
  <
EventRecordID>82386</EventRecordID
  <
Channel>Application</Channel
  <
Computer>Wolfgang-PC</Computer
  <
Security /> 
  </
System>
- <
EventData>
  <
Data>reaper.exe</Data
  <
Data>4.7.5.0</Data
  <
Data>1c48</Data
  <
Data>01d008eb1e01e08c</Data
  <
Data>60000</Data
  <
Data>C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\reaper.exe</Data
  <
Data>56aad17a-74df-11e4-8041-1c7508d8c3f4</Data
  <
Data /> 
  <
Data /> 
  <
Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary
  </
EventData>
  </
Event
Old 11-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
ivansc

Scientific Wild-Assed Guess - you have a plugin that is misbehaving.
Start a new clean project and see if this is still happening with no plugs inserted.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
adissu

Ah ok, I will give this a try this evening and give feedback if this is the problem. So if a VST Plugin makes trouble it can only make trouble, if it is in use or could it also make trouble only of its existence?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
DarkStar

^^^^
Only if loaded in the project. But once you have found out which one it is - let us know and consider installing it. You won't want it to cause problems later on.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
adissu

OK, I tried to reproduce the problem on a new project. I added a new track and than started adding the VST-Plugins I used in the other project. But nothing strange happend. Then I opend the other project in parallel and Reaper crashed suddenly. Than I started Reaper again and successfully loaded the problematic project. At the beginning it worked fine but then became worse - at least crashed again.

The VST plugin I was working with at the crash was UltraChannel from Eventide. I use it several times in my project. But I can't imagine that this plugin should cause these problems...

The FX CPU load is max. 20%. The specs of my computer are listed in the first post of this thread.
Is there a kind of recommanded limit of VST that should be used in a project or how often the same VST should be used at maximum?
Are there any VST known making trouble with Reaper?

Last edited by adissu; 11-28-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
spk77

Do you have any Focusrite plugins installed?

This "Scarlett Plug-in Suite"
http://uk.focusrite.com/downloads?pr...+Plug-in+Suite

...crashes REAPER when loading a project (Win8 64bit, Scarlett 18i20)

also - Focusrite Midnight EQ plug-in crashes Reaper:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=116874
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
ivansc

If nothing strange happened when you loaded the plugins omtp the new project and you were using the SAME plugins as in the old project, there is a problem in the original project.

Have you tried unloading all the plugins from the old project and then adding them back in if it doesnt crash with no plugs?

This is beginning to sound like you have unwittingly changed some obscure setting in the first project and not in the second.....

Another thing that is worth trying is the option to use "open new project with factory default settings".

At least you will know for sure that you are starting off clean.

EDIT: Dern! I forgot about the issues with the Scarlett suite! I had my Scarlett for such a short time before sending it back I didnt remember that particular part of the experience.....
My experience with focusrite so far is that they are generally not that great at any sort of software

Last edited by ivansc; 11-30-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
adissu

Thanks for your replies.

Yes indeed I have Focusrite VSTs installed. They were delivered with my audio interface but as you already mentioned the quality of these plugins is not that good. All the standard Reaper VSTs are much better. OK, the GUI is not so super-desigend but who cares about that, when listening to the music. ;-)

I will uninstall that stuff now and then we will see, but unfortunetally not today. 12 pm has passed in Germany :-) I will place my feedback here as soon as possible.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
adissu

hmm, today Reaper chrashed directly at the startup. Focusrite Suite is deinstalled. After the second boot there was again the interface problem - this meens pressing play (or space bar) and Reaper doesn't start to play. So I changed the interface in the audio settings to another one and then back. Then it worked for now today.

The only thing that still happens, is, that sometimes the music sounds crickly (don't know, if this word makes any sense, but it describes the problem in a kind of phonetic way ;-). then i have to stop, wait a moment and then start again, to fix that.

So do you think, I should go on in investing time to look up the VSTs? Or could you imagine, that a combinition of VSTs lead to the issues?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
ivansc

A suggestion which I hope will not offend you.

Go back and do a FULL antivirus scan on your computer.
This will hopefully eliminate any outside interference.

Either completely uninstall every single BIT of your current reaper install AND the drivers you are using for ASIO or do a new *portable* install.
Re-install the latest drivers you can get for your audio device.

Once you have done these things, start reaper.
Then go to the setup section and make sure you have got your asio device as record/playback device.
In the asio setup window set your asio buffer to 512 or 1024. Either one will eliminate the possibility that your crackles are caused by buffer issues.

Now record something with NO plugins.

If you still have problems, come back and we will go further

Oh, and read the MANUAL, even if it is only to check out the instructions for initial setup.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #13
adissu

Hi again,

its a long time ago that I wass struggling with that problem. Unfortunetally I was too busy with other stuff then having the time to go on solving that problem.

In the last days I could localize the problem or lets say, I have an idea what teh problem could be. I had a project with 24 tracks and I was using the Eventide UltraChannel plugin at 17 tracks. At this point everytime I opend on instance the plugin, it freezed and then i had to restart Reaper. The CPU load and memery usage was OK, so there was no swapping or too much waiting time for the plugin.

So there are two possiblities.
1. This special plugin gets a problem, if there are too many instances are used in parallel.
2. Reaper has a problem, using a (at least this) plugin in so many tracks.

To figure out, if case 1 or 2 is the problem, I have to do the same with another plugin. If this behavior will be the same, Reapers struggels with this amount of same plugins. In the other case the plugin is the source of my problem and Eventide has to solve that problem.

OK, it could also be case 1 and 2 be true ;-)

Did you have similar experinces with this or another plugin?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #14
ivansc

I feel for you. There has been discussion here and elsewhere indicating that that eventide plug may have issues. I got it (as did many others) as a freebie/cheapo and use it with no real issues but to be honest I would never use any channel strip 17 times in one project, so that my be part of YOUR particular problem, but not necessarily all of it.

I suspect you already have the answer - Ultrachannel - but next time you get a crash, save out the crashlog file and post it on here.
One of the smart guys on here who know bout code will be able to interpret exactly hat process is causing the crash.

Oh and I haven't tried it in any of my other daws, so I will fire up sonar later and see if it runs OK on that, just a a double check.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #15
adissu

Its the same for me. I also got it for free in their marketing action. But now the plugin costs $249. I would expect that this should work properly. My then license works with the actual version of the plugin.

I like that plugin because it contains the most needed features I need per Channel. And I like the presets. Thats something I really miss at the Reaper plugins to have a solid set of good presets. Especially for people that start with recording this is one of the most valuable assistance.

I will have a look this evening, if this behavior is the same with another plugin (but I don't think so). If not, I will contact Eventide and I'm also interested in your experience with UltraChannel in Sonar.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:35 PM   #16
innuendo

I can see that you are using the 64-bit version of Reaper.
One of your crashlogs mentions the crash was in "reaper_host32.exe".
Which means that you are using a 32-bit plugin in that project. I couldn't know which plugin that was, but I'd suggest you make sure that you only use 64-bit versions of the plugins, this will at least improve performance. And might help with your problem.

If some plugin you need has no 64-bit version, you might want to consider switching to the 32-bit version of Reaper and subsequently changing all the plugins in your projects to 32-bit versions.

Regarding crash when opening Reaper. This is probably caused by the driver. I'd suggest you switch to the Focusrite driver, and make sure that Windows uses your device at the same sampling rate as Reaper. So you should note what sampling rate is used in your project (probably 44.1kHz), then open your control panel and look up "manage audio devices" there or something similar. I'm on windows 7 and never tried windows 8 yet, so I'm assuming it works in a similar way there, though I can't say for sure. If it does, then opening "manage audio devices" will produce a window with a list of ports of all the audio devices recognized by Windows. Select your playback device (perhaps it will have "Scarlett" in it) and double-click it, or click on "Properties". Then click on the "Advanced" tab. There, make sure the same sampling rate is chosen as you normally use in Reaper.
This might or might not help, worth a check anyway.
Let us know how it's going.
innuendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #17
ivansc

Running fine in Sonar X3 Studio 64bit.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #18
adissu

OK, I made a new project with 18 Track that all contain the CSR Hall Plugin from IK Multimedia. On the 18 tracks there is the all over same file (so 18 times in parallel). Works properly...

BUT: I switched all plugins to UltraChannel. They also work fine (18 in parallel), now I added again the CSR Hall Plugin on all tracks, so there are no 36 plugins in parallel. No problems.

Until now the project was just 35 seconds long. Now I streched all the tracks to a length of 5 Minutes. Still working fine... hmm. That's nice in general but doesn't solves my problem with the struggling project...
Old 01-20-2015, 03:55 PM   #19
adissu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc
Running fine in Sonar X3 Studio 64bit.
Thanks for checking that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
I can see that you are using the 64-bit version of Reaper.
One of your crashlogs mentions the crash was in "reaper_host32.exe".
Which means that you are using a 32-bit plugin in that project.
Yes indeed, I run Reaper in 64-bit and there are several plugins in 32-bit. Especially the UltraChannel plugin is described as compatible to 64-bit DAWs and is marked as compatible with Reaper on their homepage - but this is in case of doubt even marketing.

But I will give it a try to switch to a 32-bit Version of Reaper. Do you think this could cause problems switching the Reaper versions on an existing project? I will come back if I have some results.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #20
innuendo

You can have the 32-bit version of Reaper installed in parallel with the 64-bit version.

I suggest you save your project with a -64-bit suffix.
Then load it in 32-bit Reaper and save it under a different name, to prevent confusion. For example, change the suffix to -32-bit.

As soon as you have loaded and saved the project under a different name, open every plugin running in the 64-bit compatibility mode and save its settings. Then remove all the 64-bit plugins and re-add their 32-bit instances. Then load settings for all of them. A bit of work, but this might help.
innuendo is offline   Reply With Quote