Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
Kato
Human being with feelings

Default Twice the Audio_Half the fun

First time poster!

I have recently been trialling my new Focusrite 18:8 with Reaper and found that when I record enable an audio track, I am hearing double. This does not happen with other DAW's I own. Done all I can to check mix control settings and audio preferences.

Anyone experienced this before? Any fixes?

Warm Regards,

Kato.
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
clepsydrae

Hi -- welcome to the forums!

First/obvious guess is that you are monitoring through your interface as well as through Reaper, and hearing the combination in the headphones (or out your monitor speakers). The copy of the audio going through Reaper is delayed by the latency of your audio interface, and the copy coming direct from the interface is not, causing two versions of the audio on top of each other, slightly out of sync. Sound like your symptoms?

The solution is to disable record monitoring in Reaper. How it got turned on for the track in question only you can answer. :-) There are little speaker icons on the tracks which, note, cycle through three states, not two, when clicked: off -> on -> auto -> off. The "auto" is sort of a yellowish color; perhaps you think monitoring is off but it's in "auto" mode?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Kato

Thanks Clepsydrae,

I think the issue may be a little deeper, as when I turning monitoring off I loose all audio. When back on, I get double. If were monitoring direct as well as through the DAW then I should get at least the direct feed when all monitoring is turned off, right?

John.
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #4
clepsydrae

That's right. Hmmm. Can you post a demo reaper project file somewhere for examination?

This happens in a project with, say, just one track that you're monitoring, with no effects or strange routing going on?

It still doesn't happen in other DAWs while using the same interface? (Kindly list which DAWs.)

When you say the audio is doubled, how exactly? Two copies with one delayed? If so, delayed by how much time, roughly?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote