Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-13-2014, 04:16 AM   #1
UberMario
Human being with feelings

Default MPKEndless Encoders Increment/Decrement with reaper? [SOLVED]

Hello Folks,

I am trying to assign my midi encoders on my MPK88 to plugin parameters so that it has relative control. That is, I don't want an absolute mapping even with soft takeover, but I want to be able to turn knobs without the parameter snapping to the first sent data or having to pass by the current value before takeover kicks in.

With the MPK series you can either send CC messages with the encoders, or Inc/Dec NRPN messages. With inc/dec all you can set is the channel, MSB & LSB on the MPK so I have been struggling to figure out how to set these numbers properly.

Does anyone know how to make Inc/Dec work? Is there a specific MSB/LSB number you have to send or are my endless encoders useless at this point?

EDIT:
Found the solution. I used MIDI-OX to as a pre-processor for the midi data. You must do the following:

-Set midi-ox mappings to pick up the specific NRPN messages your controller sends
-Set the mappings to output a normal CC message when the above NRPNs are received. These CC messages need to use the values REAPER expects for inc/dec (there are 3 modes, the one I used was mode 3 so i set the CC values sent to be 1 or 65 based on which direction the knob turns).
*Important*
You need midiyoke or some other virtual midi cable program to send the output of midi-ox to reaper and disable your midi controller in the reaper midi settings. If you don't do that, you'll get two messages - the one from your controller and the one from midi-ox. This will cause problems.

You can also do this with OSCII-Bot and the script in the thread I posted below. Bomes midi translator works too.

Last edited by UberMario; 07-30-2014 at 12:31 PM.
UberMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
UberMario

So I think it's just pointless to try and use the inc/dec mode on my Akai since it seems Reaper's relative modes don't work with NRPNs at all.

My next best solution would probably involve making the Akai transmit a cc value of 63 and 65 depending on whether it turns cw/ccw.

Does anyone know if I can do this with something like MidiOx? The only problem is when I hit the value 0 or 127, any turning further in that same direction doesn't seem to keep transmitting a 0/127 value but the unit just stops transmitting.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
UberMario

Okay I think I found a solution in another thread but I have yet to test it.

Solution can be seen here starting at post #24: http://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1331970

Banned came up with what looks like a great solution, although I think it could be done with Bome's just as easily.

I'll try his method first then try to set it up in Bome's Midi translator as well and report back.