Old 08-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
fluorescentgrey
Human being with feelings

Default Changing MIDI Presets for Tracks

Hello! I have a Roland A800-Pro keyboard connect via a MIDI to USB cable that I run through my computer, and a Waldorf Microwave XT Synthesizer connected with a Roland UM-ONE Cable. I can trigger my synth from Reaper, and I can record sounds, but I can't get different tracks to have different patches/sounds/presets from the synthesizer. Whenever I change the selected preset on my synthesizer, when I playback in Reaper, all the other tracks change to that preset instead of whatever one they were when I recorded them. I have read a couple of threads on this, but unfortunately I am still confused. I tried playing with setting different tracks to different channels, but that didn't seem to work. I saw the MIDI track controls, but I am not completely sure where to get/locate these presets from my synth, and I suppose this also means that I cannot tweak the sound while it is actually recording? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
fluorescentgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluorescentgrey View Post
Hello! I have a Roland A800-Pro keyboard connect via a MIDI to USB cable that I run through my computer, and a Waldorf Microwave XT Synthesizer connected with a Roland UM-ONE Cable. I can trigger my synth from Reaper, and I can record sounds, but I can't get different tracks to have different patches/sounds/presets from the synthesizer. Whenever I change the selected preset on my synthesizer, when I playback in Reaper, all the other tracks change to that preset instead of whatever one they were when I recorded them. I have read a couple of threads on this, but unfortunately I am still confused. I tried playing with setting different tracks to different channels, but that didn't seem to work. I saw the MIDI track controls, but I am not completely sure where to get/locate these presets from my synth, and I suppose this also means that I cannot tweak the sound while it is actually recording? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Conceptually each track in Reaper that you want to send to your synth must transmit on a different midi channel. Then by inserting a program change on each of those Reaper tracks you can control what sound the synth uses to play each track.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
fluorescentgrey

Thanks for the response!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
by inserting a program change on each of those Reaper tracks you can control what sound the synth uses to play each track.
This is mainly what I am confused about. I can get to the MIDI Track Control Panel, but I am not really sure what to do from there, as in, how I can access the programs from the synthesizer through Reaper.
fluorescentgrey is offline   Reply With Quote