Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
5string
Human being with feelings

Default fade out multiple tracks simultaneously

surely there's a way to do this. i've checked the users guide in the editing section (6.19) but didn't find anything. i tried grouping the tracks, selecting the ones in question but nothing seems to work.
need help
tks
5string
Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5string View Post
surely there's a way to do this. i've checked the users guide in the editing section (6.19) but didn't find anything. i tried grouping the tracks, selecting the ones in question but nothing seems to work.
need help
tks
5string
Assign them all to a sub-bus and then automate it's output.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
serr

Select all the items you want to draw fades on. ⌥⌘-click to draw the fade on one of them and it will draw said fade on all selected items.

There's also the special case where items in multiple tracks end at the same point. You can just select them and drawing the fade on one does all of them but without the need for the ⌥⌘-click.

Disclaimer: I think ⌥⌘-click is the default. But I may have changed it and forgot, in which case you'll have to hunt for the shortcut.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
alex1073

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If your items don't end at the same point, on PC, it's ctrl + alt.

Cheers,
Alex
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1073 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cheers,
Alex
I often wonder about the reason behind that distinction, as opposed to just always doing it for any selected clips.

Anyone know?
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Select all the items you want to draw fades on. ⌥⌘-click to draw the fade on one of them and it will draw said fade on all selected items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1073 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's a quick and easy way but it's also sort of assuming the items are all nearly lined up on the end.

If that's not the case then I think a Sub-Bus would be a quick and easy way to do it and get it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I often wonder about the reason behind that distinction, as opposed to just always doing it for any selected clips.

Anyone know?
No I don't know but I agree.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
That's a quick and easy way but it's also sort of assuming the items are all nearly lined up on the end.
This is the modifier (⌥⌘-click) for when items are NOT lined up. Multiple items can even be on the same track or anywhere and have zero positional relation to each other.

The special case of items lined up in multiple tracks with the same end point needs no modifier.

Trying to communicate keyboard shortcuts/modifiers (and this includes the manual) turns into a comedy pretty quickly since you can modify them for your own custom preferences. (You can even disable control-click menus and use control for additional modifiers, swap command & control, etc. Then add in Windows keyboards using a 'Windows' key in place of 'Command' and calling 'option' 'alt'...)

Now when I read about a shortcut, I just start mashing keys until I find it. It only takes a couple custom modifications to make even the manual read like a different language.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
This is the modifier (⌥⌘-click) for when items are NOT lined up. Multiple items can even be on the same track or anywhere and have zero positional relation to each other.
Thanks serr and yes I know about that. I'm on a PC so it's "Ctrl-Alt".
Old 08-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
5string

tks guys

control+command works fine for me as all my tracks finish up together

i can always count on the reaper geeks

thanks again
5string

ps don't know how you make the fancy little symbols for control and command orn the mac (or i would have used them)
Old 08-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #10
hopi

If all you tracks finish together, you might actually have much nicer control of how the fade proceeds by using automation of the volume.

you could easily do this two ways but I'll give the simpler way ...

put all the tracks into a folder, put volume automation on the folder track, go to where you want the fade to begin and put in an evelope point, then another where it ends.... remember you can set the shape of automation points as well so they can be lines or curves... and you can have as many points between the start and end as you care to have.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
5string

sounds like a plan - i'll give it a try

thanks hopi !!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:10 AM   #12
luiso

you can also try this...
for fading out items:
1. place your edit cursor where you want the fade to start
2. select the items you wat to fade
3. actions - SWS/AW: Fade in/out/crossfade selected area of selected items
it works GREAT for me, i even have it as my default X key for fades,

and besides the sub out folder automation trick also can use the MASTER automation envelope,
so when i want a Master fade i just automate it, if you are using some kind of dynamics processing on the master having the volume down BEFORE the processor will affect your sound so i would use the Master out envelope in that case...
cheers
luiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #13
TimOBrien

Personally, I prefer to render out the final stereo file and then do the fade-out on it.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
Mr. Data

There is also the option to group faders (or other controls) where one of them can (but doesn't necessary have to) be master and the others are slave.

It is best to make the fader with the highest setting the master (or create an extra empty track/channel with the fader set to max). all the slaves can be moved independently still, but the master moves all relatively to their values.

For automation all slaves (as well as the master) have to be automation record armed, if they should follow the master.

-Data