Old 10-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #1
mete0r
Human being with feelings

Default Big audio file "lag"

When chopping up and using small portions of a big audio file (for example, a bar one minute in the audio file) without gluing them, the reaper interface starts to lag a lot and there is a big delay before the audio begins if you start the playback from near the chopped portion.

The solutions is just to glue the bits, but maybe there is a simple fix/optimization that can be made?

(also not sure if this is exactly the right place, but since it's not really a big problem...)
mete0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
Tim Ragnur

I'm guessing this could be because you are running the project in a different sample rate than the audio file(s). If so, each items will be showing a tourquis rectangle with "i" in upper left corner.
This means a lot of computer power is beeing spend on live resampling, causing big latency.

So either match project SR to that of the audio file (preferable) - or glue everything (which will make new files with project SR).
Sample rate is set in Project settings.
View audio file sample rate by item double clicking, then click properties.
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Argitoth

im working with a 16gig wav file, gluing didn't help because the wav file would still be part of the project. Undoing, healing, sometimes splitting would take forever. I had to convert the file to ogg to get anything done. Changing audio interface samplerate to match wav file didn't help. I think using FLAC would not be a good idea because that's essentially a zipped wav file, as I understand it, and it seemed that caused problems as well.

Last edited by Argitoth; 10-19-2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo
Argitoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
TimOBrien

Are you running audio tracks on a separate dedicated hard drive? (You should)
Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
mete0r

@TimOBrien, I am. It's a regular hard drive though, not an ssd.

@Tim Ragnur, while I am not, a lot of the chopping up involves pitch shifting and time stretching (with and without the pitch preservation), so I'm guessing there's not much I can do except gluing/freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argitoth View Post
im working with a 16gig wav file, gluing didn't help because the wav file would still be part of the project. Undoing, healing, sometimes splitting would take forever. I had to convert the file to ogg to get anything done. Changing audio interface samplerate to match wav file didn't help. I think using FLAC would not be a good idea because that's essentially a zipped wav file, as I understand it, and it seemed that caused problems as well.
ouch. I am using flac though, so I will try temporarily switching to wav to see if it improves the situation.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Argitoth

if wav doesn't work: convert to ogg, work non-destructively. when you're ready, replace the media with the wav version.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
mete0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argitoth View Post
replace the media with the wav version.
Whoa, I didn't even think you could do this. I will definitely try it.
And by the way, I'll post later in the chaos jsfx thread, but... whoa. It's the coolest audio-thing I heard since I don't know when.